Author Topic: Best modelling/animation software?  (Read 3467 times)

Offline JohannBrahms

• Sergeant
  • benis
    • View Profile
  • Nick: JohannBrahms
  • Side: Neutral
Best modelling/animation software?
« on: October 13, 2015, 07:20:44 pm »
3DS Max, Wings 3D, Blender, which one do you guys think is the best? I'm thinking about trying out modelling and was wondering what software I should use.

While I have your attention I was just wondering how difficult it would be to implement crouch walking and prone/crawling. Assuming I could make/find somewhat good animations, I imagine there would still be major, major hurtles beyond that.

Edit: just finished my first model in 123 D Design
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 09:36:05 pm by JohannBrahms »

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Best modelling/animation softare?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 08:25:12 pm »
I suck at modelling, so I just use Wings3d because it's free.
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline BNS Marko

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Bear Force 2
  • Nick: BNS Marko
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 08:39:33 pm »
Blender has a good smd plugin that you can use to animate.

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 09:02:25 pm »
While I have your attention I was just wondering how difficult it would be to implement crouch walking and prone/crawling. Assuming I could make/find somewhat good animations, I imagine there would still be major, major hurtles beyond that.

To that, I would say it's definitely possible. The Deluge mod has crouch walking. Having said that, the easy part is getting the animation, coding the parameters is probably the harder part.
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline JohannBrahms

• Sergeant
  • benis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 09:35:25 pm »
Blender has a good smd plugin that you can use to animate.
SMD plugin?  :o

inb4 SMD= suck my d

Offline JohannBrahms

• Sergeant
  • benis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 09:40:17 pm »

To that, I would say it's definitely possible. The Deluge mod has crouch walking. Having said that, the easy part is getting the animation, coding the parameters is probably the harder part.
Oh cool. I was just wondering because I feel like if someone made a mod for crouchwalking/prone that could be applied to existing ones that use guns extensively (Iron Europe, Blood & Iron, etc.) Which leads me to my next question: if I made animations for crouchwalking/crawling while prone with a gun, could it be easily applied to mods that use breechloaders/bolt actions, or would the animations have to be made for each specific mod and then coded in for that particular mod?

I feel like prone would be way harder than crouch walking- if someone is prone and turning, it's either going to look really stupid or you're going to have to limit their speed while they do some crawling in a circle, not only would it be hard to animate but it'd be hard to code a limit for the speed, and make sure they use the correct directional animation while crawling- different animations for rotating, forward, backward, sideways- yeah that sounds nearly impossible and not super useful, even for a mod with somewhat advanced firearms like breechloaders, lever actions (can't really fire them prone anyways), or bolt actions.

Also, is it really hard to code in animations- mods that focus on shooting more modern guns often have muzzle-loading animations, is that because the modders are lazy or because it's super time consuming to not only animate but to code in the animation?
TL;DR could you make a crouch-walking add on that could easily be applied to gun-heavy mods?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 09:44:43 pm by JohannBrahms »

Offline JohannBrahms

• Sergeant
  • benis
    • View Profile
Re: Best modelling/animation software?
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 05:49:13 am »
Here's a Poleaxe I made.

I'm liking 123 D Design. It also is consistent with more advanced software, meaning some of the more complicated Autodesk software are just improvements of 123 D Design, so what I learn will be applicable to the better versions.

Does Wings 3D have a feature for "sketching"- meaning, can I trace a figure and extrude from it? I find this is to be a really important feature, if Wings 3D doesn't have it you should all just use 123 D Design since it's also free  :P

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 01:18:15 pm »
Considering I hardly did any modeling, I can't really tell from personal experience. But from what I've been hearing Wings3d isn't the right software you want to use if you are planning to create high quality models efficiently. Even though, Wings3d does have a rather easy learning curve. But yeah, if you're planning to approach it seriously in the long run then one of the first mentioned programs would be a good way to start with.

So Blender, 3DS Max or Maya would be good options. Modo seems to be alright as well.

Offline JohannBrahms

• Sergeant
  • benis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 03:19:06 pm »
Considering I hardly did any modeling, I can't really tell from personal experience. But from what I've been hearing Wings3d isn't the right software you want to use if you are planning to create high quality models efficiently. Even though, Wings3d does have a rather easy learning curve. But yeah, if you're planning to approach it seriously in the long run then one of the first mentioned programs would be a good way to start with.

So Blender, 3DS Max or Maya would be good options. Modo seems to be alright as well.
Am I correct in thinking 123D Design is a basic version of 3DS max?

Offline BNS Marko

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Bear Force 2
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 05:19:42 pm »
Just use Blender.

Offline JohannBrahms

• Sergeant
  • benis
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 05:48:33 pm »
Just use Blender.
How is it better than 3DS Max? Or Maya? I don't know much about any of the three. Although I've seen Battle of Yugoslavia looks to have some well shaped/textured models, so I might take your word for it.

Also I tried turning my 123D Design model into an STL file I could load up into Wings3D so I could UVmap it so I could do some texturing but it didn't work :/

Wings3D just gives me a crash log whenever I try to load the file.

Also, Blender doesn't have a Sketch feature, which seems extremely useful. The Sketch feature autodesk has (at least for 123D Design) lets you sketch a shape, like an axe head, and extrude out from it. In this video

This guy very slowly models from an image. If I could actually get a freaking SVG to open in 123D Design, I could trace it all, extrude from it, and then start changing the width of things (so the blade would be narrower than the guard, for instance)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 05:58:36 pm by JohannBrahms »

Offline BNS Marko

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Bear Force 2
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 05:56:35 pm »
Blender is free. For Max and Maya you can get a license, but still.
It's very multi-performing, and relies a lot of hotkeys. There are tons of tutorials and once it's grasped, it's very powerful.
And also importantly, it has the .SMD plugin available if you want to make animations  ;)

Offline JohannBrahms

• Sergeant
  • benis
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 05:59:24 pm »
Blender is free. For Max and Maya you can get a license, but still.
It's very multi-performing, and relies a lot of hotkeys. There are tons of tutorials and once it's grasped, it's very powerful.
And also importantly, it has the .SMD plugin available if you want to make animations  ;)
Okay, I'll look into it, but any word on that sketch feature :O? Max and Maya might not even have it, I just know that SOME autodesk software does.

edit: skip to 2:50 to see sketch feature
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 06:52:06 pm by JohannBrahms »

Offline JohannBrahms

• Sergeant
  • benis
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 04:46:27 am »
WHY can't I open UV mapping with this model, but an earlier save of it I can :/?
Edit: found a way to open it.  There's a button in the top right hand quarter of the screen for editor types.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 05:28:52 am by JohannBrahms »

Offline JohannBrahms

• Sergeant
  • benis
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 07:45:51 am »
ayy lookie what I did, made a neat little saber