Author Topic: Best Dressed Warrior  (Read 81347 times)

Offline Commissar Jdf

• General
    • View Profile
  • Nick: USMC_Maj_CommissarJdf
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Best Dressed Warrior
« Reply #165 on: December 05, 2013, 03:50:01 am »
I got attacked by he Klan once!

Not kidding, they actually tried to burn down my house. This is when I lived in New York -_-

Are...you...black?

Offline weaverwarrior12

• First Lieutenant
  • God with us!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 10thBI_SGfr_Stormtrooper
« Reply #166 on: December 05, 2013, 03:50:16 am »

Not kidding, they actually tried to burn down my house. This is when I lived in New York -_-

Yeah that's pretty bad. There are some really stupid and violent gang-like klan groups out there.

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #167 on: December 05, 2013, 03:50:54 am »
The KKK had a reason, not that I agree with it, but they had their reason.

Well, yeah they did. But if I'm gonna go around killing innocent people I'm at least going to have better ranks than "Grand Wizard" and "Master Dragon".

I'm not glorifying the KKK here, but I'd love to have the rank Grand Wizard or Master Dragon.
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #168 on: December 05, 2013, 04:00:03 am »

Are...you...black?

Klan has gone after people who aren't black. Jews, Catholics, Latinos, basically anyone who isn't a WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant). After 9/11, that rift grew to include Arabs (Note I say Arabs, not just Muslims. Maronites and Orthodox Arabs get attacked also).

Could be worse, my house didn't actually get damaged. The Cops showed up and put all of the dumb bastards in jail for 3 years straight. They did get to the mosque however... funny how the National News only reports when a Church or Synagauge goes up in flames, but who cares if the sandn*ggers' place got torched!

Ok, I'm ranting now. I'm going to stop. Basically, KKK sucks.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:12:44 am by ClearlyInvsible »
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Ryner

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #169 on: December 05, 2013, 04:07:26 am »

Have to say the 18th Mass.

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #170 on: December 05, 2013, 05:35:51 am »
That uniform is so eerily similar to a mid-late 19th century Belgian uniform that when I first saw it I was like "Oh wow, somebody besides me is posting Belgians!"

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 05, 2013, 06:12:53 am »
Spoiler
[close]

Heres a tintype of that uniform

Offline Romulus

• Second Lieutenant
  • The bullet is a fool, the bayonet is a fine chap.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Romulus
« Reply #172 on: December 05, 2013, 08:22:36 am »
Spoiler
[close]

Dem Blue pants

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #173 on: December 05, 2013, 11:04:54 am »
That uniform is so eerily similar to a mid-late 19th century Belgian uniform that when I first saw it I was like "Oh wow, somebody besides me is posting Belgians!"

Looks more early 20th century Italian to me. Im guessing its stolen from French chasseurs in the first place.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 07:48:06 pm by Archduke Sven »

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #174 on: December 05, 2013, 01:33:59 pm »
Besides, do we have any evidence that these wings created this supposed whistle and if so, is it proven that it is loud enough to annoy a horse and make it "go nuts?"

They make the sound alright.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 05, 2013, 05:25:46 pm »

Looks more early 19th century Italian to me. Im guessing its stolen from French chasseurs in the first place.
I just read on a thread on the taleworlds forum that the uniform in the picture was an "Imported French Chasseur uniform" which explains it lol, Belgian and French uniforms were practically identical although Belgians used less red and their chasseurs wore green coats instead of blue. Kind of smarter I think, but that's besides the point.

To contribute to the topic, I give you gentlemen the Belgian Legion!  A bunch of badasses!

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
The one on the right
[close]
Officer and mounted trooper
[close]
Infantry Drummer, Voltigeur with fanion, Grenadier, Voltigeur
[close]
Big Image
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Some officers
Lt. Palmaert
[close]
Major Tydgagt (Killed in the Battle of Tacambaro
[close]
Captain De Schrynmaekers
[close]
Doctor Lejeune (Was murdered by a Mexican sharpshooter after the Battle of Tacambaro)
[close]
Colonel Alfred Van Der Smissen during the campaign
[close]
Alfred Van Der Smissen all fancy like
[close]

By the way, Battle of Tacambaro, pretty badass story if you want me to tell it.

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
« Reply #176 on: December 05, 2013, 06:20:40 pm »
Officer and mounted trooper
[close]

What!? Did they use the bayonets as lances??!!

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 05, 2013, 06:37:22 pm »
No. Many cavarlymen had bayonets - in the Napoleonic French army even the Chasseurs de la Garde had them.

Remember this is a modern drawing, not a period photo...

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 05, 2013, 07:38:58 pm »
I wouldn't put it past the Belgian Legion, these are the same men who stood 300 against 3000+ and suffered roughly 100 casualtes (only a small margin where actually killed) and inflicted more than 300 casualties on the Republicans. They entrenched themselves in Tacambaro and fought for 5 hours waiting for reinforcements that never came. They repelled assault after assault of Republican Mexicans and on at least 3 known separate occasions they actually launched counter attacks with bayonets. Eventually the Belgians pulled back into the center of the village and barricaded themselves in the church where they continued fighting even after all of their officers had been killed or wounded. Eventually the Mexican'ts decided to say "Fuck this amigo" and lit the church on fire at which point the Belgians were forced to surrender. Once the Belgians were captured, the Mexican'ts threatened to execute them if they didn't sign a protest against Maximillian (The Austrian Emperor who was married to a Belgian woman, this is why Belgian Legion was in Mexico) but they said "Fuck that shit" and the Mexican'ts decided not to execute them considering 300 Belgians just ass pounded 3000 of their amigos and the fact that if they just execute 200ish prisoners their ass is grass. Eventually they were exchanged and Republican Mexico was all like "woohoo we're all cool and shit" and then the Belgian Legion came back to Tacambaro and kicked their asses and took the village and then the Republican Mexican'ts were all like "oh shit we suck." Eventually the war was lost but not at the hands of the Belgian Legion who consistently kicked ass, it was pretty much because the US was like "Hey France get yer dudes out of Mexico, we like the Republican Mexican'ts better because Merica and stuff so go away or we'll attack yer Mexico guys." And so France backed off for some reason and left Mexico.

The Belgian Legion was disbanded in 1866 after an impressive service record. It's commander, Colonel Alfred Van Der Smissen became an officer of the Royal Guard I believe and his experience fighting insurgents came in handy when he suppressed a workers revolt in Liege. Van Der Smissen was a bad ass motherfucker who fought in the French Foreign Legion in Algeria where he first learned how to fight insurgent losers and in 80 days he fought 26 battles and punched the rebels' poop in. In Mexico he was extremely annoyed with the French top commander, Marshal Bazaine, because he was being irrationally cautious and conservative whereas Van Der Smissen was all about the offense. At one point when word had arrived that a large Republican column was advancing south, Van Der Smissen asked Maximilian for permission to lead a division of Imperial Mexicans, French Foreign Legionnaires, and the Austro-Belgian brigade which would have been the vanguard. He vowed that a great victory would be won and that it would change the whole war and the Emperor was fascinated with the idea but nothing ever became of it. It shows Van Der Smissen's aggressive tactics and bravado though and he was one of the Empresses favorite people. He eventually committed suicide because his mental and physical health had deteriorated with old age and he couldn't stand to not be capable of doing his job so he ate a bullet for breakfast.

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
« Reply #179 on: December 05, 2013, 11:02:28 pm »
No. Many cavarlymen had bayonets - in the Napoleonic French army even the Chasseurs de la Garde had them.

Remember this is a modern drawing, not a period photo...
hmm.
Why didn't anyone use extra long muskets with bayonets on as lances. I think it would work well.