Poll

Would the US have joined if Britain was Invaded?

Yes
10 (34.5%)
No
13 (44.8%)
Yes, they sent over more supplies etc
2 (6.9%)
No, because Germany would have invaded the US with their new ship "Britannica"
4 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: August 12, 2013, 01:12:01 am

Author Topic: A WW2 alternative Question.  (Read 8197 times)

Offline TWking

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
A WW2 alternative Question.
« on: August 08, 2013, 01:08:48 am »
This has been nagging me for a while. Would have America joined the war on the Allies side if Britain had been successfully invaded? And by that i mean the German army had gotten considerable gain in the south of the country. There is something that tells me yes, but that could be modern feelings mixed in.
I'll leave it to you to decide as I have come to no solid conclusion.

Spoiler

[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
Re: A WW2 alternative Question.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 01:16:59 am »
If the Germans had invaded, the UK would have surrendered and the world war would be over before Japan would even attack Pearl harbour.

That being said, the Germans never considered a sea-born invasion of British mainland. They lacked the equipment for that.

And now I'm going to leave this topic before people who actually know things about WWII arrive and bomb my statements into smithereens.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 01:20:41 am »
xD i wont even begin

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
  • Co-founder of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Pte_Hugh_MacKay
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 07:01:25 am »
If they only had a gain on the southern part of the british isles, maybe.
If the british isles was to be completely overrun in a very short time by the germans (which I think it would have been), the Americans would have had a very hard time invading across the Atlantic ocean, so my guess would have been no in that case.

That being said, the Germans never considered a sea-born invasion of British mainland. They lacked the equipment for that.
Well Operation Seelöwe wasn't that far away from being executed. Germans almost had the aerial control, only the decision to bomb cities instead of RAF and the industry corrupted that. The naval superiority is of course another talk, but with air-superiority, I'm sure the germans could hold the strait for some time to make an invasion.
If an invasion would have happened, I'm in no doubt that the british isles would have been steamrolled by the Nazis.
"The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 07:22:20 am »
Germans almost had the aerial control, only the decision to bomb cities instead of RAF and the industry corrupted that.

I think the fact that the Luftwaffe was constantly outmatched by the RAF and Commonwealth air-forces might played some role. That the Germans lost significantly more aircraft and suffered over 5 times the number of human casualties as the allies can't be solely attributed their decision to focus on terror bombings and attacks on industry. I seriously doubt the Germans could have done anything to gain air superiority.

I don't think any real historian believes that even with air superiority the Germans could have beaten the Royal Navy, and the invasion would have been impossible with the Royal Navy in the channel. Even discounting the Royal Navy, the Germans couldn't have possible launched an Overlord like naval invasion. It proved damned near impossible for the greatest naval powers in the world---Overlord just barely worked, and that's with the vastly superior logistics the allies had.

Several high-ranking German officers, including Field Marshal von Rundstedt, said that the invasion was never seriously thought possible and the preparations were mainly to scare the British into accepting peace terms.

Even if they could launch an invasion and keep it supplied, there's no guarantee they'd win. A look at the rest of the war will tell you that the Commonwealth usually beat the Germans in a stand up fight.

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19th_Fus_Prince_Eugen
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 09:04:21 am »
Apparently they won't. US politics was greatly influenced by the protectionists. But this is like a time spiral, if they wont join war in Britain, they would have 100% war with Japan (Japanese had the great plans for Asia, and the American-British interestest always got crossed with Japanese) and all will take from the beggining. If Hitler invaded and captured Britian he'll also 100% attack Soviet Union. But the war on East wouldnt be so unexpectable for USSR, they must already see the escalation of agression, and split that pact and attack first (for that USSR had all possibilities).

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 09:25:50 am »
If the uk was invaded we would have entered. FDR wanted to get the US into the war and it would have been good enough of a cause to do so. Alternative histories are to weird for e to debate over.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 10:41:32 am »
If the uk was invaded we would have entered. FDR wanted to get the US into the war and it would have been good enough of a cause to do so. Alternative histories are to weird for e to debate over.

That makes absolutely no sense.

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 02:30:36 pm »

That makes absolutely no sense.
I thought it was actually pretty easy to follow. Hes basically saying: UK invaded, Franklin Roosevelt (who wanted in) would use it as a reason to enter the war.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 02:31:57 pm »
So how would he enter a war when the British ARE invaded (AKA, losing hard) while he didn't enter the war while the British WEREN'T invaded.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 02:44:55 pm »
So how would he enter a war when the British ARE invaded (AKA, losing hard) while he didn't enter the war while the British WEREN'T invaded.

'Murica saves the day
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 02:49:46 pm »
I'm starting to believe that's the general spirit.

Time to wake up from your fantasies, 'Muricans. You didn't enter until after Pearl harbour and god knows how long it would have taken you to do so if you hadn't been attacked.

Still, I give a huge amount of credit what the Americans did during World war 2 (Patton <3), and it's doubtful if the Allies could have won without the USA (Not without a few million more casualties and several years), but you can't deny the fact they waited two years.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:52:25 pm by Duuring »

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 03:30:30 pm »
Read what you just said and reflect on it.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 03:33:56 pm »
What? You think it's far more liker the USA would have entered a war that was pretty much over? They had a hard time entering even when the war had reached a stalemate.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 03:34:09 pm »
Well just remember that America didn't really join the war, they were attacked by Japan and 5 days later the Germans declared war on America.

So your question is invalid in the first place.

Germany didn't have the equipment or a realistic chance to actually invade Britain. Their Aircraft casualties through '40-'41 were immense and the Luftwaffe started to lose the strenght to combat the RAF early on. Which is why Hitler persuded the more realistic goal of invading the USSR.

told that bih don't @ me