Author Topic: Why was the Wehrmacht so superior?  (Read 37306 times)

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Why was the Wehrmacht so superior?
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2013, 05:39:22 pm »
Yeah, their armies weren't cut out for conquering. most these soldiers didnt have the morale that the germans had. I consider morale indispensible and the germans certainly had an extra edge with their goofy ideology that their allies didnt really have. 

Russians also had a certain morale that can be compared to Revolutionary fervour although thats another story since the USSR wasn't Communist unlike most people think ,but actually State Capitalist. The world is absurd.
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
  • Side: Union
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2013, 05:44:11 pm »
It would have been much more beneficial to the Germans if they used their allies' divisions to protect the coasts to free up more Heer divisions, that's atleast what i always do in Hearts of Iron  :P

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2013, 05:44:48 pm »
Also, Hitler had a very good understanding of Economic warfare, he knew that without oil and industries, that you cannot build or drive your tanks. Without tanks you cannot wage modern warfare, something that many senior German generals overlooked. I'm not claiming he is a genius at all, infact many of his decisions were crazy and made no sense militarily as he became more and more megalomaniatic.

I understand that too. Am I of very good understanding on Economic warfare now?
If Rommel had always been in surpreme command of the German army, I bet it would have been better for the Third Reich.

Hitler was too concerned of PR.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2013, 05:49:43 pm »
Also, Hitler had a very good understanding of Economic warfare, he knew that without oil and industries, that you cannot build or drive your tanks. Without tanks you cannot wage modern warfare, something that many senior German generals overlooked. I'm not claiming he is a genius at all, infact many of his decisions were crazy and made no sense militarily as he became more and more megalomaniatic.

I understand that too. Am I of very good understanding on Economic warfare now?
If Rommel had always been in surpreme command of the German army, I bet it would have been better for the Third Reich.

Hitler was too concerned of PR.

Sorry, can't reply to dumb sarcasm. The fact that you claim Rommel, the guy who knew hardly anything of logistics and strategy, would be a better leader just makes me realise how little you know of this subject.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Tali

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2013, 06:48:00 pm »
If Rommel was so great why wasn't he on the Eastern Front? Why was he never given what OKW thought was a prestigious and highly important command? In the West we like to "pretend" that North Africa and Western Europe were every bit as important as the Russian Front, but to the Germans the Russian Front was it. That's where they sent over 2/3 of their military and suffered 80% of their casualties. Rommel wasn't even privy to knowing that the invasion of the Soviet Union would be happening which is why he thought when he launched his attack across North Africa that he would quickly be given all the men and supplies he would need. Sadly for him this wouldn't be the case.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2013, 12:19:07 am »
If Rommel was so great why wasn't he on the Eastern Front? Why was he never given what OKW thought was a prestigious and highly important command? In the West we like to "pretend" that North Africa and Western Europe were every bit as important as the Russian Front, but to the Germans the Russian Front was it. That's where they sent over 2/3 of their military and suffered 80% of their casualties. Rommel wasn't even privy to knowing that the invasion of the Soviet Union would be happening which is why he thought when he launched his attack across North Africa that he would quickly be given all the men and supplies he would need. Sadly for him this wouldn't be the case.

Pretty much that, if i were to create an army of any commanders throughout times he would probably be one of my top division or even corps leader, anything more than that is way beyond his capabilities.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2013, 12:24:33 am »
People judge Rommel to harshly for the German loss during D-Day. Truth is, if Hitler actually allowed Rommel's command staff to use the Panzer reserves they probably could have beaten the allied advance back.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2013, 12:44:28 am »
People judge Rommel to harshly for the German loss during D-Day. Truth is, if Hitler actually allowed Rommel's command staff to use the Panzer reserves they probably could have beaten the allied advance back.

Not sure if i completly agree with you there, because we saw at Salerno, when the Americans landed there, they were immediatly attacked by Panzer divisions (Was it the Hermann Goering div?). Eventhough the tanks rolled over the outer defenses, they were stopped as soon as the allies called in naval gunfire and brough their air power in.

It might have been possible if Rommel could hit the allied forces extremely hard and very quick, but that was unlikely no matter what situation. Although i will say the positions Hitler had gave Panzerarmee West were ridiculous and lost huge amounts of time when the invasion did come.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:46:53 am by Archduke Sven »

told that bih don't @ me

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2013, 12:48:41 am »
It was actually a clever trick by the Allies, setting up a fake invasion force that made the Heer put more defence around Calais.

I remember when my Great Uncle walked onto the shore of Gold beach after the Canadian forces secured the area (He was FFF, they didn't do much initial fighting). He told me that he had met a Frenchman who had been conscripted into the Heer, and they he told them how surprised the Axis forces were.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline weaverwarrior12

• First Lieutenant
  • God with us!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 10thBI_SGfr_Stormtrooper
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2013, 11:52:26 am »
Spoiler
[close]

Offline GodsonGuys

• Second Lieutenant
  • The 1st Cavalry and Infantry Regiment is Recruitin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [1stCI
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2013, 01:05:19 pm »
I would just like to warn you guys about Section 11. Be careful with it, as your Topic may be locked.
Mother Führer Gentlemen -

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2013, 02:27:41 pm »
I would just like to warn you guys about Section 11. Be careful with it, as your Topic may be locked.

Its really just one person doing it.

Anyway, we need Docms wisdom on this. He knows the truth.

Offline The Respected Man

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: The_Respected_Man
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2013, 02:36:49 pm »
if they were so good they would have won
Brits - 1
Germany - 0

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2013, 05:03:42 pm »
The allies lost sixteen million men. The axis lost eight million.
Yep, I would call them superior.

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2013, 05:05:30 pm »
The allies lost sixteen million men. The axis lost eight million.
Yep, I would call them superior.

Its the reasons behind the casualties that you have to question, not the statistics.