Author Topic: Anyone else feel WWI doesn't receive the attention it deserves?  (Read 15505 times)

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
I'll be honest, from what I have heard of many history classes, most of them merely mention WWI (though several do go in depth). Even then, I've yet to have one that mentioned the Pacific portion of the war (even though it had relatively little impact on the outcome), or tried to explain what the Japanese gained from the war (rather, what they didn't gain), that being if they mentioned Japan at all.

I just feel it doesn't get enough attention. Thoughts?

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Anyone else feel WWI doesn't receive the attention it deserves?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 05:34:19 am »
In Canada we spend a large portion of history class on WW1, mostly because of the badass Canadian stormtroopers, but it's mostly on the western front, not the pacific part. But I suspect that in 'Murica they probably don't touch on it as much, due to limited involvment. So yeah, it would be nice if it was covered more evenly, at least.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 06:10:01 am by Killington »
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 06:22:32 am »
Well in my history classes during high school we did talk about World War I.. not entirely indepth, but to be honest really more of the American role in the war, unlike World War 2 and Vietnam.  Im sure it gets a lot more attention in history classes for countries who participated greatly in the war from the start.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 06:49:30 am »
In New South Wales, Australia ,we spend a lot of time studying WW1 ,,not so much on WW2. 

although i call it the Great War ,as it used to be called, and WW1 for me is either the Napoleonic wars or the SYW

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 08:15:08 am »
It is given just as much attention as any other subject here, maybe even more.

Netherlands didn't participate in World war 1, but (apparantly unlike other countries) we are given a wide neutral look on things. When we discuss WW2 The Netherlands is barely mentioned in the first few paragraphs.

Offline Onii

• Donator
  • Your friendly neighbourhood Dane
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 08:27:20 am »
Same as Duuring, in Denmark we talk about the general things surrounding WW1 (and how we sold "Gullash" to the fighters ::))
But when it comes to the WW2 and all that its pretty much only about the german occupation. And then the rest is quickly rapped up.

Offline Hadhod

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Lt_John_MacKintosh
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 10:00:54 am »
Living in germany I can tell you that WW1 usually gets talked through in many ways. We discussed the reasons for the war, the seething conflicts over the whole of Europe, that everyone was ready for war but no one really wanted to start one, about the tactics, etc.  But about the war itself is not really spoken that much as it was trench warfare the most of the time.

Offline Dom13WorstNW

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 10:17:07 am »
well I just finished 8th grade this year and I think we've talked about ww1 and ww2 about 3 times in my years at school total(And we have never talked about the Napoleonic wars) So far the only war we have really covered is the American civil war :-\

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 04:13:53 pm »
The great war was the clash of empires, the destruction of the old ones and the pathway to a new generation. The second world war was a unavoidable sequel of the first and therefore the great war deserves a lot of importance in the history of the civilized world.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 04:18:38 pm »
We learned about it in like a day in 8th grade with a single hand out with a few paragraphs about the old M.A.I.N.S. causes. We went over it even more briefly in my AP world history course, which was rather surprising.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 04:35:00 pm by Nipplestockings »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 04:30:18 pm »
Here in the UK we learnt very little about WW1, in fact I can't even remember being taught it at all. My brother was once told who was on each side, but he insisted that Italy was in the Central Powers so I doubt they taught him well... When I chose to do GCSE History (High school qualification) we spent quite a bit of time on Treaty of Versailles, St. Germain, Neuilly, Sevres etc etc. Nothing on the actual war itself though.

Italy was, originally, in the central powers. However, when the war started they remained neutral, and joined the Entente a year later. It's confusing, I know. That's the Italians for you.

(And we have never talked about the Napoleonic wars) So far the only war we have really covered is the American civil war :-\

BLASFEMY!

Offline Brock

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 04:43:36 pm »
My teachers barely mentioned it, although I'm not surprised seeing as USA did little. We usually talk about American revolution, Texas/USA war with Mexico, and ACW. Very little WW1, WW2, and no Napoleonic Wars.

Offline TWking

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 04:57:31 pm »
Here in the UK we learnt very little about WW1, in fact I can't even remember being taught it at all. My brother was once told who was on each side, but he insisted that Italy was in the Central Powers so I doubt they taught him well... When I chose to do GCSE History (High school qualification) we spent quite a bit of time on Treaty of Versailles, St. Germain, Neuilly, Sevres etc etc. Nothing on the actual war itself though.

Yep same here. they should really rename it "Study start and end of both of the world wars"
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 05:05:40 pm »
My teachers barely mentioned it, although I'm not surprised seeing as USA did little. We usually talk about American revolution, Texas/USA war with Mexico, and ACW. Very little WW1, WW2, and no Napoleonic Wars.

Nationalism all the way.

'Cos all that happened outside of the USA, just ain't important.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 05:10:13 pm »

Nationalism all the way.

'Cos all that happened outside of the USA, just ain't important.

School in America:

All of elementary school: ACW, civil rights movement in america, american revolution
Middle school: Ancient civilizations in 6th grade but the rest is just american history
High school: Pretty basic world history, more american history, advanced placement courses in any history provided your school offers them

I SURE KNOW A LOT ABOUT AMERICAN HISTORY. Just kidding, no I don't, I know next to nothing aside from the basics. Goes to show how much of a failure the American public school system is.