1 (50%)
Diamondbacks
0 (0%)
Phillies
0 (0%)
Rangers
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Baseball Thread  (Read 68760 times)

Offline Mexican

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • perpetually injected with Imipolex G since 2013
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Meximemer
  • Side: Union
Re: Baseball Thread
« Reply #345 on: July 18, 2019, 08:19:08 pm »
The great thing about WAR is that it accounts for the strength of the competition and the meta of the period in which the player played in. So for example in the early 2000s when everyone was on steroids, there were many power hitters who were able to rack up the stats vs the 2010s where pitchers are much more dominant, we’re less likely to see power hitting stats. The only argument here would be wether the WAR stat itself is accurate or not. I am assuming it is.

The other argument you could make is that Trout had an extra year so that comparison can’t be made. I would say though that the older you are (to a degree) you are much more likely to do well in the majors. So I don’t think Pujols would have done as well at 20 as he did at 21.
666x 1v1 Champion | 69x 5v5 Winner | 420x Regimental Champion | 1x Autistic Memer Award

Offline Vertildr

• First Lieutenant
  • ayeo
    • View Profile
  • Nick: JohnFortnite
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #346 on: July 18, 2019, 08:42:21 pm »
 Would your statements about how WAR changes based on the era prove that his war would be higher in today's age? He had been proven clean from multiple tests in relation to use of steroids and he still had those numbers. Would his stats be affected by the effectiveness of sterioid use by other players?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:02:46 pm by Camdenj56 »
movement keyer

Offline Vertildr

• First Lieutenant
  • ayeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 18, 2019, 08:48:02 pm »
Additionally, I doubt the validity of the speculation concerning younger age in performance primarily for pujols. His stats are consistent and even looks better in his first year than compared to even some of his later years as a cardinal.
movement keyer

Offline Vertildr

• First Lieutenant
  • ayeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 18, 2019, 08:49:52 pm »
Additionally, I doubt the validity of the speculation concerning younger age in performance primarily for pujols. His stats are consistent and even looks better in his first year than compared to even some of his later years as a cardinal.

And just look at his SOs. The man put the ball in play.
movement keyer

Offline Mexican

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • perpetually injected with Imipolex G since 2013
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Meximemer
« Reply #349 on: July 18, 2019, 09:31:31 pm »
It might be higher in today's age but pitchers are so strong now it's hard to be sure. IT does suck that he was a clean slugger in an age of roided sluggers, but that was the meta of the time so every strategy revolved around power hits. Pitchers in the early 2000s weren't as prioritized either and as a result pitching quality was pretty garb (Ben Sheets, Cliff Lee, Tim Lincecum were all starting pitchers for the All Star teams in 08-09, Pujols' best years) so that should be considered.
666x 1v1 Champion | 69x 5v5 Winner | 420x Regimental Champion | 1x Autistic Memer Award

Offline Vertildr

• First Lieutenant
  • ayeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 18, 2019, 10:51:56 pm »
If we are discounting statistics based on the period, what should we do when we consider the controversy of juiced balls which everyone is talking about.
movement keyer

Offline Xethos

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oprichnik_Marshal_Xethos
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #351 on: July 18, 2019, 11:05:27 pm »
while pujols at 21

Which, in Domincan, is 23 or 24.
04:25:13 - [Cup_of_Tea] Hey Xethos! I bet you're a gentleman of less than reputable quality!

Offline ~NickCole~

• Brigadier General
  • Your nans
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 093
« Reply #352 on: July 18, 2019, 11:16:57 pm »
Tim Lincecum has a strong 4 years with the giants. His career declined quickly because of how aggressive his pitching motion was. He isn’t that athletic  to be able to pitch like that very effectively for a long time. Cliff Lee was one of the big 3 on the Phillies team. They had some great years but were of course a off brand version of the Braves big 3 or the Orioles big 3. Both pitchers were really good so don’t discredit them!!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:18:31 pm by -Nick »

Offline Vertildr

• First Lieutenant
  • ayeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 18, 2019, 11:37:44 pm »
Tim Lincecum has a strong 4 years with the giants. His career declined quickly because of how aggressive his pitching motion was. He isn’t that athletic  to be able to pitch like that very effectively for a long time. Cliff Lee was one of the big 3 on the Phillies team. They had some great years but were of course a off brand version of the Braves big 3 or the Orioles big 3. Both pitchers were really good so don’t discredit them!!

Obviously there are bad, how else could Pujols hit? Debunked
movement keyer

Offline ~NickCole~

• Brigadier General
  • Your nans
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 093
« Reply #354 on: July 19, 2019, 12:33:12 am »

Obviously there are bad, how else could Pujols hit? Debunked
Triggered!!!

Offline Xethos

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oprichnik_Marshal_Xethos
« Reply #355 on: July 19, 2019, 12:55:03 am »
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 12:59:23 am by Xethos »
04:25:13 - [Cup_of_Tea] Hey Xethos! I bet you're a gentleman of less than reputable quality!

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
« Reply #356 on: July 19, 2019, 02:29:30 am »
The fact that people think he can beat Aaron's record is sad.

Offline Superbad

• Ros the whore of Winterfell
  • Donator
  • Nothing gold can stay...
    • View Profile
  • Nick: SuperbadV
« Reply #357 on: July 20, 2019, 09:12:26 am »
The fact that people think he can beat Aaron's record is sad.

Albert is currently at, if baseball-reference is up to date, 647 HRs. Aaron finished with 755. That's 108 HRs. Pujols is signed through 2021, I believe. That would be his age-41 season. I don't think he can pass Hank Aaron on the all-time HR list. I think he could definitely pass Willie Mays (660) and MAYBE, if he has a decent year, he could pass A-Rod (696) but I think that is a BIG MAYBE. He is; however, a future first ballot Hall of Famer, and we cannot deny that.

Offline Fartknocker

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Fartknocker
« Reply #358 on: August 26, 2019, 04:16:27 am »
63e pawn in an anti-63e world.

Offline ~NickCole~

• Brigadier General
  • Your nans
    • View Profile