Author Topic: Thunderbirds and Supermarionation Thread  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Thunderbirds and Supermarionation Thread
« on: May 09, 2016, 03:09:08 pm »
  I thought I would start a little thread about the various supermarionation series' created in the sixties by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson, particularly Thunderbirds although I am also quite keen on Captain Scarlet and Stingray. They are most noted for the use of Marionettes who spoke in sync with the dialogue, the special effects which were ahead of their time and the action and adventure that captivates many to this day.
  And of course I have to mention the music of Barry Grey:
]

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Thunderbirds and Supermarionation Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 04:24:19 pm »
Damn, Thunderbirds and Stingray were the shit, back in the day. Never watched Captain Scarlet.

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 05:38:48 pm »
  They were pretty damned good. I quite like Captain Scarlet as well as the rest. I know that a lot of the team who made it were not happy with the different style puppets. For a kids programme, Captain Scarlet was pretty dark considering how many people got killed in each episode.
  Then again Captain Scarlets' death(s) does have its humorous side:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:41:49 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 06:11:45 pm »
Huh, I do recall that symbol on his helmet now watching that, but I don't actually remember any of the show lol. Long time ago now I guess

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 06:31:16 pm »
I do not think the old series has been on TV now for a good decade (there have been cgi reboots though). The basic plotline of Captain Scarlet was that an expedition to Mars fired upon an alien civilization called the Mysterons who have the ability to kill people and reconstruct them exactly to how they were except they are in the service of said Mysterons and are much harder to kill. Scarlet in that clip (from episode 1) was one of their first victims but the fall somehow broke the Mysterons power over him so now he is practically indestructible.
  The symbol is that of the Spectrum organisation which is basically a world police force that Scarlet works for:
Spoiler
[close]
  And of course the end credits with the many misfortunes Scarlet runs into...
]