Poll

Should cannons be added to schooners?

Yes, sacrifice some visuals for gameplay (cannon part of ship model, can fire while ship is moving or use swivel cannons)
Yes, sacrifice some gameplay for visuals (cannons only fired while ship is still)
No

Author Topic: Cannons on Schooners (Moving ships)- Why not? [Added Poll]  (Read 9685 times)

Offline WhiteEagle

• Sergeant
  • Forward march!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 9th_Life_Oberst*_WhiteEagle
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Cannons on Schooners (Moving ships)- Why not?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 07:18:47 pm »
Well, even if the cannon exists of 8 parts, if we all make it one model with the ship with fire/load points that problem no longer exists. Only thing that moves with the ships are the load/fire points.

What I don't understand is that if the ship can hold a bunch of randomly moving players and it's playable, why can't a cannon move with the ship?

**Edit** I just realize I can go into scening mode and see what the cannons are made of. I can't get on the computer until tomorrow, so I'll post the results then.

One of the others mentioned a good point. Why don't we just get those small wall cannons that pivot and mount them at the front and rear of each ship. They have less objects comprising them and animations for them are extremely limited, but they will get the job done on the ships we currently have (which only have one level anyways).

Those would be easier to incorporate anyways.
Better not shoot for the officers...

Try my NEW Team Balancer Program for Event Organizers: https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=6278.0

Offline Artaxias

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Cannons on Schooners (Moving ships)- Why not?
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 07:55:12 pm »
Well, even if the cannon exists of 8 parts, if we all make it one model with the ship with fire/load points that problem no longer exists. Only thing that moves with the ships are the load/fire points.

What I don't understand is that if the ship can hold a bunch of randomly moving players and it's playable, why can't a cannon move with the ship?

**Edit** I just realize I can go into scening mode and see what the cannons are made of. I can't get on the computer until tomorrow, so I'll post the results then.

One of the others mentioned a good point. Why don't we just get those small wall cannons that pivot and mount them at the front and rear of each ship. They have less objects comprising them and animations for them are extremely limited, but they will get the job done on the ships we currently have (which only have one level anyways).

Those would be easier to incorporate anyways.

Solid point, I think that would work. Even though the actually naval cannons would look cooler, as I said before I prefer the gameplay over visuals. Swivel cannons could work, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I forgot to check how many parts cannons are made of, I'll do that later

Offline Artaxias

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Cannons on Schooners (Moving ships)- Why not? [Added Poll]
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 10:09:47 pm »
**Update**

After going into edit mode from what I can tell (not including the ammo):

Naval Cannon: Made of 3 parts- barrel, wood, wheels

Sweival: Made of 2 parts- barrel, wood

Offline WhiteEagle

• Sergeant
  • Forward march!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 9th_Life_Oberst*_WhiteEagle
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 02:56:43 am »
**Update**

After going into edit mode from what I can tell (not including the ammo):

Naval Cannon: Made of 3 parts- barrel, wood, wheels

Sweival: Made of 2 parts- barrel, wood

Great! Swivel cannons are easy and convenient and made up of less parts. Those seem like a viable option here.

Embarrassing how we still haven't had a developer comment on this thread and at least explain why this isn't possible if that's the case. Then we would know to stop thinking about it. :-\
Better not shoot for the officers...

Try my NEW Team Balancer Program for Event Organizers: https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=6278.0

Offline Artaxias

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 02:51:54 am »
Great! Swivel cannons are easy and convenient and made up of less parts. Those seem like a viable option here.

Embarrassing how we still haven't had a developer comment on this thread and at least explain why this isn't possible if that's the case. Then we would know to stop thinking about it. :-\

Well, maybe they haven't seen this thread yet, but I don't know. From the current trend of the poll though, it's clear that people are fine sacrificing some of the aesthetics in order to have cannons be possible.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 08:33:01 pm »
For some reason I can't think onhow Vince or Olaf forgot about the swivel guns.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Artaxias

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 09:38:57 pm »
Yeah, well we could never say for sure, it's still possible they forgot.

However, to be honest, I think that they just want to be done with NW and don't want to take the time to put cannons in the game. And if they are done updating, then this board should be changed to just bug reports.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 09:52:20 pm »
You can see that, indeed.

Just look at the skins of the Marines.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Mathias

• Captain
  • 1st place 1v1 and a little more since I forgot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 03:05:44 pm »
Really needs a developer to see this thread, but alas no one has seen how much this thread has progressed...

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 07:08:14 pm »
You could always pm them...

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
  • Side: Union
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 08:55:18 pm »
Well... Hmmm...
You sai that ammo boxes dont seem to work on ships. Ok. Coding cannons to ships (so ship and cannon is one object) is a bit too hard to do, it's time consuming and it can also trigger lag.
(Vince don't kill me) The devs don't have time for NW anymore, their main priority is BCoF. So I doubt they will add that. Secondly they stated that the patch/update that came out a month or so was the last patch/update.

I need to think more.
The first modder for NW.

Offline Artaxias

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 12:25:17 am »
Well... Hmmm...
You sai that ammo boxes dont seem to work on ships. Ok. Coding cannons to ships (so ship and cannon is one object) is a bit too hard to do, it's time consuming and it can also trigger lag.
(Vince don't kill me) The devs don't have time for NW anymore, their main priority is BCoF. So I doubt they will add that. Secondly they stated that the patch/update that came out a month or so was the last patch/update.

I need to think more.

I think there are possibilities, but as I said earlier if they are done updating NW, then they should really take suggestions out of the board because people are wasting their time making and responding to suggestions that will not even be looked at or considered.