12 (15%)
Russia
7 (8.8%)
France
46 (57.5%)
Austria
5 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: What is the best Cavalry overall?  (Read 10085 times)

Offline Burrows

• Sergeant
  • Cartref y ddewr ac yn falch
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Burrows
  • Side: Confederacy
What is the best Cavalry overall?
« on: October 14, 2013, 12:20:34 pm »
Ok I started this to find out what peoples votes are for the best Napoleonic Cavalry, As you know there are tons of cavalry regiments with a specific class but, which class is the best we have:

Carabiniers

Spoiler
[close]

Lancers

Spoiler
[close]

Hussars

Spoiler
[close]

Cuirassiers

Spoiler
[close]

Dragoons

Spoiler
[close]

So what is your favourite type of Cavalry?
And remember "Without Cavalry, Battles are without end result"-Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline lindblom

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Lindblom
Re: What is the best Cavalry overall?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 12:23:48 pm »
Lancers

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 12:26:53 pm »
It all depends against who you are fighting, I guess. If I need to attack a solid block of infantry, give me Carabiniers. Cavalry? Give me lancers with some hussars behind it.

Offline Burrows

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 12:42:25 pm »
It all depends against who you are fighting, I guess. If I need to attack a solid block of infantry, give me Carabiniers. Cavalry? Give me lancers with some hussars behind it.

I guess, Lancers are possibly the best against Artillery, skrims but my opinion is Heavy Cavalry would be supreme

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
  • Side: Union
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 01:39:09 pm »
What if we give carabiniers lances too?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 01:40:28 pm »
All cavalry is good against artillery or skirmishers, them being helpless.

Marshal MassenĂ¡ once offered the idea to arm the first rank of every cavalry regiment with lances. Napoleon was not impressed.

Offline Burrows

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 02:35:11 pm »

Marshal MassenĂ¡ once offered the idea to arm the first rank of every cavalry regiment with lances. Napoleon was not impressed.

Well apart from the Prussian Hussar Cosacks who used to use lances in there "glory charges"

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 03:34:57 pm »
Hussar cossacks? I think you mean the Towarczys, 15 squadrons of lance-armed light cavarly raised from Polish provinces the Prussians had taken. One of the squadrons actually consisted of Tatars.

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 04:03:14 pm »

Well apart from the Prussian Hussar Cosacks who used to use lances in there "glory charges"

Wait what? I think you mean Russian :P
Pointy stick champion

Offline Keita

• Major General
  • deco, mezzala, regista, guiniesta, picolas nepe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 04:13:44 pm »
Carabiners :p
balenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balenci

Offline Martastik

• First Lieutenant
  • Real Col of the real 1erCrb Martastik
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 04:34:38 pm »
Even though it sounds rather one-sided being the 2nd in charge of a heavy cavalry regiment, but to me it seems logical that heavy cavalry is, in the view of utilitarianism, the best cavalry (or 'was', either way). This because of the advantages they have. heavy cavalry would in most occasions beat infantry and cavalry alike when engaged 1on1 (of course in an ideal situation; a perfect 1on1 situation). Of course one could argue that having light cavalry is more useful because of faster movement & hit and run situations, adding a tactical advantage, and that lancers have the advantage that they can deal heavy blows in a charge vs cavalry and infantry. But in the end the heavy cavalry is that which can fend most for itself, granted not entirely, you'd always need support in a cavalry charge, but they can take the hardest hit, were in most cases most intimidating and dealt the heaviest blows because of their main (obvious) aspect, being heav(ily armed).

Of course it can always depend on the situation that you have, when odds aren't ideal you might require other cavalry. But I can only imagine that if you had a perfect 1on1 situation, heavy cavalry would be the most effective.
Having said that, I am aware that an ideal tactical situation nearly never occurred, so historically speaking i'm probably wrong, practically speaking though, that is my reasoning behind it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 04:37:38 pm by 5eMartastik »

Offline gmanburger

• Sergeant
  • 20% Skill. 80% Luck.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gman
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 04:41:44 pm »
I enjoy the medium cavalry the Cuirassiers they got medium swords medium houses and medium armor they were quick and deadly and they look cool.

Offline Jack Spears

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jack Spears
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 05:13:29 pm »

Go away duuring you fudge packer <3

Offline Burrows

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 05:15:39 pm »
Even though it sounds rather one-sided being the 2nd in charge of a heavy cavalry regiment, but to me it seems logical that heavy cavalry is, in the view of utilitarianism, the best cavalry (or 'was', either way). This because of the advantages they have. heavy cavalry would in most occasions beat infantry and cavalry alike when engaged 1on1 (of course in an ideal situation; a perfect 1on1 situation). Of course one could argue that having light cavalry is more useful because of faster movement & hit and run situations, adding a tactical advantage, and that lancers have the advantage that they can deal heavy blows in a charge vs cavalry and infantry. But in the end the heavy cavalry is that which can fend most for itself, granted not entirely, you'd always need support in a cavalry charge, but they can take the hardest hit, were in most cases most intimidating and dealt the heaviest blows because of their main (obvious) aspect, being heav(ily armed).

Of course it can always depend on the situation that you have, when odds aren't ideal you might require other cavalry. But I can only imagine that if you had a perfect 1on1 situation, heavy cavalry would be the most effective.
Having said that, I am aware that an ideal tactical situation nearly never occurred, so historically speaking i'm probably wrong, practically speaking though, that is my reasoning behind it.

I agree heavy cavalry in a 1v1 situation would be the most effective, my vote is Lancers are possibly the best Anti-cav as most will agree

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 05:34:24 pm »
I enjoy the medium cavalry the Cuirassiers they got medium swords medium houses and medium armor they were quick and deadly and they look cool.

medium houses?