Author Topic: A rant about Americans that think they won everything - Written by yahoo answers  (Read 44421 times)

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skipper
  • Side: Neutral
I found this

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110317235113AALrae8

I didn't write it...

First off, let me just say that the United states of america played a vital role in the Allied military efforts of ww2. Many brave americans fought hand in hand with soldiers of my mother country, The United Kingdom of great britain. My gripe is not with the American soldiers, but with the media and film-makers that push a false version of history.

American citizens watching american movies such as Saving private ryan or TV shows such as Band of brothers would be justified in thinking that America won the war alone. They would be justified in thinking that europe was in trouble and that America came to save the day. That is the version of history that American movies portray and that is the version of history that many Americans believe.

A little knowledge fo history reveals a different story. The DDay landings were comprised of soldiers from the US, UK, Canada, Australia and New zealand. Over half of the soldiers were british.

Germany suffered more losses by far on its eastern front and if one military should be named as having won the WW2 alone it would surely have to be that of the Soviet Union.

In the American movie "Pearl harbour" an american pilot single Handel won the battle for britain..lol

So why do Americans not credit the soldiers of other countries? Why do they tend to over inflate their achievements? Many Americans don't realize that they officially lost the conflict in vietnam.

The US fought the war mainly with japan. Over 50% of the DDay landing troops were british and britain also managed to defend against invasion. We destroyed the luftwaffe and were certainly not on a back foot. Not considering that we also fought the war in Africa and managed to defeat german and italian forces there to.

The soviet Union destroyed many more german troops than all the rest of the allied forces combined.

Also another person in the comments stated that "We win everything alone, that is us, the USA"... Really? The rest of the world exited WW2 having been extremely decimated, whereas the US was untouched. It is because of this that the USA rose to the position of the only superpower left in the world today. However, japan is second despite having been destroyed in WW2 and china is overtaking you. London is now the worlds

And seeing as this is one of USA's few responses:
Spoiler
Vietnam - War of Independence in USA

Both had crucial turning points- Saratoga and Tet. Both Civil Wars. Guerilla style warfare. Both were fighting over government. Outside countries were not supportive of wars. Only 1 of the 2 sides had issued uniforms. Both used guns and gun powder. Both were fought over vast distances with long lines of communication. Both wars triggered animosity among the common people. The undecided were alienated and the strategies were analogous.
[close]

Just to clear some things up and to tell USA that they are not the centre of the world and they did not win WW2 alone. We appreciate your support however.[/spoiler]

I didn't write it...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:50:41 pm by [126th] Col.Skipper »
Pirate_Battle_1 Community Rep||||[Former]Groupfighting admin, Jail Break server admin||||88th, 126th, 33rd, 24th, 57th, 2ndCSG, 54th, 4th, 65th, 5Brg, 67th, 57e, 28th

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: Why do Americans think that they won WW2 alone?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 01:35:32 am »
Hardly any Americans think we won ww2 singlehandedly, so you're basing your counterargument off of arguments that never existed. However, you don't seem to be giving the US enough credit. If you think the war could have been won without the Americans, then you're just incorrect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Bulge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_invasion_of_Sicily
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_African_Campaign
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_theaters_of_operations_in_World_War_II

The US played a central role in literally every single one of the campaigns in western Europe. Allied high command was in part headed by Americans, and not any less than it was headed by the UK or France. The invasion of Normandy was masterminded by US, French, and British generals. While there were approximately 83,000 British troops at d-day to an American 73,000, Americans still played a very large role in the landings.

And actually, the US is the center of the world today, even though I dislike it and you probably do as well.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 01:37:25 am »
I think maybe people shouldn't make sweeping generalisations about entire countries based on little actual evidence. Can anyone cite a proper study that shows Americans do generally believe they won the war single-handedly?

Over 50% of the DDay landing troops were british

Bullshit. 62,000 out of 156,000 is not 50%. Canadians are not British and the Canadians did not fight as part of a British army during the Battle of Normandy

And actually, the US is the center of the world today, even though I dislike it and you probably do as well.

What the crap? try telling that to the 6 billion+ people that don't live in the US.

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 01:42:53 am »
Just to clear some things up and to tell USA that they are not the centre of the world and they did not win WW2 alone. We appreciate your support however.

Why do you hate freedom? Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party? Are you or is anyone in your family a Muslim?

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:55:13 am »
What the crap? try telling that to the 6 billion+ people that don't live in the US.

The US is the center of the military world, the political word, the economic world, the western cultural world, and at this point is basically the center of the anglosphere. Sorry UK, you no longer rule the waves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty left leaning and I dislike all this USA imperialism bullshit, but it's hard to deny facts.

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 01:56:21 am »
I Loled.
Every time I asked my grandfather (who served in the war) as a child "who won WW2?" He always answered "the Allies". Games like Call of Duty before all the modern warfare games always had American, British, Russian, even Canadians fighting the Germans. A lot of American movies focused on the American side to the war, because...we...are...Americas...(*gasp*)...

You bring up "Saving Private Ryan" and "Band of Brothers" which are about AMERICAN soldiers. Why the hell would they be showing Russians in the movie, or the British in North Africa?

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 01:57:15 am »
We dont! your just to racist against america that you think we do.

but im not going to to start a flame war
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 02:03:11 am »
The US is the center of the military world, the political word, the economic world, the western cultural world, and at this point is basically the center of the anglosphere. Sorry UK, you no longer rule the waves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty left leaning and I dislike all this USA imperialism bullshit, but it's hard to deny facts.

If only those were facts.

The US may have the most powerful military on earth, they may hold a lot of sway politically and American culture is pretty widely exported (though perhaps not nearly as much as a lot of people seem to think). None of this, however, equates to them being the centre of the world. Actually, I'm not even sure what that means. Do you mean they're the most important country or what?

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 02:05:47 am »
Just want to say, I wasn't born in the USA, but I have been here since I was very young, but I consider myself an American... With that aside, I'm growing really tired of all the US-hatred going on here. The only Americans that will say that "we" won the war single-handedly are the backwoods-toothless hicks that you find in the south and in mountain regions. Any American will say that it was a collaborated effort by the Allied forces to bring down the Axis. Now, not to toot the horn of the US of A, but if it wasn't for "us," Europe would be very different than it is today. Would there be a Fascist German Regime/Empire ruling over Europe? More than likely, no. But, you have to give credit where it is due. The French were almost entirely annihilated, and were forced into a surrender. Britain was bombed to shit, and could barely scrounge out enough men to take on the German War Machine of millions of soldiers, ready to die for their country...

You should thank the US for being there in the fight, giving the Allies some reassuring hope, and plenty of more men to fight the good fight. The blame for the US entering the war when it did is on the Japanese, it's an incident in history every educated person should know. I do personally feel that the US would have still entered the war, regardless of the Pearl Harbor attack. Obviously, the time that we entered was very early on, and enough to make a huge difference both in the European and the Pacific theater. If it was a year or two later, either WWII would have simply been longer, or Europe may have succumbed to Fascist Germany.

So, I personally suggest that this thread be closed, or heavily moderated... this is a thread that can easily turn into a flame fest and troll haven. Anything that's instantly attacking the US is not a good idea. Your title for this thread especially will attract the people we don't want here. Let's do our best to keep this civil, and have a clean discussion. Sound good?

Edit: I just want to add, the movies and series you see like Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, are the same types of things you see in British-made movies about the Napoleonic Wars (Specifically the Waterloo campaign), where it puts heavy emphasis on the British winning Waterloo, or a major battle. It's propaganda. Shit to raise the the spirits of the nation it's made for, and to make people believe the country they are in is the best. Don't give too much into movies and books like that. Such things have been made since ancient times (disregarding movies and miniseries of course).

Side story: My great-grandfather served in WWII as a German Fallschirmjaeger Officer. He served in the 5th Fallschirmjaeger corps. He met his death during a German counter-attack in France where a few battalions of Fallschirmjaegers attacked behind the Allied lines, as to where, I haven't a clue. His parachute was shot, and he plummeted to his death. The only thing I have remaining from him is his Bayonet, a medal, and a badge that he wore on his collar. My Grandfather (the son of the great-grandfather in question), burned everything else. He was ashamed of his father, and he's a disgrace on Germany, to be ashamed of such a great nation.

My great-Grandfather on my Mother's side also served in WWII in the Italian Wolf Infantry, he survived the war... His story, I know very little about.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:17:25 am by kpetschulat »

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 02:05:54 am »

The US may have the most powerful military on earth, they may hold a lot of sway politically and American culture is pretty widely exported (though perhaps not nearly as much as a lot of people seem to think). None of this, however, equates to them being the centre of the world. Actually, I'm not even sure what that means. Do you mean they're the most important country or what?

Yes, the most important country I suppose.

You should thank the US for being there in the fight, giving the Allies some reassuring hope, and plenty of more men to fight the good fight.

Thankfully the older generation in Europe still likes the United States and appreciates us for the efforts and sacrifices of US soldiers during ww2. Unfortunately the younger generation seems to have been swept up in an anti-US bandwagon of sorts. I guess it's cool to hate the US in Europe now.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:11:09 am by Nipplestockings »

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 02:11:34 am »
Again, try telling that to the 6 billion+ people that don't really care about the US or what the US does, and probably don't often think about the US.

Besides, how can one country be more important than another? I'm sure just about everyone on earth regards their own country as the most important, and with good reason.

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 02:13:01 am »

Yes, the most important country I suppose.
Israel is probably the most important as of now. I mean look at all the hate feelings toward it in the middle east, and how people in congress get bashed if they don't side with them.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 02:14:47 am »
Uh oh, the discussion has turned towards the middle-east. Get out while you can!

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 02:17:53 am »
Told to change this. So, uhm... Don't talk about the Middle-east which has nothing to do with this threads' purpose!!!???
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:20:27 am by kpetschulat »

Offline McEwan

• Brigadier General
  • "McEwok" "McScrubwin" "ManJewban" "McWeewan"
    • View Profile
    • Marins de la Garde Impériale on Enjin!
  • Nick: IXe[Marins]_McEwan
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 02:19:21 am »
Interesting, interesting....

Following...

Watch your posts please....

Carry on on-topic otherwise...

Kielbasa!