Author Topic: Anyone else feel WWI doesn't receive the attention it deserves?  (Read 15541 times)

Offline Schmidtche

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skirm without a home.
  • Side: Union
Re: Anyone else feel WWI doesn't receive the attention it deserves?
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2013, 08:22:41 pm »
Pfff. A war between states is not a war for freedom. A civil war is a war for freedom.

I think you might mean "revolution" in this case. A civil war can be between two warlords/kings/whatever fighting over who can oppress the people.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2013, 10:15:29 am »
To the guy who had the small gift of watching the '30s "All Quiet on the Western Front" it far outstrips the 70s one.

When I learned about WWI I learned about Germany's message to Mexico and the sinking of the Lusitania which brought us to war and our little contributions at Bellau Wood and such. Also talked about the machinegun, tank, airplane, and gas revolutionizing warfare and how it killed many people. Also went over Wilson's 14 points (pretty moot considering they weren't accepted) and just mentioned the Treaty of Versailles. Take your test. Fin.

Didn't go over how Germany said it was going to sink everything in British waters because of all of the snuck-in war materials and we pretty much brought it on ourselves. Didn't go over how our people really didn't want to go to war and "let the Europeans have their silly wars", but our president Wilson wanted in on the action desperately.

I pretty much made up 1/3 of the WWII learning material my class went over as a deal with my teacher to save my grade. (I was a lazy degenerate at the time)
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2013, 06:44:38 pm »
Pfff. A war between states is not a war for freedom. A civil war is a war for freedom.

I think you might mean "revolution" in this case. A civil war can be between two warlords/kings/whatever fighting over who can oppress the people.

Yeah, I guess I mean revolution. I meant something that starts and is lead by the people, not by some leader, or state.

Offline Humlenerd

• First Lieutenant
  • Why are you reading this and not my post?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: JeanBaptiste
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2013, 08:16:10 pm »

Yeah, I guess I mean revolution. I meant something that starts and is lead by the people, not by some leader, or state.
And what if it's a war between different ethnicities or a  majority with strong hatred against a minority?  :o
The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it. - Thucydides

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2013, 09:45:55 pm »

And what if it's a war between different ethnicities or a  majority with strong hatred against a minority?  :o

Slaughter?  or perhaps a purge.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:47:57 pm by Desert Thunda »

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2013, 12:04:02 am »
Spoiler

[close]

Genocide may be the term you're looking for there.

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19th_Fus_Prince_Eugen
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2013, 08:17:10 am »
Not the genocide, not the purge, only slaughter.
Using gas is about battlefield tactics, as long as this is a war. During Russian Civil War forces of entante invaded South and North of Russian Empire, they actively used gas, but they used it not only against Red Army but against civilians, here we can see purge. And genocide mostly is the trait of the WWII.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2013, 10:42:50 am »
Ehm, the Armenian genocide?

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19th_Fus_Prince_Eugen
« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2013, 11:03:10 am »
Ehm, the Armenian genocide?
What do you mean?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2013, 12:04:06 pm »
And genocide mostly is the trait of the WWII.

It isn't. That's what I mean.

Offline bdd458

• Second Lieutenant
  • I write words on the internet.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 8th_KF_Mks_Gen_Illuminati
« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2013, 06:12:11 am »
My teachers barely mentioned it, although I'm not surprised seeing as USA did little. We usually talk about American revolution, Texas/USA war with Mexico, and ACW. Very little WW1, WW2, and no Napoleonic Wars.

Nationalism all the way.

'Cos all that happened outside of the USA, just ain't important.
Seriously, this attitude is freaking annoying. "Oh, well because it happened outside of the US and they don't talk about it in a US history class it must not be important because it's not 'MERICA!!!!!".

In my AP US History Course we had to cover 300 years of history in about 8 months, with 4 classes a week, at about 50 minutes a class. That doesn't include test days, and days off. When the focus of the class is US History, do you REALLY expect to talk about every little thing that goes on in the world? No. It's impossible. We had to go indepth into a lot of this stuff, remembering a lot of laws, senators, representatives, factions, movements, etc...

To put it in perspective, we spent about 2 days on the US Civil War. (So more or less 100 minutes).  Same for WWI. Civil Rights was 2 days, Vietnam 1. Even then we had no time to go into battles and stuff because there was so much more we had to cover.

Glad though in my AP Euro class this year we're going to be spending a good chunk of time on WWI, and I actually asked my teacher today if we're going to be doing an "expert day" on WWI (It's where we get a topic and get to be experts on it, since my specialty is WWI, I had to ask. And we are! You can switch topics with other groups and such as well :P)

After that we watched this horrible 1979 version of "All quite on the western front". Thats all we did.
Do you have no appreciation of Richard Thomas! Shamefur Dispray. Though, I have a deep love of the orignal as well. But the book will forever be my favorite. Though, the 1979 TV Movie version follows the events as the book did them better. More flashback type things.

The American civil war is sometimes referred to as the War between the States...
Because the US is made up of States?

It's not really entertaining for some people to play a game where you sit in a trench for months waiting for the enemy to attack, while the enemy does the same thing, called a stalemate.
It's not really entertaining to play a game where you sit in a truck or boat, or whatever for a while than make camp.

Oh right, we skip to the action parts of the war. There was a lot to The First World War. The initial, grandiose Conventional phase, the Trench Era (new tactics such as raiding were developed here), and even mobility at the end.

Can't wait for The Trench: 1916, going to be a fantastic FPS.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 06:20:22 am by bdd458 »
The 8th is not dead! Proud Colonel of the WWI and Blood and Iron/Verdun regiment 84th Infantrie d'regiment [both are recruiting. Add calicoyoda on Steam if you want to join either]

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2013, 12:33:08 pm »
If people enjoy games which involve large charges and huge amounts of slaughter... Why hasn't there been a proper game about the 2nd Sino-Japanese war?

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Mathias

• Captain
  • 1st place 1v1 and a little more since I forgot
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2013, 11:44:47 pm »
If people enjoy games which involve large charges and huge amounts of slaughter... Why hasn't there been a proper game about the 2nd Sino-Japanese war?
IK it was a slaughtering war, but we Americanos no like that kind of Chinese vs Japanese war... Also I am asian of none of the listed nationalities ):