Poll

Would you play Total War: Victoria?

Yeah, I love the victorian era, imperialism & nationalism and the industrial revolution!
Meh, maybe
No, I would rather play Medieval III
No, I would rather play Empire II
No, I would rather play TW: Warhammer (dunno if this is for reels)

Author Topic: Total War General Discussion Thread: Shogun to Rome 2!  (Read 215772 times)

Offline Ryno2626

• Second Lieutenant
  • MAW Community Manager
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [9y] Ryno2626
  • Side: Union
Re: Rome: Total War II
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2013, 09:50:36 pm »
I loved every thing about Rome, the only thing I had a problem with was no Co-Op caimpaign.

Offline Rogov

• Second Lieutenant
  • Moose are cool.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Hsr_Ofr_Rogov
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2013, 04:54:16 am »
Joy to the world, The Horse Archers of Parthia will make a playable return.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Parthia_Faction
Spoiler
[close]
Those cataphracts look lovely, let's just hope we don't see the return of the pink pajama infantry. *shudder*

Offline Windbusche

• Donator
  • American Vocabulary Trooper
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Windbusche
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2013, 05:43:08 am »
The third helmet to the right looks like a 15th Century Sallet. Not sure where they got their reference for that.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2013, 06:12:50 am »

Offline Brock

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2013, 06:37:38 am »
I'm looking forward to quite a few different campaign's myself...

1.) Iceni Warlord
2.) Roman Emporer

These are the two I am most excited to play :D

Offline Windbusche

• Donator
  • American Vocabulary Trooper
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Windbusche
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2013, 06:48:59 am »
Damn Docm, you always got the source, dontcha? Thanks. ;)

Offline Rogov

• Second Lieutenant
  • Moose are cool.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Hsr_Ofr_Rogov
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2013, 07:19:02 pm »
Hehe, I was actually wondering the same thing myself, but was kind of tired of playing the downer so I didn't voice it. Good to see it's not another one of CA's wacky concoctions. ;D

Offline Van_Hulstein

• Captain
  • Orangist and very proud ex-33rd Lieutenant.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: NL_VanHulstein
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2013, 12:12:16 am »
They are only colouring one province by faction, does this mean they have only one province?
Nunc aut nunquam

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Kpl_TheNorseman
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2013, 12:29:49 am »
Rome had 3 or 4 provinces coloured red, but I do not think there is only 1 region. I do not recall if it was true or not, but they might have said that a region is split up into an amount of cities. So in one province there could be three cities from which you could receive income. Not sure though...
The Norseman is my name in my name.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
  • Co-founder of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Pte_Hugh_MacKay
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2013, 01:32:03 am »
I do not recall if it was true or not, but they might have said that a region is split up into an amount of cities. So in one province there could be three cities from which you could receive income. Not sure though...
Actually think it's the other way around. Making the amounts of cities smaller to prevent the siege-spam we saw in Shogun 2. But gonna be exciting to see how they will do it.

@Van_Hulstein: Do you mean the Wiki-images? They are purely artistic and doesn't represent anything from in-game :)
"The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Kpl_TheNorseman
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2013, 09:47:43 am »
Yeah you might be right about that, they want to allow us to do more land battles and not only endless siege spamming like in other games.

Okay, from what I gather from the previews, CA introduced a new Province system...
Basically, The map is made up of big "Provinces" and each province has a number of "Regions".. something like 4 or 5 regions...There is going to be only one city in the whole Province, meaning the rest of the regions are not represented by cities...

So how do you conquer a "Region"?

In any case, this should make the game have more Land Battles than Sieges... Sometimes TW games can turn into a series of dull and tedious siege battles one after the other, so something that encourages more Land Battles should be good... I hope.

EDIT: For those asking for a source:
RPS: To take them over you have to grab them individually as regions, but once you’ve got them you can bulk manage them essentially?

James Russell: Yeah. There’s one management node for several regions. Whether you call that bulk…I think that the point is about strategy game play is that it’s about interesting decisions, and we want to make the decisions more interesting. We don’t want to give you more of them for you to necessarily have to repeat and repeat and repeat. But it also has other consequences, because it means you can capture territory without always having to fight a siege battle, so you get a greater variety of battle types, and a greater variety of battle environments as well, because you’re not always trying to head-shot the city.
The Norseman is my name in my name.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

Offline Van_Hulstein

• Captain
  • Orangist and very proud ex-33rd Lieutenant.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: NL_VanHulstein
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2013, 09:59:51 pm »
It could be that those wiki images for the provinces are good, because Carthage got 5 provinces and and Macedon 3, that makes sense
Nunc aut nunquam

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2013, 10:16:09 pm »
It could be that those wiki images for the provinces are good, because Carthage got 5 provinces and and Macedon 3, that makes sense

Quote from: Jack Lusted
Q. Are the images of the campaign we’ve seen so far representative of the final campaign? If so why does x faction not own y region?

A. The images we’ve released so far are artistic representations of the campaign map. I understand that as it is the only images of it you have so far it is all you have to go on, but I would ask holding off on comments until you have seen the whole map and all the regions and factions on it.
"The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2013, 05:41:46 am »
It would be fantastic if we could somehow see the terrain we're going to be fighting on as well before the fight commences. The campaign map in rome was pretty decent for that but yeah would be cool to zoom in on your army's location at will to check the terrain.
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2013, 09:41:36 am »
In the Eurogamer interview they confirmed that we will see the old battlefields we have fought on before to make ambushes better etc. I know it's only about the battlefields you've been on before, but it's still a big improvement.