Poll

Would you play Total War: Victoria?

Yeah, I love the victorian era, imperialism & nationalism and the industrial revolution!
Meh, maybe
No, I would rather play Medieval III
No, I would rather play Empire II
No, I would rather play TW: Warhammer (dunno if this is for reels)

Author Topic: Total War General Discussion Thread: Shogun to Rome 2!  (Read 215783 times)

Offline Gaius Marius

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Rome II: Total War
« Reply #180 on: May 13, 2013, 08:51:36 am »
I'm going to play as the mighty Romans and crush anyone who stands in my way.

Offline Rydog

• Captain
  • uwotm8
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2013, 10:45:21 am »
Gonna play as the Romans and crush the Parthians and hopefully use them as Auxiliaries, something which I'm hoping RTW2 will allow :)

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
  • Co-founder of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Pte_Hugh_MacKay
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #182 on: May 13, 2013, 11:47:31 am »
Gonna go with the Romans too :) Then a Germanic faction afterwards
"The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

Offline Hinkel

• Colonel
  • Confederate Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gen_Hinkel
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2013, 01:10:54 pm »
I will start with the cornelii family and will get up fast to the first empire :)

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2013, 02:39:42 pm »
So I started reading some history books of the time period and it seems Sparta's council "voted" (I think that is the word) by shouting "Yes" or "No" and the funny thing is whoever shouted the loudest won...   ;)

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 13, 2013, 03:59:10 pm »
So I started reading some history books of the time period and it seems Sparta's council "voted" (I think that is the word) by shouting "Yes" or "No" and the funny thing is whoever shouted the loudest won...   ;)

THIS...IS....SPARTummmno council has voted. 

lol Damn those Spartans. I had to roll my eyes with the movie 300 when they spoke of freedom etc. It seemed a little corny considering Sparta had a huge slave population and treated its slaves with the utmost cruelty. Which probably sparked a few slave revolts.
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #186 on: May 13, 2013, 04:09:44 pm »
There were actually only ever a maximum of around 10,000 Spartiates (Citizens and Soldiers) at any one time, and at least half of these always remained in Sparta to prevent the slaves from revolting. Personally though I almost prefer their political system to the Athenian "Democracy", which left their system far more open to corruption and demagogue rule.

Once I gather up the cash to pre-order I'll probably go Spartan.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Desparin

• Sergeant Major
  • Bullets have the right of way!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 88th_Pte_Ralph_Fitzgerald
« Reply #187 on: May 13, 2013, 04:28:26 pm »
There were actually only ever a maximum of around 10,000 Spartiates (Citizens and Soldiers) at any one time, and at least half of these always remained in Sparta to prevent the slaves from revolting. Personally though I almost prefer their political system to the Athenian "Democracy", which left their system far more open to corruption and demagogue rule.

I believe the 10,000 Spartan citizens which made up the bulk of their armed forces were called Homoioi -  effectively "Men of equal status". They were not involved with manual labour and had the most freedom and power within the Spartan society.

Next comes the Perioikoi - they carried out the majority of tasks revolving around commerce and trade - the Homoioi were forbidden to do this too T__T

Lastly comes the Helots (poor sods). Basically enslaved populations who were tied to the land they worked by the Spartan state.

I think there were also Hypomeiones who were Homoioi who had lost their status within the society - not so sure on that last one though so may need to refresh my memory.

Then again I am recalling this from my Classical Civilisations  classes at A level so anyone please correct me if I'm wrong :3

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
« Reply #188 on: May 13, 2013, 04:43:21 pm »
What about the Epirus? I have never ever heard of them before. Not sure what is so great about them.

Offline Hawke

• Donator
  • Aquila non capit muscas.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hawke
« Reply #189 on: May 13, 2013, 04:46:09 pm »
What about the Epirus? I have never ever heard of them before. Not sure what is so great about them.
I think Pyhrrus, King of Epirus beat the Roman Army, taking heavy losses, creating what is now called a "Phyrric Victory".

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #190 on: May 13, 2013, 04:48:40 pm »
Spoiler

I believe the 10,000 Spartan citizens which made up the bulk of their armed forces were called Homoioi -  effectively "Men of equal status". They were not involved with manual labour and had the most freedom and power within the Spartan society.

Next comes the Perioikoi - they carried out the majority of tasks revolving around commerce and trade - the Homoioi were forbidden to do this too T__T

Lastly comes the Helots (poor sods). Basically enslaved populations who were tied to the land they worked by the Spartan state.

I think there were also Hypomeiones who were Homoioi who had lost their status within the society - not so sure on that last one though so may need to refresh my memory.

Then again I am recalling this from my Classical Civilisations  classes at A level so anyone please correct me if I'm wrong :3
[close]

You're right for the most part, though there are records of Perioikoi and Helots being used as light infantry and skirmishers in battle as early as the battle of Plataea (The one after Thermopylae, seen at the end of 300). Once the Homoioi started to decline in numbers this practice was much more common.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Desparin

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 13, 2013, 06:00:05 pm »
I think Pyhrrus, King of Epirus beat the Roman Army, taking heavy losses, creating what is now called a "Phyrric Victory".

Random Fact - Achilleus' (less modern translation) son is called Pyhrrus (also, Neoptolemus). He ended up killing Priam as described by Aeneas in the Aeneid.

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
« Reply #192 on: May 13, 2013, 06:03:09 pm »

They were a greek state that laid where Greece and Albania exist nowadays and they were a frontier of Greece, i believe Megas Alexandros mother was from Epirus.
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Desparin

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 13, 2013, 06:10:18 pm »

They were a greek state that laid where Greece and Albania exist nowadays and they were a frontier of Greece, i believe Megas Alexandros mother was from Epirus.

That seems to ring a bell with me too

Offline Gaius Marius

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2013, 06:26:16 pm »
If you want to know more about certain factions then read up on them here: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Factions