Author Topic: The use of companies in Line Battles?  (Read 1597 times)

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
The use of companies in Line Battles?
« on: March 08, 2013, 05:12:08 pm »
So I've been wondering, what's the general opinion (particularly of linebattle administrators) on the use of companies by regiments in linebattles. What I mean is that typically, infantry regiments had a grenadier company and a light company which could be used for different things, light companies for example could be used as a screen for the other companies, things like that. What do you guys think about allowing infantry regiments to do these kinds of things in linebattles? Like allowing a regiment to use x% of it's members as a "light company" if they choose to do so. This light company isn't allowed to go as light infantry but they can act as light infantry IE- deploying in skirmish lines, crouching, etc. but they MUST stay with their regiment, they can't just run off and skirmish independently. An example of their application would be for example if a regiment needed to wheel their line, so they deploy their light company to keep enemies off their back while they shift formation. Or another example is if a line regiment if moving in a column, if they had their light company arranged in a screen around them - as the name implies - screen their movements. What do you guys think?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
Re: The use of companies in Line Battles?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 05:30:50 pm »
I think the game is simply too small-scaled. Sadly.

We need line-battles with 2000 people.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 05:37:57 pm »
The 44th uses companies when our lines exceed the ruled limit, but that doesn't happen too often and not many other regiments are big enough to need different companies.

Offline McEwan

• Brigadier General
  • "McEwok" "McScrubwin" "ManJewban" "McWeewan"
    • View Profile
    • Marins de la Garde ImpĂ©riale on Enjin!
  • Nick: IXe[Marins]_McEwan
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 05:45:17 pm »
The 77y is a perfect example of a regiment that uses companies in-game. If you watch Malakith's videos, you'll know what I mean when I say that the 77y knows how to use them.

Kielbasa!

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 06:36:05 pm »
Not really. They just from a big 4-file wide column, and an officer in front, and that officer leads them. There is no system in it, and you switch officer and 'company' a few dozen times in a linebattle. Frankly, if you aren't a commanding officer in the 77y, you're basically nothing.

They still are fun to play with, though.

Offline 5arge

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 06:58:09 pm »
The 87th have a good company system that they have been working on. The 1stEPI had a similar system, but they used platoons in the way you are talking about companies/battalions. I really wish the Rddt Brigade were a better drilled unit (no offense to the 33rd ofcourse), because they could do this too with great effect. They have the numbers to make it look good, but too many casual players who don't know the drills well enough.

The 87th were working on a line battle ruleset that would force regiments to fight as companies/battalions in formation dressing to their colors, but then Bell got drunk.  :P
it seems that the person on the wrong end of 5arge always seems to get the punishment.

Offline pod455

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Padraig
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 09:35:43 pm »
Not really. They just from a big 4-file wide column, and an officer in front, and that officer leads them. There is no system in it, and you switch officer and 'company' a few dozen times in a linebattle. Frankly, if you aren't a commanding officer in the 77y, you're basically nothing.

They still are fun to play with, though.
That's when they are in a siege, when they are in a normal lb they use companies very well

Offline Johan

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [5teFKI]_Oberst_Johann
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 10:22:00 pm »
The game is too small indeed. Maybe it could work in Battle cry of Freedom. It's a very nice idea though i am totally up for it, sadly i lack the numbers though.  :'(

Offline SilentMatthew

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Freelancer_SilentMatthew_AW
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 10:35:44 pm »
The game is too small indeed. Maybe it could work in Battle cry of Freedom. It's a very nice idea though i am totally up for it, sadly i lack the numbers though.  :'(

Based on from what I heard, one of the developers stated that the 500+ player count most likely will not be a feature set, it'll be 200 or 250 at best. Unfortunately ,we won't see common use of companies in FSE's next game. Though, I find it odd that 500+ players is still stated as a feature for BcoF if from what I heard is true. (last time I check).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:39:02 pm by SilentMatthew »

Offline Johan

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [5teFKI]_Oberst_Johann
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 10:45:28 pm »
Well not surprising, game developers do tend to make lots of promises to get people excited and buy the game. That's how they earn money and money rules the world nowadays sadly.

Offline Cop

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Cop
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 11:51:16 pm »
The establishment and use of companies seems quite common imo. The 2ndCS, the 29th, the 75th, 44th, 91st all do just to name a few. Given they've been around a little while and had the time and manpower to organize and field these companies. Having multiple companies is very advantageous during a linebattle and is a personal goal for myself and the 40th.

We've had some good attendances in the 40th over the past couple of weeks, one numbering 26, where we split into two lines and effectively cast our enemies asunder. It works well, and I don't consider it to be 'rare' at all.