Author Topic: Developer Blog 22 - In-game Teaser  (Read 90054 times)

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Developer Blog 22 - In-game Teaser
« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2014, 08:24:31 am »
Can't wait to compare this to War of Rights, still trying to decide which way I will go.
Spoiler
[close]
I think I have gotten the 2 games figured out and where they will stand. I might be wrong, but to me, War of Rights seems to be catering towards regiments and group play with it's realism and engine, where as Battle Cry of Freedom is more of a get on a 500 player server and have fun in a clusterfuck of awesomeness. Both will be great, both will appeal to different crowds, unless you are down for anything like me :D

ehh some of that is correct.

Both games are going to cadre to regiments and realism just as much. Thing is BCoF will have hundreds of players on servers while War of Rights is capped at 60
And how do you know that?

The cry engine (unless recently changed) has a maximum of 60 players. As well you would need a beast of a computer to run any higher amount of that effectively. For this reason FSE is using the unity engine for it is the best available engine that supports large player counts.

Although it looks like a fun game and im definitely buying it in the aspect of large multiplayer events it could not compete with BCoF.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:26:39 am by Millander »
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2014, 09:07:52 am »
64 actually hue hue. It's battlegrounds 2 all over again.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2014, 09:13:44 am »
Hm, seems like you can make MMO's with the Cry Engine so I don't think there is a cap (source Wikipedia). Olafson said however that their is a 64 player limit. I think (though I know very little about game engines) that it's probably harder to optimize the cry engine for larger battles (just what I thought Olafson might have meant). Another thought is that their is completely different mechanics between a MMO & a FPS though.

I feel like cry engine is probably a better engine if you got a lot of experience so I don't blame FSE for picking an easy to use & optimize engine for their first game.. I also highly doubt Wotr will get 500 player battles though but we shall see.

I think both games will be good in their own way.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:29:12 am by Furrnox »

Offline Onii

• Donator
  • Your friendly neighbourhood Dane
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2014, 09:32:24 am »
Just realised, who is the players in the Dev Blog pics? :o

Magical AI?

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2014, 09:34:43 am »
the devs afaik.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2014, 09:35:02 am »
Devs and friends?

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
« Reply #156 on: January 15, 2014, 09:38:16 am »
Devs and friends?

friends? the devs have friends?  ???

Spoiler
jk pls dont hurtz moi.
[close]

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
« Reply #157 on: January 15, 2014, 11:12:47 am »
Mahud im sure you remember all the fun talk of when NW was announced. Basically all of them saying Mount and Musket wasent good enough to be its own game etc. As long as they don't come on here its all good.
 To each his own.
Quite true, but that was also caused by Taleworlds denying Yoshiboy (I think it was him) a chance at creating a Caribbean/Pirate DLC/expansion and later on announcing M&B Into the Caribbean and NW.
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline Bamse

• Second Lieutenant
  • Former 15th Hussar SCoH, 16e Hussard Cpt.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 16e_Huss_Lt_Bamse
« Reply #158 on: January 15, 2014, 11:34:10 am »
Looks great!

Current: 16e Regiment de Hussards - Lieutenant Bamse
Past Regiments: 15th Hussars - Staff Corporal of Horse | K1. Kungliga Livgardet Till Häst

Offline Mocotaugan

• Donator
  • Ever Vigilant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mocotaugan
« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2014, 12:37:59 pm »
Looks like everything is coming together nicely keep up the awesome work!

Offline Aldemar

• Donator
  • 84e Prison Builder
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2014, 01:42:38 pm »

Offline brata123

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2014, 01:45:40 pm »
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 02:02:32 am by brata123 »

Offline MrBeasty127

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2014, 01:51:11 pm »
I'm glad to see that you've made progress. The graphics look decent enough, but I'm much more bothered about the gameplay. I can't emphasize enough, how important the combat system is. It will literally, make or break this game. Mount & Blade has been very successful, because of it's outstanding melee combat, not it's graphics, presentation or realism. Because of it's success, I suggest that you copy Mount and Blade's combat as much as possible.

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
« Reply #163 on: January 15, 2014, 02:08:17 pm »
I'm glad to see that you've made progress. The graphics look decent enough, but I'm much more bothered about the gameplay. I can't emphasize enough, how important the combat system is. It will literally, make or break this game. Mount & Blade has been very successful, because of it's outstanding melee combat, not it's graphics, presentation or realism. Because of it's success, I suggest that you copy Mount and Blade's combat as much as possible.
With better animations and hitboxes, of course.

Offline Death by EMP

• Major
  • Crunch, forever and always
    • View Profile
  • Nick: CRUNCH
« Reply #164 on: January 15, 2014, 02:13:21 pm »
Massive amount's of quotes and replies
Mahud im sure you remember all the fun talk of when NW was announced. Basically all of them saying Mount and Musket wasent good enough to be its own game etc. As long as they don't come on here its all good.
 To each his own.
Quite true, but that was also caused by Taleworlds denying Yoshiboy (I think it was him) a chance at creating a Caribbean/Pirate DLC/expansion and later on announcing M&B Into the Caribbean and NW.
We are still getting that though, in the form of Mount and Blade: Caribbean! by Snowbird Games.

Can't wait to compare this to War of Rights, still trying to decide which way I will go.
Spoiler
[close]
I think I have gotten the 2 games figured out and where they will stand. I might be wrong, but to me, War of Rights seems to be catering towards regiments and group play with it's realism and engine, where as Battle Cry of Freedom is more of a get on a 500 player server and have fun in a clusterfuck of awesomeness. Both will be great, both will appeal to different crowds, unless you are down for anything like me :D

ehh some of that is correct.

Both games are going to cadre to regiments and realism just as much. Thing is BCoF will have hundreds of players on servers while War of Rights is capped at 60
And how do you know that?

The cry engine (unless recently changed) has a maximum of 60 players. As well you would need a beast of a computer to run any higher amount of that effectively. For this reason FSE is using the unity engine for it is the best available engine that supports large player counts.

Although it looks like a fun game and im definitely buying it in the aspect of large multiplayer events it could not compete with BCoF.
No, I don't believe that to be true Millander. I'm not claiming to know a lot about engines, but I don't think any engine is TRULY capped in terms of players. It all depends on how you use the engine and how you use your resources. Of course, there IS a cap on the amount of players in terms of how many can the average player support with their rig. That said, knowing Hinkel, I don't think he would settle for 64 players. This is all speculation but I'm expecting 100 player support, at the least.

Also, I don't know what is up with the common belief that CryEngine is a taxing engine. It really isn't, and is probably one of the most customizable engines out there for developers, it's a damn great engine, has some awesome mod tools too. With CryEngine you could go from a game that could be ran on a 400 dollar pc to a game that can barely be run on a 1,500 dollar machine, it's a very versatile engine. To put it in perspective, here is Far Cry, the first game released with CryEngine (I believe)
Far Cry Screenshots
[close]
and here is Crysis 1 modded (Just because you can still get higher fidelity out of modded Crysis than any other CryEngine game out right now imo)
In order of appearance: ENB; Lighting Mod; Texture Pack (Screenshots are all mine)
[close]

As you can see, the variation between fidelity is massive, and it shows in the recommended (not minimum) specs.

Far Cry Recommended Specs
Supported OS: Windows 2000/XP (only)
Processor: AMD Athlon 2-3 GHz or Pentium 4 2-3 GHz
Memory: 512-1024 MB
Sound: Sound Blaster® Audigy® series (see supported list*)
Graphics: 128 MB GeForce™ 4 128 MB to GeForce FX 5950; ATI Radeon 9500-9800 XT
*Supported video cards at time of retail release: NVIDIA GeForce 2/3/4/FX families ( NVIDIA based cards must have ForceWare drivers 53.03 or later; GeForce 2 and GeForce 4 MX cards do not support all graphics features). ATI Radeon 8500/9000 families (ATI Radeon 9500-9800 XT recommended; ATI-based cards must have Catalyst drivers 3.9 or higher). Laptop models of the listed cards are not fully supported. For an up-to-date list of supported chipsets, video cards, and operating systems, please visit the FAQ for this game at: http://support.ubi.com.
[close]

Crysis Modded Recommended Specs (According to mod makers)
GTX690 or above/ AMD equivalent
Mid end Intel i5 processor/ AMD equivalent
8gb of RAM
Windows XP or higher
~50gb HDD space
[close]

Taking those 2 statistics in consideration and assuming War of Rights is going for in between those 2, you don't really need some great gaming computer, you could probably run the game pretty well with a mid range PC. Of course this is all assumption since we still don't know too much about how War of Rights is being designed.

Hm, seems like you can make MMO's with the Cry Engine so I don't think there is a cap (source Wikipedia). Olafson said however that their is a 64 player limit. I think (though I know very little about game engines) that it's probably harder to optimize the cry engine for larger battles (just what I thought Olafson might have meant). Another thought is that their is completely different mechanics between a MMO & a FPS though.

I feel like cry engine is probably a better engine if you got a lot of experience so I don't blame FSE for picking an easy to use & optimize engine for their first game.. I also highly doubt Wotr will get 500 player battles though but we shall see.

I think both games will be good in their own way.
Well, not meant to be taken in an offensive way but the War of Rights team don't exactly have too much experience either outside of Python and whatever code Total War uses. Besides, Unity is not babby's first engine like some people seem to think it is, like CryEngine, it is highly versatile capable of being used to design anything from mobile games to Battle Cry of Freedom (which is arguably the most ambitious Unity game yet). Also, you are assuming Battle Cry of Freedom WILL actually manage to get it's 500 player goal, but do remember neither of these games have even actually reached alpha yet, so nothing is set in stone. Just look at NW, 250 player count was attempted and promised from the very beginning to way after release, but ultimately just could not be done. Shit happens, 500 players is just Battle Cry of Freedom's goal, but until they actually reach that count, in a stable, playable state, Battle Cry of Freedom's actual player cap is just as mysterious as War of Right's.

Devs and friends?

friends? the devs have friends?  ???

Spoiler
jk pls dont hurtz moi.
[close]
I don't think so, I wasn't invited to the party ):
[close]

That said, this is a Battle Cry of Freedom thread, not a War of Right's thread, and even though they are pals and whatnot and probably don't mind the comparisons, I think we should probably get back onto the discussion of Battle Cry of Freedom :p