Author Topic: Napoleonic Wars League [Season 1-4]  (Read 927969 times)

Offline Evanovic

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Evan
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Napoleonic Wars League
« Reply #2685 on: February 05, 2014, 09:48:07 pm »
I don't know what Nutty did but to me it looks like Hekko (and some other guys) you are trying to justify insulting or any form of offensiveness in chat. You say that the Spartans weren't mature enough to use the mute button, but if Nutty was mature enough not to insult they surely shouldn't have needed to use the mute button? If you are going to call someone immature for not using the mute button and you are justifying the other guy insulting, or at least saying what Nutty did wasn't wrong ... that is rather weird if you ask me.

I find the word 'rekt' insulting. Everyone who says that word should be banned from NWL. See wherein the problem lies? There was no rule before this incident and the rule as it is highly subjective and exploitable. We are a rational group of people who are defending principles, not Nutty's maturity, vague and subjective rules lead to all sorts of drama. That drama is all avoidable by simple usage of the 'mute' button, because that empowers a person to censor things they find insulting without imposing their own standards and beliefs on others. I think it is pretty clear though that the motive behind this complaint was not really offense-driven, it was largely to do with the final score and rivalry - and my point is, put simply, that it's unhealthy for the community to let 'butthurt' people exploit vague rules or 'etiquettes' like that in order to get one over on their rival, that's 'unsportsmanly'.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:53:46 pm by Evanovic »
Aliases: Evan | Evanovic | Evan Fraser | Previous Regiments: 3rd | 13e | 15e | 91st | Nr.24 | 15thYR | 17e Legion d'Honneur | Now Retired

Tournament Wins: 3x NW Duel Champion (5x Finalist) | 1x 2vs2 Tournament | 1x 3vs3 Tournament | 11x Groupfighting Tournament (Minions, Argyll, PowerRangers) | 3x National Groupfighting Tournament (UK Team) | 3x Regimental Groupfighting Tournament (Nr.24, 17e) | 3x Regimental League (91st, Nr.24) | EU vs NA Linebattle 2016 (Team EU)

Graphics Work: Groupfighting Tournament | NWEC

Offline Hekko

• Captain
  • I host stuff
    • View Profile
    • 15e Website
  • Nick: Nr24_Gren_Hptm_Hekko
« Reply #2686 on: February 05, 2014, 09:48:37 pm »
More of a technicality, but since both parties are in a dwelling it's not really applicable in this case.

Secondly, you have what Evan said.

And thirdly what Maurice said.

Fourth, if we apply the US Brandenburger test to the situation Nutty would be completely innocent in the eyes of the law.

I don't know what Nutty did but to me it looks like Hekko (and some other guys) you are trying to justify insulting or any form of offensiveness in chat. You say that the Spartans weren't mature enough to use the mute button, but if Nutty was mature enough not to insult they surely shouldn't have needed to use the mute button? If you are going to call someone immature for not using the mute button and you are justifying the other guy insulting, or at least saying what Nutty did wasn't wrong ... that is rather weird if you ask me.

I am not calling what Nutty did mature. But the fact that he was not being perfectly polite does not validate what is being done to him, nor the precedent that is being made.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:50:36 pm by Hekko »

Offline MrSt3fan

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 33rd_Col_MrSt3fan
« Reply #2687 on: February 05, 2014, 09:49:40 pm »

If you were there and understood the triviality of what Nutty was saying, you would realise how petty his ban was.

Well I don't want to say banning Nutty was right or not as I obviously wasn't there so I can't judge it (isn't there a video of the Lb?) but from what I have read the blame is being put on the Spartans for not using the mute button and feeling offended by whatever has been said, and not on Nutty for actually being offensive (as the Spartans were offended by it I will call it offensive) which is rather strange if you ask me.

Anyway, before this discussion goes on for another 10 pages lets wait for the video to be released so we can actually properly judge if the ban was justified or not, as that is what the discussion originally was about, shall we?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:52:02 pm by MrSt3fan »

Offline Hekko

• Captain
  • I host stuff
    • View Profile
    • 15e Website
« Reply #2688 on: February 05, 2014, 09:51:53 pm »
Well I don't want to say banning Nutty was right or not as I obviously wasn't there so I can't judge it (isn't there a video of the Lb?) but from what I have read the blame is being put on the Spartans for not using the mute button and feeling offended by whatever has been said, and not on Nutty for actually being offensive (as the Spartans were offended by it I will call it offensive) which is rather strange if you ask me.

You have to see the wider context. They choose not to use Mute and then make a frivolous complaint afterwards rather than just muting him. A major part of the problem is with the organizers acting on the frivolous complaint though. The existence of the mute button is essentially just a prerequisite to show that the complaint is frivolous.

I hope this makes sense.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:53:51 pm by Hekko »

Offline Vorlen

• Second Lieutenant
  • [Nr.24]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: February 05, 2014, 09:52:59 pm »
I'm offended and insulted a regiment in the first league turned up with 17 players out of a potential 35.....

Offline MrSt3fan

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: February 05, 2014, 09:53:06 pm »

You have to see the wider context. They choose not to use Mute and then make a frivolous complaint afterwards rather than just muting him.

Well, you are basically saying they were wrong for complaining for something they were offended by for the simple reason there is a mute button? Shouldn't he have not insulted them in the first place?

Offline Hadhod

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Lt_John_MacKintosh
« Reply #2691 on: February 05, 2014, 09:55:10 pm »
I know of course that the law would not be applicable in this situation, no one said anything about sueing Nutty for that. I merely used it as an example that you can't use insults in daily life (as you stated it would be allowed).
I did not know that Nutty's insult was directed at the Spartans as a whole, however since he then meant all of them everyone is insulted, an even worse offense.

Offline Hekko

• Captain
  • I host stuff
    • View Profile
    • 15e Website
« Reply #2692 on: February 05, 2014, 09:55:29 pm »
Well, you are basically saying they were wrong for complaining for something they were offended by for the simple reason there is a mute button? Shouldn't he have not insulted them in the first place?

Well, if we are to hardline it. There is not rule against insults. End of. The decision is wrong and should be overturned.

After that is done we can have a separate discussion about whether or not a rule should be made for the next season.

Offline Joseph Graham

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2693 on: February 05, 2014, 09:55:45 pm »
He does raise a fair point; when it comes to the internet a fair few issues can be circumvented by clicking the ignore button rather than throwing toys out of the pram and having a hissy fit because that's what you've been indoctrinated to do.

Offline Evanovic

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: February 05, 2014, 09:57:22 pm »
I know of course that the law would not be applicable in this situation, no one said anything about sueing Nutty for that. I merely used it as an example that you can't use insults in daily life (as you stated it would be allowed).
I did not know that Nutty's insult was directed at the Spartans as a whole, however since he then meant all of them everyone is insulted, an even worse offense.

No he directed them at us Nr.24s, prove he didn't? He didn't address anyone specifically, he just made vague, and actually rather weird I might say, statements with a few sensitive words in them. Hardly worthy of any ban.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:59:05 pm by Evanovic »
Aliases: Evan | Evanovic | Evan Fraser | Previous Regiments: 3rd | 13e | 15e | 91st | Nr.24 | 15thYR | 17e Legion d'Honneur | Now Retired

Tournament Wins: 3x NW Duel Champion (5x Finalist) | 1x 2vs2 Tournament | 1x 3vs3 Tournament | 11x Groupfighting Tournament (Minions, Argyll, PowerRangers) | 3x National Groupfighting Tournament (UK Team) | 3x Regimental Groupfighting Tournament (Nr.24, 17e) | 3x Regimental League (91st, Nr.24) | EU vs NA Linebattle 2016 (Team EU)

Offline Maurice

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: February 05, 2014, 09:57:46 pm »

If you were there and understood the triviality of what Nutty was saying, you would realise how petty his ban was.

The blame is most definitely shared by Nutty, the Spartans and the unlettered decisions taken by the event organisers. I'm going to go out on a whim, of which is probably correct, and say that the Spartans were just annoyed at their defeat and sought comfort in knowing that one of our members who annoyed them a little during the match (which by the way was from one person to a collective of around 20 people, ridiculous, I know).

Offline Hadhod

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Lt_John_MacKintosh
« Reply #2696 on: February 05, 2014, 09:58:48 pm »

Well, if we are to hardline it. There is not rule against insults. End of. The decision is wrong and should be overturned.

After that is done we can have a separate discussion about whether or not a rule should be made for the next season.
It is common courtesy to not insult other people. If we go by your logic people are allowed to use Autoblock in the games, because it's not set in stone in the rules either.

No he directed them at us Nr.24s, prove he didn't? He didn't address anyone specifically, he just made vague, and actually rather weird I might say, statements (his maturity is irrelevant here), with a few sensitive words in them. Hardly worthy of any ban.
Once again, I do not know what Nutty has done, I am merely defending the point that insulting is generally considered to not be allowed anywhere.

Offline MrSt3fan

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: February 05, 2014, 09:59:00 pm »

Do you really think there should be a rule against insulting? It should be common sense (and I know it is) that you don't insult, and if an insult goes to far it can result in consequences. The point you are bringing up is just for the sake of bringing it up, you know it is nonsense.

Offline Vorlen

• Second Lieutenant
  • [Nr.24]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: February 05, 2014, 10:01:20 pm »

No he directed them at us Nr.24s, prove he didn't? He didn't address anyone specifically, he just made vague, and actually rather weird I might say, statements (his maturity is irrelevant here), with a few sensitive words in them. Hardly worthy of any ban.

That is actually 100% true.

And this video... Lol.... they void a round when it's 2vs15(roughly) when our new member shoots a guy in melee, which is fine, its a rule break but we had that round regardless...

AND THEN.... try to say that when a player drops from their team after a round has started we should also drop a player because the round is only 20 secs in, which is also fine... by the rules

So sporting....

Offline Evanovic

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: February 05, 2014, 10:03:45 pm »
Do you really think there should be a rule against insulting? It should be common sense (and I know it is) that you don't insult, and if an insult goes to far it can result in consequences. The point you are bringing up is just for the sake of bringing it up, you know it is nonsense.

You see, a better way of going about this is to make a list or criteria of words that someone should not use, because then you actually define what is 'insulting'. 'Insulting' is different from everyone's perspective, it's called subjectivity, and there's a reason why laws and rules are very specific, so subjectivity cannot exploit their interpretation. Anyway, points been made a million times, probably not going to bang on anymore, unless someone brings a new perspective on it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:08:06 pm by Evanovic »