Author Topic: What IS killing the game?  (Read 63989 times)

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Che Guevara's American Cousin
  • Donator
  • Ex-NANWL Moderator | #RemoveAussies
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gluk The Walrus
  • Side: Union
Re: What IS killing the game?
« Reply #225 on: April 20, 2019, 10:49:07 am »
This is the natural life cycle of games. The stronger the community, the longer the game lasts. Truth is is that this is a very niche concept, Mount and Blade, an already niche indie title, but WITH MUSKETS AND HISTORY! Most of the people who think that this stuff is cool has already found this game and played it and left already, most likely never to return. If people want this game to keep going, you have to get the teenagers. Maybe add in a battle royale game mode or loot crates with musket skins and uniforms or something.

Offline Aztir

• Donator
  • Age of Napoleon Team lead
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #226 on: April 22, 2019, 12:21:15 pm »

You're right on the hybrid problem. Regiments seem to want to be the largest and often over-extend. The 59th regiment has never had merges or ever allowed a none-59th member to walk into the 59th. The merit of community matters and many regiments fall in that regard. From 2015-2018 we were the largest and most competitive big regiment in NW and there weren't many rivalries. 77y dropped off, 63e lost all companies. Only the 59th, 33rd and what remained of the K-KA could field three competitive companies in an event.

Spoiler
[close]

But in regards of the community as a whole,
its ofc going to go down in size over time, you cant force people to stick around and play an old game.
There will be newer and more appealing games coming out regularly for people to spend their time on.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 12:31:50 pm by Aztir »

Offline sirkaide

• Captain
  • Founder/Former leader of the 59th, NRP & Jailbreak
    • View Profile
    • 59th Website
  • Nick: Not politically correct
« Reply #227 on: April 23, 2019, 12:18:09 pm »

Mate, you made half a dozen regiments, with entirely different members and none survive today. It was leaders like yourself that tried to get their regiment to disband once the CO left. Great regiments like the 33rd, 63e, 59th, 15YR survived and thrived with their founding leader stepping down. Gaming and friendship communities regiments survive. The regiments you mentioned "91st/92nd/84e/14e/8Lr/etc" are all long gone. Regiments like the 33rd and 59th have been around for three times their life-span. I struggle to see why people like to see NW in 2013 as the golden years. I am probably the only leader, who managed a large regiment in 2013 and still plays in 2019. I think the community on the whole at the moment is much nicer and friendlier than back in 2013.

Infact, I remember seeing FSE posts in 2013/2014 of people leaving saying the community got cancer. The problem is FSE should have further developed the game. Life cycle is critical to any product. Adding the Rhine, for example, is a typical mistake. Adding a re-skin of France/Prussia over a new faction such as Ottoman Empire is mind-boggling. There could have been a range of new countries added; from Spain to Portugal to the USA. Personally I think the Ottomon Empire, simply due to the large amount of Turks playing atm.

You're right on the hybrid problem. Regiments seem to want to be the largest and often over-extend. The 59th regiment has never had merges or ever allowed a none-59th member to walk into the 59th. The merit of community matters and many regiments fall in that regard. From 2015-2018 we were the largest and most competitive big regiment in NW and there weren't many rivalries. 77y dropped off, 63e lost all companies. Only the 59th, 33rd and what remained of the K-KA could field three competitive companies in an event.

The 59th spent a year in Holdfast, and has walked back into NW as one of the biggest and competitive regiments in NW. It does take community and the 63e not returning from Holdfast speaks volume about NW atm.

Alas.

Just to be perfectly clear, I am not answering this to stir drama or anything of the sort but you have a very particular way of seeing your regiment Kaide and while a large part of what you say is true, I also feel you are completely misleading yourself on several other aspects. You can claim the 59th is the best NW community, has been and will ever be, that's completely fine by me. Saying you are also one of the regiments which was active back in the days and still is nowadays (in comparison to the aforementioned regiments) is still more than a fair point, despite the break /  temporary move to Holdfast.

However, I really fail to understand how you can believe that the 59th has ever been in contention for the title of the most competitive and largest regiment of NW. Obviously, it's not the term 'largest' being wrong here (even if I'd say it's pretty hard to prove over a time-lapse of 8 years), but the competitive one. The 59th has never achieved any relevant placing against the regiments you mentioned. While I am pretty sure there are several results you can be proud of against these top regiments, you have never been even close to them in term of competitiveness. You were never a rival of the 8Lr, 91st, 92nd, 14e, K-KA, 84e. You were actually far from being even close to playing in the same field.

I am not trying to take away what you accomplished with the 59th, only a fool would. I am genuinely (and I meant it), happy to see old faces such as yours playing NW again and I also strongly believe that regiments who lasted over time such as the 59th had much more of a positive influence over the community rather than regiment which were created on the basis of recruiting already experienced and skilled players to beat other top regiments, but failed to survive the longevity test.

But going around (because that's not the first time I see you doing this) and claiming you have been the most competitive 'big' regiment in NW from 2015-2018 is living in your little fantasy world.

You missed and grasped what I saying. Which is fine. I didn't expect any less from people who go on FSE. I said "most competitive 'big' regiment in NW from 2015-2018". That indeed is true. Only the KKA and the 33rd could field three companies and fight us. Our Cav and Light company were very good and competitive. Line isn't the only competitive element in NW. I remember in NWL the 91st and K-KA would often only bringing 20 people, meanwhile, the 59th would bring often bring 30-40. We didn't care about being the very best. We had a large population that wanted to play competitively.
When I say big regiments, I mean regiments that could field multiple companies and was bigger than 40+. I am happy to say that I fought all the great melee regiments and still leading the 59th from 2013 to 2019. I am in a unique position. Likely the only person, maybe John Price too.

You said here " 8Lr, 91st, 92nd, 14e, K-KA, 84e." They all died because their regiments couldn't attract people anymore. Them regiments failed, either because their leaders didn't want to continue (and forced them to disband) or they couldn't attract enough players. Them regiments you mention are all gone and have been for a long time. I have no idea why people see 2013-2014 as the glory years lmao. I lead the 59th from 2013-2019 and they were not the golden years.  Again I will say again the "59th has been the most competitive 'big' regiment in NW from 2015-2018". Our Line, Cav and Light company were amongst the best. The 59th was never the best line company but certainly up there having been in NWL League one and fought all them regiments. Only the 33rd, 77y, K-KA and the 59th. The 59th and 15YR coalition beat the 33rd/77y brigade in the NW brigade cup and we proved that the 59th with Line, Light and Cav (with 15YR) was unbeatable. 

In terms of line, it is quite clear, the 59th Line Company was never at the very top, however, we have been at the top tier. I'll post again, the 14e, 91st, and 91nd etc all failed to survive in NW and therefore for me don't deserve to be regarded as anything special. The greatest line company in NW for me between 2013-2019 is the 77y and the 15YR. Survived for years, entered all the competitions. 91st couldn't attract many people towards the end, I know I attended their events and was good friends with Deans, the Lt Col. There attendance dropped off like all the big regiments.

Its fine Tardet. Good people like yourself have never been able to understand NW outside of a 20v20 linebattle or group fight. You keep living in 2013/2014 and thinking that the 14e and 91st were the top dogs. They're gone now and we remain. For me the 77y, KK-KA, 59th, 33rd are on a different tier than the same old melee regiments that hover up the same old players. The 15YR never had three companies, but for me is the best line along with the 77y in longevity and skill. It is all opinions. I never said we were the best line, or the best cav, but collectively, we were unbeatable. 60-70 attendance, three companies, working together, glorious.

If you don't think the 59th is currently the biggest competitive regiment in NW atm, please find a regiment for us to 1v1, that can field 60 people or three companies, I challenge you to find a regiment that A) would accept. B) would win. The 33rd recently said NO. And the K-KA and 77y have dropped off sadly. If you cannot, I will continue saying the 59th is the largest and most competitive regiment in NW. Opinions matter, so lets make it factual, find us a large regiment to 1v1. Most regiments in the EIC only bring 13 people! So please don't misrepresent me. I know the skill of the old melee regiments and I dare not compare our melee to theirs man for man. Though like a horde of Zulus we would win. For me, the greatest ever regiment was the K-KA won both the NWL and the CNWL (Cav NWL).

Spoiler
Nothing but the truth off his chest

Considering you got an FSE account 2015. I have no idea how you can evaluate what is the truth and what is opinion.
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

But in regards of the community as a whole,
its ofc going to go down in size over time, you cant force people to stick around and play an old game.
There will be newer and more appealing games coming out regularly for people to spend their time on.

All leaders have egos. Mine was considerably less than other leaders. I was happy the 59th continued without me after I stepped down. Unlike 90% of leaders. But believe me, my ego was nothing like Tavingtons or Malkiaths or Donalds. Even people like Karth, Spoons Primus and Obilex had giant egos.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 12:57:31 pm by sirkaide »

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Irish
« Reply #228 on: April 23, 2019, 12:56:12 pm »
*snip*

Essay me fam
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 01:14:23 pm by Herishey »

Offline sirkaide

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • 59th Website
« Reply #229 on: April 23, 2019, 01:00:15 pm »
*snip*

Essay me fam

It is only a game mate. No need for personal insults. Judging someones physical appearance over an internet game?

Strange as well considering the 59th borrowed our server to help you (15YR) host your event last week. Seems you're the one with the slit personality.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 01:31:44 pm by sirkaide »

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 23, 2019, 01:03:02 pm »
*snip*

Essay me fam

It is only a game mate. No need for personal insults. Judging someones physical appearance over a internet game? How classy. 

Strange as well considering the 59th borrowed our server to help you (15YR) host your event last week. Seems you're the one with the slit personality.

Alright Paddy
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 01:14:51 pm by Herishey »

Offline sirkaide

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • 59th Website
« Reply #231 on: April 23, 2019, 01:07:32 pm »
From day one I was under the impression Kaide was a big headed british nationalistic scumbag with no endearing social qualities to apparently anybody outside of the 59th. Bipolar ? Split personality ? Forehead fetish ?

Essay me fam

It is only a game mate. No need for personal insults. Judging someones physical appearance over a internet game? How classy. 

Alright Paddy

Clearly, you didn't know lol. Probs should be more polite to people who went out of their way to help your regiment last week?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 01:10:24 pm by sirkaide »

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 23, 2019, 01:10:02 pm »
*snip*

Essay me fam

Alright Paddy

Clearly, you didn't know lol. Probs should be more polite to people who went out of their way to help your regiment last week?

Lol
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 01:15:04 pm by Herishey »

Offline sirkaide

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • 59th Website
« Reply #233 on: April 23, 2019, 01:11:38 pm »
*snip*

Essay me fam

Alright Paddy

Lol

Took me a good hour with poor internet signal on the train to try and get you a server. I went well out of my way to help you fellas. Obvs, you're not an officer so didn't know. Be a man and apologise.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 01:15:24 pm by Herishey »

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 23, 2019, 01:12:55 pm »
*snip*

Essay me fam

Alright Paddy

Lol

Took me a good hour with poor internet signal on the train to try and get you a server. I went well out of my way to help you fellas.

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 01:15:44 pm by Herishey »

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #235 on: April 23, 2019, 01:32:52 pm »
Will try to answer when I can, cheers for taking the time to answer my post in a respectful manner despite the clear disagreements or different opinions.

For all the morons who cannot take part in an argument/discussion without throwing ad-hominem insults, I encourage you to stick to the M-NWWC or M. Points. Your comments probably won't be met with more enthusiasm there, but at least will they fit the general atmosphere of said threads.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Offline Piercee

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • SOUTH AFRICAN WAR DOG - NWWC 2019 WINNER
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 23, 2019, 01:39:08 pm »
just fyi, if irish insults you on your looks don't even take it serious lol

::)

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 23, 2019, 01:39:53 pm »
just fyi, if irish insults you on your looks don't even take it serious lol

::)

There's no trees here Icegem

Offline Kulouš

• Colonel
  • Jsme Češi! Nikdy se nevzdáme! Slyšíte?! Nikdy!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Kulouš
« Reply #238 on: April 23, 2019, 01:59:28 pm »
Ban s keying

Offline Piercee

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • SOUTH AFRICAN WAR DOG - NWWC 2019 WINNER
    • View Profile