Poll

Your favorite faction of the 41st Millenia

Imperial Guardsmen! I love mass infantry invasions!
Tau! For the greater good!
Necrons! Who wouldn't want to be them?
Space Marines! Genetically Enhanced Warriors of the Imperium FTW!
Chaos Space Marines! Fur Nurgle!
Orkz! I likez to lootz!

Author Topic: Warhammer 40,000 Universe!  (Read 25284 times)

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
  • Side: Confederacy
Warhammer 40,000 Universe!
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:55:44 pm »
What this forum is really missing is some 40k thread, here we shall discuss everything 40k-ish! From Codex's to famous warriors!

First of all. Quote of le month

"Statistically, you will almost certainly die when assaulting a well-maintained fortress with a competent commander. You must strive to make your death useful." ~Training Manual, Penal Legion, Suicide Bomb Squads

Poll Added!

EDIT: 40,000 Mod for NW here : https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=3242.0
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:04:23 am by Desert Thunda »

Offline Matthew

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • ლ(◕◡◕ლ) oly gaym y u heff 2 b med
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Matthew ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Warhammer 40,000 Universe!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:31:46 pm »
Pain is temporary, honour is forever!
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." - Mikhail Bakunin
"Dispassionate, fair, equal"
Oh you wanted a serious response, why didn't you just say so.
b2e98ad6f6eb8508dd6a14cfa704bad7f05f6fb

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 01:39:00 pm »
The Death Korps of Krieg. I am sure many of you love these true Warriors

(Krieg means "War" In German)

Recruitment & Training

By order of the High Lords of Terra Krieg's sole purpose is to produce new regiments for the meat grinder, and its tithes are the maximum possible for the planet's population, supplying over fifty million men per year. This includes the use of unusual methods such as "Vitae Womb" birthing techniques, a practice seen as dangerous and abhorrent by the Adeptus Mechanicus' Magos Biologis but tolerated by the Departmento Munitorium, while others such as a eugenics program to weed out mutants is simply a continuation of policy from the civil war years.
Recruitment starts almost from birth, and the ability to withstand the hardships of living on an atomic-blasted world is enhanced further with brutal training designed to quickly weed out the weak and unworthy. Mental conditioning is a key part of a Krieg recruit's training, their minds purposefully broken and remade stronger, and absolute faith in the Emperor is installed at an early age, amplifying preexisting cultural norms regarding honour and self-sacrifice to create what the Ecclesiarchy calls a "cult of sacrifice." It also emphasis their role as an element in the greater picture, a pebble in the avalanche which will crush the enemies of the Emperor; as an individual they do not matter, which is why medals and other awards are unheard-of in Krieg regiments, especially since bravery and heroism is to be expected. Rates of injury and fatality during training are high, and as a final test all recruits are forced to endure the surface of Krieg itself, performing maneuvers and fighting mock battles amidst the nuclear-blasted battlefields that cover their world. Only those who survive this final phase of training become members of the Death Korps.
The resulting Guardsman is a highly disciplined and self-sufficient soldier, proficient in all basic Imperial Guard weaponry types, with exemplary hand-to-hand skills and expertise in the construction of trench works. Accuracy is desirable but ultimately secondary to the importance of the fire discipline and the ability to maintain continuous fire en mass as part of a larger formation. In particular the Krieg Guardsman is well-versed in hazardous environment survival and exhibits high levels of endurance both mentally and physically. He is also given a numerical designation, such as 769355-637566-Keled or 566-648-87991-72-Draeta, so that his death can be more easily tallied. His near-fanatical devotion to becoming a martyr for the Emperor does lead to a few issues off the battlefield, with a tendency towards insularity and a high degree of fatalism which expresses itself in ways non-Krieg persons can find unsettling, such as refusing to take off his rebreather even when not in combat.
As opposed to other worlds with an aristocratic military tradition, Krieg officers are drawn from the rank and file, achieving promotion through skill, seniority, and in many cases simple survival. If selected during basic training potential officers must complete an additional training course, with most of those being selected having already been chosen for Death Rider duty. In the field new officers are promoted from the ranks, typically having served as Watchmasters or within Death Rider squadrons. Officers right up to the regimental level typically fight on the front lines and equip themselves as such, an expression of the Krieg mentality that all Guardsmen must fight and die for the Emperor. Also in keeping with this mentality, these officers regard their men in the same way other commanders regard ammunition, something which has caused problems in cases where non-Krieg units are placed under the command of Krieg officers.

Offline Windbusche

• Donator
  • American Vocabulary Trooper
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Windbusche
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:12:56 pm »
Huge fan of the Death Korp of Krieg.
However, I still prefer the standard Cadian Infantry to any Death Korp.

Huge Dawn of War Plat+Soulstorm player, Imperial Guard being my favorite there. (No way to guess that, or anything ;))
Speaking of, I really wish they had Death Korp of Krieg in that! Might give the Imperial Guard some early viability in melee.

But this thread is about the universe as a whole, correct? If so, for Chaos, perhaps at Khorne and Slaanesh aswell?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:21:40 pm by Windbusche »

Offline Megaberna

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Megaberna
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 01:38:02 am »
Post it on the appropriated section please:

https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?board=40.0

Offline Matthew

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • ლ(◕◡◕ლ) oly gaym y u heff 2 b med
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Matthew ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 02:00:25 am »
Post it on the appropriated section please:

https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?board=40.0
I think in the 10 seconds you took reading the op you didn't really understand the purpose of this thread, yes Warhammer 40k had video game adaptions, but it is more then that discussions could range from modelling/painting, lore/40kuniverse, getting into the hobby and peoples experiences with 40k etc. Just because StarTrek online exists do you think startrek in it entirety belongs on that board, No.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." - Mikhail Bakunin
"Dispassionate, fair, equal"
Oh you wanted a serious response, why didn't you just say so.
b2e98ad6f6eb8508dd6a14cfa704bad7f05f6fb

Offline Windbusche

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 05:20:18 am »

My new favorite Lasgun variant. Mars Pattern.

Offline Aumashy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 05:22:30 am »
For the greater good!

Tau should totally be on that poll....

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 07:19:02 am »
Huge fan of the Death Korp of Krieg.
However, I still prefer the standard Cadian Infantry to any Death Korp.

Huge Dawn of War Plat+Soulstorm player, Imperial Guard being my favorite there. (No way to guess that, or anything ;))
Speaking of, I really wish they had Death Korp of Krieg in that! Might give the Imperial Guard some early viability in melee.

But this thread is about the universe as a whole, correct? If so, for Chaos, perhaps at Khorne and Slaanesh aswell?

Yes, It is about the universe, I was just posting my favorite regiments, And yes the Death Korps have always been missed out in Warhammer 40k games, just in Retribution they added it, yet they still seemed weak despite their intense training.

For the greater good!

Tau should totally be on that poll....

I was going to add Tau, but the poll limits to 5 factions ;_;, yet the Tau are indeed epic.

The 2 factions with the least factions shall be removed and replaced with Necrons and Tau!

Now to face the facts! To all you StarShip troopers lovers!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:14:46 pm by Desert Thunda »

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 04:34:19 pm »

Offline Humlenerd

• First Lieutenant
  • Why are you reading this and not my post?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: JeanBaptiste
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 05:29:43 pm »
The truth:

;)
The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it. - Thucydides

Offline Rogov

• Second Lieutenant
  • Moose are cool.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Hsr_Ofr_Rogov
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 05:41:56 pm »
Noob inbound.

I really want to get into the 40k universe... I know the basic lore and it sounds awesome. Any recommended jumping off point(s)? ;D

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 06:36:30 pm »
Noob inbound.

I really want to get into the 40k universe... I know the basic lore and it sounds awesome. Any recommended jumping off point(s)? ;D

If you do not have any purcahsed Codex's, (Cost 100 or less USD, 800 here) I would recommend studying it here http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page#.UQttVR13ZRo

Offline Windbusche

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 09:59:38 pm »
+1 to Thunda, great stuff, that.

This thread makes me so tempted to self plug. xD

Offline 5arge

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 10:15:06 pm »
I had an army of Squats when I first started painting/playing 40k tabletop. When they were discontinued, I switched to Tyranids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squat_%28Warhammer_40,000%29

Now to face the facts! To all you StarShip troopers lovers!
Starship Troopers was published in 1959. If anything, the description of the troopers in the book influenced the design and concept of Space Marines. For the movie however... I can see the Imperial Guard reference: thousands of nameless soldiers lightly armed and armored charging into certain death.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:23:02 pm by 5arge »
it seems that the person on the wrong end of 5arge always seems to get the punishment.