Author Topic: We Need to Remember Who We Are and What We Do!  (Read 5905 times)

Offline 74th_MacTavish

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 74th_Col_MacTavish
  • Side: Neutral
We Need to Remember Who We Are and What We Do!
« on: February 22, 2013, 09:24:29 am »
This post was initially made on community grievances but I realize it needs to be seen by all!

Frankly at this point I'm just going to say that we've forgotten the point of the game. What made us love MMRussia3 and NW is the fact that we got to recreate battles. RECREATE them. Nowadays it seems regiments are more concerned with politics, having flame wars about who is best and who is worst... Battles have become about the kills and the glory rather than just the simple pleasure of the recreation and actually following the conventions of Napoleonic warfare -> I'm sorry but regiments in Napoleonic times did not charge across the map to get into melee as soon as possible. They stayed 50-100 meters from each other and fired at each other's lines. A battle would ussualy end in some sort of melee  but only after dozens of volleys.

I've had 3 regiments 1v1 recently that all did the same thing, charged across the map as quickly as possible to get into melee without even firing a round. They simply snaked until they were 30 meters away then "fired and charged" -> Another disgusting piece of shit -> Pardon my french. I simply refuse to fight such regiments anymore as they take out the fun of the game.

Last night at an LB, I was called out by the 2ndCSG (not that it really matters , its the 2ndCSG) for not aiding them in melee. My line was firing from a hilly position down onto the enemy whilst they prefered to run uphill and charge into melee. I think they truly (and sadly) represent the new mentality of the NW community.

This is for all the LB hosts, we need to come up with new conventions and rules that will bring people around. (Simple example off the top of my head -> You may not engage in melee until exchanging more than 2 volleys with another regiment).

Gents, we have degraded since MMRussia3.

My two cents. (more like 20 tbh).

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
  • Side: Union
Re: We Need to Remember Who We Are and What We Do!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 09:29:46 am »
I have also been getting tired with firing in charge and snaking and all that. I wouldn't mind fire in charge if they stuck together as a group instead of running around like headless chickens until the defenders fire.

It would be great if everyone would just try their best to recreate how they fought back then instead of constantly searching for cheap ways to get an advantage.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline 74th_Sjt_ChrisMcLovin

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 09:46:15 am »
I agree. (Even though i am not very good at long range) it was way more fun to have line battles that would last more and we would fire at least 10 shots at another line from a big distance. At least that is what i want NW to be like again.

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 09:48:27 am »
The problem is that some regiments are bigger than others. We in 6e are usually outnumbered, but we got good meleers, so we bring down as many as we can before we get sent to hell. If it was like 10 vs 25 regiment, you will get your ass handed to you, but if it is 10 v 10 or 25 v 25, then I usually see alot of volleys.

Offline 74th_MacTavish

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 74th_Col_MacTavish
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 10:13:16 am »
Dude, I really think we should set aside caring who wins and who doesn't. If you are a small regiment, just stay back and take long range shots as the large regiments tank the damage. I really think we need to have a regimental leader meeting and figure out a way to recreate proper battles with hundreds of players having a gunbattle in the middle of the map really. The Patriot movie comes to mind =)

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 11:10:41 am »
Well, i do not think that it should be over-focused on line engagements just firing out eachother. The French used large columns to smash the lines with powerful melee charges as an example. The Russians enjoyed doing this too.

I just don't agree with how charges are done as of now in spread out light infantry style formations. If you are to charge i think it should atleast be a line sticking together or even better in a column.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Salt

• Major
  • We really out here
    • View Profile
  • Nick: bless
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 11:30:16 am »
I understand how you would like to recreate battles liked the community had done before, (I'll be honest I never played MM). But I do believe that people have different play styles and you should understand that this is a game first, and people like to play games to win and win by using their play style. I personally am terrible at long range, but I'm decent at melee, and I would much rather get into melee quickly and do damage instead of exchanging volleys where a round takes a considerable amount of time which just causes frustration with people.

Also with the admin rules about the two volleys, I see that turning into a enforcement nightmare, trying to make sure everyone is firing at least two volleys before charging.  ;D
I'm the reincarnated Who- with no talent.

Offline Mack

• Donator
  • " Hear me roar "
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Lannes Mack
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 11:50:59 am »
Says the biggest flamer.
Lannes Mack

Proudly commanded the 4e Grenadiers for two and a halve years

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 01:06:26 pm »
Dude, I really think we should set aside caring who wins and who doesn't. If you are a small regiment, just stay back and take long range shots as the large regiments tank the damage. I really think we need to have a regimental leader meeting and figure out a way to recreate proper battles with hundreds of players having a gunbattle in the middle of the map really. The Patriot movie comes to mind =)

I like to win, thats all I have to say.

Offline PrideofNi

• Major General
  • This is just a game, respect other people!
    • View Profile
    • K-KA HQ
  • Nick: PrideofNi
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 01:33:12 pm »
Make your own linebattle then, nobody is forcing you who to play. Your ideas don't appeal to me because I don't want to waste my regiments time shooting for 20mins to hit nothing. You forget its a GAME and it needs to be fun.

Offline Jocam

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 02:12:07 pm »
Well, 2 volleys wouldn't be much of a problem, would it?

It takes 20 seconds to reload, not 2 minutes!
I agree, though, as I said in the other thread, the most you can exptect to happen is regiments considreing it.

If you so badly want to shoot, convert to skirmishers or artillery

Offline Shortshorts

• Major General
  • I love memes
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 60th_Lt_Shortshorts
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 02:13:00 pm »
You realize that most people have strayed away from this mostly due to skirmishers and artillery right? It's just a sure-fire way to get people needlessly slaughtered,
taking potshots from half a mile away is simply wasteful, of both time and your regiments lives. Wether or not you actually accomplish anything is entirely due to dumb luck.

If you want to organize an event where this is a must then sure, but I honestly doubt that people find this particularly appealing after being trounced repeatedly by the likes of skirmishers and artillery.
Make it a line only event if anything. I'd personally advice against it, as has been said before, the administration would be a nightmare.  :P

Offline UniversitasMetal

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 03:05:56 pm »
This post was warned for instigating arguments. Thanks for the reports! ~Deo
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:18:49 pm by Deofuta »

Offline Thundersnow

• Captain
  • Overlord of the 00th Regiment, Time and Space.
    • View Profile
    • www.PlanetThundersnow.com
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 03:15:39 pm »
Well I'm glad you reposted this in a seperate thread so we could adequately respond.

I like to think I think outside the box when it comes to running events.  I've been doing it long enough where I can make changes to the status quo and get away with it.  I already have forced double lines (sometimes triple and quadruple lines) and no fire while charging, no 100+ yard dashes.

I created "Flagwar" which is:

• Each side gets one Command Regiment, and is the only regiment allowed to have a flag. 
  • Both sides must stay within 20 paces of each other.
  • The Command Regiment can go wherever it wants with everyone else following. 
  • Only a member of the Command Regiment may pick up a fallen flag.  If there is no one left alive from that regiment, that side still must fight around the flag to the last man.

So its basically two giant armies maneuvering around each other, with the Command Regiment deciding where the giant battles will be held.  It's pretty awesome in my opinion. 

Check it out:  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=00th+flagwar&oq=00th+flagwar&gs_l=youtube.3...1647.4222.0.4742.12.12.0.0.0.0.103.709.11j1.12.0...0.0...1ac.1.IVu4XDpxtWg

The "Two Volley" idea strikes me as something novel.  I might attempt it in the future with a 200 man captive audience. 

What I'm hoping for here is more creative discussion with fresh new ideas, and then refinement of those ideas.  Exciting!

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 03:28:35 pm by Thundersnow »

Offline Jocam

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 03:22:53 pm »
Spoiler
Well I'm glad you reposted this in a seperate thread so we could adequately respond.

I like to think I think outside the box when it comes to running events.  I've been doing it long enough where I can make changes to the status quo and get away with it.  I already have forced double lines (sometimes triple and quadruple lines) and no fire while charging, no 100+ yard dashes.

I created "Flagwar" which is both sides must stay within 20 paces of each other, and each side gets one Command Regiment that gets a flag and can go wherever it wants with everyone else following.  So its basically two giant armies maneuvering around each other.  It's pretty awesome in my opinion. 

Check it out:  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=00th+flagwar&oq=00th+flagwar&gs_l=youtube.3...1647.4222.0.4742.12.12.0.0.0.0.103.709.11j1.12.0...0.0...1ac.1.IVu4XDpxtWg

The "Two Volley" idea strikes me as something novel.  I might attempt it in the future with a 200 man captive audience. 

What I'm hoping for here is more creative discussion and refinement of those ideas.  Exciting shtuff.
[close]

What you said about double collumns, reminds me of another taboo in this community, no regiment seems to get the advantages it brings