Author Topic: Infantry with shovels  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Frederik

• Donator
  • Never forget 03.09.2015 #freeturin
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Infantry with shovels
« on: October 14, 2013, 08:20:13 pm »
I would suggest to add a Rank with an showel and an weaker musket to each Lineinfantry unit and enable it to dig with the showel without using the construction hammer, so a Line will be able to create some defences without loosing mutch firepower.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:07:54 pm by Frederik »
ich will dich für android
He's a well-known nationalist with no respect for actual history or historians.
For a second I thought you were talking about me. :3

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
Re: Infantry with showels
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 08:32:46 pm »
Instead of making a smart-ass comment, I'll simply point out that it's 'shovel'. I was very confused when I first read this post.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 08:45:00 pm »
That could work, but it would also render the sapper virtually useless considering his only viable job after that would be to construct fortifications with the hammer. And besides, imagine if 80% of the team had the capability to dig trenches. They would be spammed up the ass, and then the build-points would be wasted and the vast majority of the team wouldn't ever get to dig trenches.

I think it's fine to keep the shovel exclusive to sappers, and besides, individual soldiers did not carry shovels in the Napoleonic wars. Here's an excerpt from wikipedia:

Being too long and heavy to be transported by individual soldiers, entrenching shovels and spades were normally carried in the supply carts (logistics train) of a military column; only pioneer or engineer troops typically carried spades or shovels as part of their individual equipment.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:47:10 pm by Nipplestockings »

Offline Frederik

• Donator
  • Never forget 03.09.2015 #freeturin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 09:07:41 pm »
Docm: Sorry i am not the best at english
Nipplestockings: To my mind building fortifications is the main Job for Sappers and trenches are not really effecti except of catching bullets and at least in the prussian army, each third soldier had to carry a shovel or an axe, so i would say Wikipedia is not right.
ich will dich für android
He's a well-known nationalist with no respect for actual history or historians.
For a second I thought you were talking about me. :3