Author Topic: Best General of All Time?  (Read 12599 times)

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
  • Side: Union
Re: Best General of All Time?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 10:27:47 pm »
Alp Arslan

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
  • There isn't a noose tight enough
    • View Profile
    • People's History Podcast
  • Nick: Noah
  • Side: Neutral
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline Madbull

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_Grd_Madbull
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 04:46:21 am »
Cornelius Scipio

Offline Josef Lenin

• Donator
  • Arch Coke Dating Coach
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Josef Lenin
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 08:24:53 am »
Napoleon, Hannibal, Suvorov, Obama
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:02:52 am by Josef_Lenin »

Offline Josef Lenin

• Donator
  • Arch Coke Dating Coach
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Josef Lenin
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 08:26:06 am »
Napoleon, Hannibal, Suvorov, Obama
Sorry :(
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:03:01 am by Josef_Lenin »

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skipper
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 12:11:51 pm »
Napoleon (of course, Austerlitz was genius), Hannibal simply because of Cannae, Marcellus for beating Hannibal multiple times after Cannae and for taking Syracuse (he was a better general than Scipio, just Scipio was over-glorified for the siege of Carthage) and Oliver Cromwell for his civil war achievements, making the new model army the basic structure of military today.

A lot of people have said Alexander "the great". I disagree, personally I believe his achievements were over-glorified and generals aspire to be like him simply because they have not studied deep military history and he is famous for his name. All Alexander really did was win a single battle which gave him the entire Persian empire, from there he just made bad decisions, got half his army killed from disease going too far too boldly into India, and leaving no successor causing war and a split in his empire after his death (he would be terrible at CK2).
Pirate_Battle_1 Community Rep||||[Former]Groupfighting admin, Jail Break server admin||||88th, 126th, 33rd, 24th, 57th, 2ndCSG, 54th, 4th, 65th, 5Brg, 67th, 57e, 28th

Offline ChaBoy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: #ChaBoyisGOAT2015
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 12:58:14 am »
Gotta say one of America's great heroes, George Washington. I mean this guy had it! He was able to fight off one the toughest armies, Britain and Lord Cornwallis, with an army of mainly a rag tag team of farmers and non-trained soldiers. Unbelievable! His war strategies were great! One of my favorite events from him was the Battle of Trenton.
I am the GOAT

Offline ChaBoy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: #ChaBoyisGOAT2015
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 01:00:36 am »
Robert E. Lee and James Longstreet have always been some of my personal favorites, at least in the ACW era.

World history wise... I'll make a list.

Hannibal
Saladin
Davout
Wellsley
Montgomery
Bradley
Eisenhower
Rommel

And while I can understand criticism of Rommel, he was a fairly exeptional general in his field. Even when leading the Afrika Korps he did better than most other generals of the time would against old Monty and Patton.

Yeah Lee did a great job beating the Union in the Civil War LOL
I am the GOAT

Offline Dan the Seagull Chef

• Commander in Chief
  • I use a pinch of Jesus in every dish.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [Chef]Dan_the_Chef
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 01:28:24 am »
Gotta say one of America's great heroes, George Washington. I mean this guy had it! He was able to fight off one the toughest armies, Britain and Lord Cornwallis, with an army of mainly a rag tag team of farmers and non-trained soldiers. Unbelievable! His war strategies were great! One of my favorite events from him was the Battle of Trenton.
You mean to say that while his strategies were great, his tactics were more often then not garbage. Just remember at Trenton George could have been stopped quite easily had the Hessian commander payed any mind to the reports.
Wanna help the Wiki, join the Discord! Here are also the FSE Thread and Taleworlds Thread.

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2014, 10:16:27 am »
Washington was undoubtedly an able commander, but the best? Bear in mind Britain was unable to supply or reinforce the already outnumbered men due to fear of invasion on the homeland after the treaty of Paris caused most European nations to declare war on Britain. It was inevitable they were going to lose, no matter how good their commanders were, due to the lack of troops that were worth more trying to hold a huge country. That war was won due to Britain's mistakes and Britain's limitation, Washington did what any commander should have done, he didn't exactly have a "cannae" did he.
Pirate_Battle_1 Community Rep||||[Former]Groupfighting admin, Jail Break server admin||||88th, 126th, 33rd, 24th, 57th, 2ndCSG, 54th, 4th, 65th, 5Brg, 67th, 57e, 28th

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 10:43:26 am »
Robert E. Lee and James Longstreet have always been some of my personal favorites, at least in the ACW era.

World history wise... I'll make a list.

Hannibal
Saladin
Davout
Wellsley
Montgomery
Bradley
Eisenhower
Rommel

And while I can understand criticism of Rommel, he was a fairly exeptional general in his field. Even when leading the Afrika Korps he did better than most other generals of the time would against old Monty and Patton.

I, personally, would swap Wellesley for Bonaparte. Sure he beat Napoleon however (this is coming from a Brit) not by any brilliant skill. He sat on Mt St Jean during Waterloo relying on the fact that British line infantry was far superior to French due to heavier training and discipline to counter conscription, and the fact he was hoping Bluscher would come with the Prussian army. It was a British victory, far more than a Prussian, however because Napoleon was rash in his attacks due to worries about the Prussian army, the fact he delayed for the rain, and the fact Ney made him lose his unsupported cavalry. True, Wellesley was brilliant in the peninsula and in India however he can't match the achievements of Napoleon at the time, not after he defeated Austria, Russia, Prussia, and Spain singlehandedly from a revolutionary nation.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 11:48:17 am »
It was a British victory

OH COME ON!

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2014, 02:06:18 pm »
It was a British victory

OH COME ON!

lol, so unappreciated.
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline 1stNOG_IDF

• First Lieutenant
  • I will forever serve Israel, the Jewish Homeland.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stNOG_Overlord_IDF
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2014, 07:01:38 pm »
Napoleon
Sun Tzu (Sun Tzu 2nd because Napoleon put his 'high ground' tactic to shame at Austerlitz)
Moshe Dayan
Saladin
Genghis Khan