Author Topic: Choosing your Regiment - A guide  (Read 118295 times)

Offline Althalus

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Althalus
  • Side: Neutral
Choosing your Regiment - A guide
« on: August 09, 2013, 01:27:30 pm »

Contents:

- Overview
     - What you need
     - Knowing what you want
     - Time
     - Style
     - Faction
     - Size
     - Members and Nationality

Overview:

Choosing a regiment can be as easy or difficult as you make it. Some people will join the first regiment that catches their eye. This guide is for those who want to put some more thought behind the decision. Remember, this regiment could give you hours of enjoyment, or it could just as easily ruin this game for you. Therefore, it is a choice that warrants a little time. At the end of the day, you want to be having fun when you're playing. I know all too well what it's like when playing this game becomes a chore, you don't want that.

As of the writing of this thread, there are somewhere in the region of 300 regiments on the official regiment list, with countless others not on the list. That means a lot of choice, and a lot of people that want you. With that in mind, here are a few tips to consider when finding a regiment.

What you need to join a regiment:

Firstly, let's cover the basics of what is required by almost every regiment in the community. It doesn't hurt to come prepared.

- A copy of Mount and Blade: Warband and Napoleonic Wars - If you don't have this, you'll probably want to get one. It's necessary in every regiment. Ever.

- Teamspeak 3 Client - Teamspeak is a Voice over Internet-Protocol program used to chat and give orders in the vast majority of regiments. Most regiments will require you to have this program for events, but will not require you to have a microphone. Bear in mind that not all regiments will use this, so check out what a regiment uses before you join.

- Steam - While not exactly essential, steam is already used by most gamers, and really makes everything a lot handier in regiments.

Knowing what you want:

This is something only you know. Everyone has different tastes, and with so many regiments out there you're certain to find one to fit yours. However, here are some basics to look out for if you're not sure what to choose.

Time

Timezone is one of the very first things you should check out when looking for a regiment. It might be perfect in every other way, but a regiment where you can't attend the events probably won't do you much good, so make sure to choose one in a timezone that suits you.

Also check out the regiment's schedule. While you most likely won't be forced to be at every event, it's a good idea to make sure you'll be able to at least attend some of them.

Style

I like to think of regiment styles in a similar way to political ideals. You have extremes on two sides - In this case relaxed and/or trollish(They don't necessarily go together) and professional/serious - and everything in between. Knowing what you want may not be all that easy, as regiments often aren't what you expect them to be. So be careful about your choice of regiment in this case. I'd always recommend going for somewhere in the middle for your first regiment, but of course it's entirely up to you.

Faction

This is a slightly less important one, but it does help to narrow down your search a bit. The 5 factions in game each have plenty of regiments to choose from, so it's a good idea to choose one that you like and work from there.

Unit

If you're new to regiments, I'd suggest going to a regiment/army that has a number of different types of unit, so you can give them a try and see what you enjoy. If you already know what unit you enjoy - look for them. Generally, there are a few different types of unit:
    • Line Infantry - By far the most common. Focus on a mix of shooting and melee. The staple of most linebattles. They tend to fire a few volleys before charging into the fray
    • Guard Infantry / Grenadiers - Heavily focused on melee. Tend to prefer a straight up charge to a drawn out firefight. This focus varies from unit to unit.
    • Light Infantry - Long range Shooters. Still capable of holding their own in melee but more focused on picking off enemies from a distance.
    • Skirmishers - Further again towards the shooting side. Generally use Rifles, making them weak in close combat and slow to fire but much better at hitting at range than any other unit.
    • Cavalry - Horsemen. They come in multiple types (Dragoons / Lancers / Hussars etc.) but all fill the same general purpose. Move fast, kill the priority enemies and get out if possible.
    • Artillery - Use cannons to hit from a massive range. Focus on taking out as many enemies as possible. Much more stationary than the other roles.
    IMPORTANT! This is just a general overview! Not all regiments will conform to these descriptions of their class, make sure to check out what they do before you toss them aside! I.E. A lot of "Grenadier" regiments will play more like the description of Line Infantry.

Size

Again, there are extremes on both sides of this, and everything between. You can have regiments with upwards of 70 members at every linebattle, and you can have regiments with 5. So think carefully about the advantages and disadvantages of the different sizes. A large regiment will be well established, have plenty of events - and lots of members. This may make it more difficult to integrate (although this is rare) and a lot more difficult to gain ranks. In a smaller regiment, it's the flip side. They may have a very welcoming group of people, and make sure you have plenty of chances to rise through the ranks, but they may not have the large scale battles of the larger regiments. Of course, there are plenty of regiments out there with a balance, so bear those in mind as well.

Members and Nationality

Although you may think it's obvious, be sure that the regiment you're joining operates in a language that you're comfortable with. There are regiments with lots of nationalities out there.

Also bear in mind the existing members of a regiment - you may already know some, and they might influence your decision either for or against the regiment. A friend in a regiment can make it a hundred times better, but someone you dislike can spoil it just as fast.

So, good luck to you all in choosing your regiment. Remember, the game is here for you to enjoy it, so make sure you don't let a regiment ruin it! Have fun!

[/list]
    « Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:45:46 pm by Althalus »

Offline Syntax

• First Lieutenant
    • 사랑 - 행복 - 가족
      • View Profile
    Re: Choosing your Regiment - A guide
    « Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 01:29:19 pm »
    Nice guide!

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
    • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 01:31:27 pm »
    Cool guide dude.

Offline regwilliam

• Donator
    • add regwilliam to join 1stNJ
      • View Profile
    • Nick: William
    • Side: Union
    « Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 01:33:02 pm »
    a very good guide

Offline Malakith

• First Lieutenant
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 01:33:27 pm »
    My only point would be not everybody uses Teamspeak 3 as there are numerous alternatives so checking what the regiment uses would be the real requirement.

Offline Althalus

• Second Lieutenant
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 01:34:07 pm »
    My only point would be not everybody uses Teamspeak 3 as there are numerous alternatives so checking what the regiment uses would be the real requirement.

Thanks, I'll add that in.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 01:41:20 pm »
     - A copy of Napoleonic Wars - Duh. If you don't have this, you'll probably want to get one.

Holy shit you would be surprised how many people try to join regiments without the game / legal version.

Offline Althalus

• Second Lieutenant
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 01:56:41 pm »
    - A copy of Napoleonic Wars - Duh. If you don't have this, you'll probably want to get one.

Holy shit you would be surprised how many people try to join regiments without the game / legal version.

That's precisely why I didn't leave it out of the guide!

Offline Malakith

• First Lieutenant
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 02:03:00 pm »
    You may want to explain and link directly to the Warband and NW part on steam or something as well, a lot of people on my videos think you need the original Mount and Blade.

Offline Eatjello

• Donator
      • View Profile
    • Side: Confederacy
    « Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 02:04:40 pm »
    Sorry but I don't recall seening the word FUN in this? Do u mean a regiment should not be about FUN? corrcet me plz for I may be wrong in this matter, But I seem to think gaming and gaming groups should be about haven FUN

some call me a hippie and bad grammar and spelling
    Im just a man eating some jello

Offline Althalus

• Second Lieutenant
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 02:05:46 pm »
    You may want to explain and link directly to the Warband and NW part on steam or something as well, a lot of people on my videos think you need the original Mount and Blade.

Thanks, added.

Sorry but I don't recall seening the word FUN in this? Do u mean a regiment should not be about FUN? corrcet me plz for I may be wrong in this matter, But I seem to think gaming and gaming groups should be about haven FUN

some call me a hippie and bad grammar and spelling
    Im just a man eating some jello

That's your opinion. This entire guide is about choosing a regiment so that you will have fun.

Offline Oakenshield

• Second Lieutenant
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 03:02:01 pm »
    Hmm nice helpful guide

Offline Eazy-E

• Lieutenant Colonel
      • View Profile
    • Nick: E
    « Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 08:10:54 pm »
    You forgot the sub-section where you promote certain regiments who have paid for a spot on the thread ;)

nice guide though

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
      • View Profile
    • Nick: 1erMar/IrishNap
    « Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 08:34:40 pm »
    Interesting. Very interesting. Good luck ;)

Offline Althalus

• Second Lieutenant
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 09:18:33 pm »
    You forgot the sub-section where you promote certain regiments who have paid for a spot on the thread ;)

nice guide though

That part comes later.