Author Topic: Movie & TV Show Critic Thread  (Read 63552 times)

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Che Guevara's American Cousin
  • Donator
  • Ex-NANWL Moderator | #RemoveAussies
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gluk The Walrus
  • Side: Union
Re: Movie Critic Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2016, 02:37:42 pm »
I'm really glad that there is an interest to talk critically about movies. I was worried that not enough people cared about quality movies that this thread would just turn into cancer. I'm happy that you guys actually have decent taste.

I'm going to put up a poll question later, a bit more in depth than the one i have now. I'm thinking something like, "what was your initial reaction to ending of x movie" and then put common responses with the option for "other" and then you can post something.

I might start with 10 Cloverfield Lane seeing as i just watched it and it was fantastic. Also, new rule guys, anything detailing plot points or key details of a movie, use spoilers for obvious reasons.

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2016, 05:30:23 pm »

I might start with 10 Cloverfield Lane seeing as i just watched it and it was fantastic.

John Goodman was incredible. That movie really keeps you on edge.

Question for you about the ending below (spoilers)

10 Cloverfield Lane ENDING SPOILERS
Not sure you know, but the ending in the movie wasn't what was originally planned. Imagine it gets to the part where she sees the birds and thinks everything is fine. She drives off back home only to find the city in total ruin. I liked the confrontation at they end (they felt her escaping the bunker wasnt enough of a reward for all the time spent building tension which is why they changed it), but the original sounds interesting. Which ending do you think would have been better.
[close]
Why am I still here

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2016, 11:47:25 pm »

I might start with 10 Cloverfield Lane seeing as i just watched it and it was fantastic.

John Goodman was incredible. That movie really keeps you on edge.

Question for you about the ending below (spoilers)

10 Cloverfield Lane ENDING SPOILERS
Not sure you know, but the ending in the movie wasn't what was originally planned. Imagine it gets to the part where she sees the birds and thinks everything is fine. She drives off back home only to find the city in total ruin. I liked the confrontation at they end (they felt her escaping the bunker wasnt enough of a reward for all the time spent building tension which is why they changed it), but the original sounds interesting. Which ending do you think would have been better.
[close]
DONT OPEN IF YOU HAVENT SEEN 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE
I don't believe that the original concept for the film was intended to be in the cloverfield universe anyways. I'm not sure if you saw the first film (it's pretty good for a mid-budget film), if you haven't i suggest watching it. Anyways, I personally think that the whole bunker idea with the crazy guy trying to replace his daughter would of been perfect in OR out of the cloverfield universe. To be honest, it didn't matter too much for me what happened outside of the bunker, it couldn't been a ruse or it could been the ruskies, but the main aspect of the film that made it awesome was the bunker and the relationships between the characters in the bunker with the desperate desire to get out. The ending obviously has to be fulfilling but I'm just saying that they has sooooo many options to go with. As for which ending would've been better...i dunno...I think finding the city in ruin would've been a good ending but I think it would been too predictable with the whole bunker thing. What i mean is that in the scenario, you're expecting the outside to look like a wasteland...and finding a destroyed city fits that wasteland assumption, but what made the movie good for me was that none of my initial predicts came true. The movie was not predictable and that is why i loved it.

TL;DR I think the movie ending was better than the original because a destroyed city is too predictable for the bunker movie concept. Think the fallout series. By not making it a total wasteland, you kept people in suspense because you're constantly wondering what is outside that is causing this when the landscape is perfectly fine and there are birds and shit.
[close]

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2016, 03:04:43 am »
I really liked Shindler's List when I watched it recently, definite 9/10. Its just good for so many reasons although I imagine most people have seen it.
Where to invade next by Michael Moore was pretty good given that I watched it on a 11 hours Toronto-Brussels flight.
For a lesser known movie I'd recommend Hyena Road. Its a fairly solid Canadian film. Its very different in contrast to most American war films of Afghanistan which is part of what made me like it.
If you haven't watched the Band of Brothers or Pacific mini-series you really should.

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2016, 08:23:45 am »
can I vote even if I didnt watch that movie?

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2016, 09:25:35 am »
New poll up! Please only vote if you have seen the movie. If you haven't seen it, i would highly suggest watching it.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2016, 10:16:51 am »
Band of brothers is pretty solid.  The pacific was good from what i seen, tho it is more graphic which may make it not something suitable for the really young ones.

haven't seen that cloverfield movie.   Didn't seem like something i would like. 

i did just watch John wick, which i enjoyed.  i believe there is a sequel coming in the near future.
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2016, 04:37:31 pm »
New poll up! Please only vote if you have seen the movie. If you haven't seen it, i would highly suggest watching it.
havent seen the movie but voted anyways

#Rebel
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2016, 05:25:29 am »
Anybody seen any new movies recently?

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2016, 05:31:04 am »
Doctor Strange which was good, it was real trippy.

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2016, 05:47:12 am »
New movies?  no.    Will probably get the new star trek movie on dvd, and i will probably watch one of the angel and demon movies.(the tom hanks ones)

i am also watching John Adams.  The HBO series.
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

Offline KillerShark

• First Lieutenant
  • THE KillerShark
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2016, 04:12:15 pm »
I watched the new Jason Bourne movie. It was pretty solid. A definite should watch if your the type of person who likes pure action for the entire movie.
Former: 29th CSjt, 12th Cpl, Nr37 Kpl, 21eme SoD, 18th LtCol, 1stMN/64th SgtMaj, 23rdPA SgtMaj, 45e CplFo, 78th ESO, 29th Capt, 57th Kgm, LG Fus, 71st Cpl, 34e SoD, 2ndQF LCpl, LG Uffz, Nr4 Gmnr, 98e SoD, 75e Fus, 18e FusV, 47th Grd, and 21st Pte.

Self Proclaimed best movement key player NA

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2016, 04:23:35 pm »
I watched the new Jason Bourne movie. It was pretty solid. A definite should watch if your the type of person who likes pure action for the entire movie.
really enjoyed that movie.

i enjoyed the 2nd jack reacher film as well.  though i would probably say that the bourne movie was better.   Not to mention that bourne movies as a whole are really good imo.

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2016, 06:40:59 pm »
The Siege of Jadotville was a pretty solid movie.

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2016, 02:06:03 pm »
I removed the poll because it wasn't getting a lot of attention, only like 4 people actually voted. This is probably because a lot of people haven't seen the film, which is fine.

Anyways...I have a serious question for everyone. What was the worst movie you have ever seen? I'm quite curious. Also put why you think this about the movie.

For me, the worst film I've ever seen was Thunder in Paradise, starring Hulk Hogan. The plot is horrific with very little thought put in. The acting is some of the worst i've ever seen. Hulk also develops a semi-homosexual relationship with his bestfriend/fighting companion/roommate/boyfriend (i don't fucking know). It's never direct but if you see some of the scenes, you wonder why they have their shirts off and they are so friendly with each other...maybe they are just open minded people??? It's fucking hulk hogan though...i don't know what the fuck to think about it.

You can watch this god awful abomination here on youtube. I dare everyone to open this, watch up until the part where you see the boat and take notice of it's size...then wait until you see inside the boat...again...notice its size. I've never seen a more painfully obvious continuity error in a movie before. It's like they gave zero fucks.
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 02:19:03 pm by Gluk the Walrus »