Author Topic: Any Good Historical Movie(s) set between 1450-1812?  (Read 5205 times)

Offline Jishnu

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • All Praise Lord GabeN!!!
  • Nick: Lord Commander Jish
  • Side: Union
Any Good Historical Movie(s) set between 1450-1812?
« on: October 11, 2013, 06:41:42 am »
Does anyone here know of a good movie that takes is set between 1450 and 1812?

I am taking a class called Early Modern Europe and our teacher wants us to pick a book/movie that is relevant to this time period.

I am going to pick a movie because I do not have time to read a book since I am in the process of reading 6 books for one of my other classes.

I would prefer a movie that is related to military in some why.. basically I don't want a chick flick about some guy courting a young woman.

The movie doesn't have to be completely historical... as long as it has a factual setting, there can be fictional characters that make a story... <- I suppose you can equate that to the movie Titanic where it is a historical event but the story follows some made up people.

EDIT: The paper is also supposed to be around 7-8 pages long.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 06:58:17 pm by Jishnu »

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Any Good Historical Movie(s) set between 1450-1812?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 07:33:21 am »
There is a movie, quite famous, called Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, they travel to multiple time periods and get all this stuff. The movie is aimed at the comedy series but it does have some histroical stuff in it, such as the French Invasion of Austria, that little scene, almost everythinng in it, from the tents to the uniforms are historically accurate.

Offline Jishnu

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 07:38:33 am »
There is a movie, quite famous, called Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, they travel to multiple time periods and get all this stuff. The movie is aimed at the comedy series but it does have some histroical stuff in it, such as the French Invasion of Austria, that little scene, almost everythinng in it, from the tents to the uniforms are historically accurate.

I do know the movie and it is quite good, but I don't think it will give me enough information to write a 7-8 page paper on just from that little scene. :P

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 02:58:42 pm »
so the battle of waterloo is not allowed?

That sucks.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 06:33:24 pm »

That sucks.

Its very inaccurate anyway.

My suggestion: READ A BOOK

Offline Jishnu

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 06:57:54 pm »

That sucks.

Well the class ends in the year 1812 and then another class picks up right then. I'll be taking that next semester.

That sucks.

Its very inaccurate anyway.

My suggestion: READ A BOOK

I would love to read a book, and I know a book will be a much better source, but I am already in the process of reading 6 other books for a much larger paper... I just don't have the time to read through one

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 08:21:46 pm »
How about War and Peace? By Leo Tolstoy I believe. Big ass book and long ass movie. Should be enough for a essay.

Offline Jishnu

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 09:04:18 pm »
How about War and Peace? By Leo Tolstoy I believe. Big ass book and long ass movie. Should be enough for a essay.

Definitely worth checking out. It is right there on the tail end of the time frame so it probably would work.. My only fear is that it is too much of a Philosophical book that deviates too much from historical context. Tolstoy himself stated the following about War and Peace, “It is not a novel, still less an epic poem, still less a historical chronicle."

I've never really checked it out because of its length, but I'll look into it thanks.  :)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 11:02:58 pm »
IS Barry lyndon from that era?
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Jishnu

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 11:34:26 pm »
IS Barry lyndon from that era?

I've never heard of it, but I'm checking it out on the internet right now. It does fit in the time period though. Thanks  :)

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 02:37:32 am »
Not sure if you're looking for a movie such as "Master and Commander" (though the events here are arguably (very) loosely based on historical events).

Perhaps you could also try the film "Cromwell" (1970).

"A Man for All Seasons" (1966) could also be of use, as it is about the relationship between Henry VIII and Sir Thomas More.

Aside from those three, I'm having difficulty remembering many English-language ones (there are several French/German ones, if you can speak those languages).

It's important to realize that all of these possess some level of inaccuracy (as most historical films do).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 02:44:18 am by Allasaphore »

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 03:04:12 am »
Try to remember that Master and Commander, while not a bad movie by any means, gets very few details right.

Offline Jishnu

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 06:15:30 am »
I think I might talk to my professor on monday about choosing a film... since yeah there are many inaccuracies in historical movies.

Sadly I am only fluent in english and know a bit of spanish... Subtitles might work though!

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 01:35:54 am »
Already addressed that, Docm.

If you're fluent in Spanish, you might be able to try "Alatriste" (about the Battle of Rocroi (1643)). It also has some historical inaccuracies (the Spanish unit is slaughtered instead of leaving the field).

Something to remember about many historical films (such as Alatriste and Master and Commander) is that they tend to be fictional personal stories set in periods with varying levels of historical accuracy. Always be aware of the historical period before you watch the movies so you can snatch any/all inaccuracies.

Offline Blitz_craig

• First Lieutenant
  • Developer, War of 1812
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 08:25:33 pm »
I would choose the movie "The Last Valley". It takes place during the Thirty Years War which was fought primarily in Germany in the first half of the 17th century between the Catholic Holy Roman Emperor and rebellious protestant princes and their foreign allies . It will give you a good perspective on how armies were largely made up of mercenaries fighting for plunder and pay with nationalism and religious ideals taking a back seat. Also, you will get a good impression of the logistical limitations of the period which forced roaming armies to take from the local populations subjecting them to hardship and starvation. The population in Germany was reduced by about a third when the war finally ended and it took nearly a hundred years before it fully recovered.

You can watch the whole movie on Youtube in several parts.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=J6g9g1CRD1s[/youtube]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:03:11 pm by Blitz_craig »