Author Topic: [November] Napoleonic Wars Gazette [4th out !]  (Read 9931 times)

Offline Ramirez57

• Second Lieutenant
  • Vive l'Empereur !
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ramirez
  • Side: Confederacy
[November] Napoleonic Wars Gazette [4th out !]
« on: July 08, 2013, 08:00:01 pm »
Hello, with the help of some players of Napoleonic Wars (they are listed in the credits), we decided to create a gazette with differents parts (News, Interviews of regiments/players, history...). We just finished the first edition and is now available by the following links. All comments are welcome, thanks.

1st Gazette : http://www.mediafire.com/download/3dcn8it96ft8alg/first-edition.pdf

2nd Gazette : http://www.mediafire.com/download/1u2fi29clm713fk/second-edition.pdf

3rd Gazette : http://www.mediafire.com/download/6kdure473rwx2vn/third-edition.pdf

4th Gazette : http://www.mediafire.com/download/t6756el6z02pte1/fourth-edition.pdf
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 08:52:28 pm by Ramirez57 »

Offline Malakith

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Napoleonic Wars Gazette
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 01:08:29 am »
My comments:

- The font suffers from horrible "ghosting" effects when viewed on a browser (didn't download to clarify with Adobe on desktop)
- A few typo's, have someone proof read?

Also where on earth did you get the information for what each regiment is up to...

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 01:26:02 am »
That really hurt my eyes to read to be honest, I'd use a broader font.

I think it should be shorter,say 2 sides. No offence but I don't think anyone really cares that much about Casey or the history of the 51st.

People will, I'm sure, happily read a short newsletter which broadly states the headlines and is to the point. But this is simply not right to attract the attention of most of the community. If you want to do interviews then launch occasional special editions like once a month.

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 01:28:17 am »
Nice read, keep this going  :D

And I dont mind the interviews, some of the history was.. meh.. but maybe for some new people in regiments it would be an interesting read

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 01:30:32 am »
I volunteer my services as a proofreader, when I'm not typing on my phone (how I usually browse the forums) I can do pretty well at being accurate in spelling and grammar.  :)
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline SpaceKiller

• Donator
  • slt fdp
    • View Profile
    • 14e Gaming
  • Nick: 14e_Adj_SpaceKiller
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:31:38 am »
Hum, I think you should download it. For me, after download, the font is good. No problem for reading.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 01:32:34 am »
 It's a great idea. The UCC have been planning something just like this, just like the Waterloo movie a regiment is producing at the moment.

I do have some concerns, though. This seems to advertise the status of major regiments that everyone already knows, the status of a regiment without explaining how it got to its glory days in NW, interviews with people (I like this part the most, unfortunately though, it holds only so much value to it. It comes from a long-term player, but the questions only bring up so much with not much value), and history of a real regiment (not one in NW which I'm sure would be a more interesting read, given that this is the NW community, after all) that everyone and anyone who would read that article could otherwise look up on Wikipedia.

I think the authors of this gazette focused too much on the things like appearance and layout (even though both could be improved), and not enough on material and focus on the question "what do people want to read about in a newsletter designed for the NW game/community?", which was clearly a tad avoided.

By no means should you stop, but I suggest putting more work into the next issue with things like content and focus on more broader topics by looking at the little things, instead of focusing on narrower topics by looking at the bigger things. (By things, I mean regiments.)

EDIT: Oh. Well... I guess this was just inevitable.
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:35:05 am by Sir Audiate »

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 01:40:47 am »
Something that might be cool to add is a 'sports column', where you list all the official private linebattles that happened since the last newsletter was released.
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline FAULTYscotsman

• Second Lieutenant
  • Jacobite by Name,
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FAULTYscotsman
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 01:50:42 am »
Awesome idea,

Good points
  • Good font and presentation.
  • Lots of Information.
  • Did not sidetrack.

Negative Points
  • Too long.
  • plenty of Typos

Suggestions
  • Could have a section covering the scores ect of the official LB's
  • Mod Information, E.g what mod is popular or what mod updates of the week.

Overall
  • Great Idea
  • Lots of potential
  • Looks brilliant
  • Just a few things need working on
[/list]
a port will save a mans life, a rifle will only keep it safe

Offline Enix

• First Lieutenant
  • Ordre 66
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 75e_Cpt_Lavoignet_Lucien
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 02:03:24 am »
Good job :) !
#TeamMacAaron
Proud Ex-Sergent/Captain of the 75e.
EnixBest1vs1LeaderFr

Offline Jorvasker

• Donator
  • 33rd_Fus_Jorvasker
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jorvasker
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 08:02:00 am »
Seems like a very nice idea, but sadly I can't open the file ;_;

Regiment History:
Filthy Casual Publorde from May 2011 - Mid July 2012 / Early Services from July - November 2012, including 33rd, 63e, 1stCI / 1stFKI - November 2012 - April 2013 / Break from April 2013 - July 2013, with a short return to 63e from June until July / 1stEPI - July 2013 - January 2016 (Retired from game)

Offline Ramirez57

• Second Lieutenant
  • Vive l'Empereur !
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ramirez
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 09:21:54 pm »
Hi

First of all thank to all of you in the name of the entire team for your support and your feedbacks.
For the main problems we have to solve :
- The typo : Well it was a first try, and we will try to improve this (less typo of course).
- Regiment Interview : We have decided to promote more small regiment, but sometimes we will have big regiment like in the last edition.
- History : This part will tend to improve. Anyway this part may not be suited for everyone and we are aware of that.
-  We will had a part with the results of the LBs like it was suggested in the comments.
-  Also we look forward to give you better content, and have feedbacks about it !

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:17:33 pm by Ramirez57 »

Offline Jay_One

• Donator
  • 84e Retired Prison Guard
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jay_One
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 12:08:11 am »
Awesome idea and for a first issue I think it's great. I'm sure it will get better with practice. ;)

Offline Cara

• French Language Moderator
  • Language Moderator
  • Former IVe_AdC
    • View Profile
    • TFD
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 12:41:05 am »
Design is nice  ;) But seriously explain your choice for the 65th and the "accuracy" of the community news...

Offline Flopz

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 14e_AdC_Flopz
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 12:41:29 am »
I don't belong to the team (but I'm in the same regiment). For the typo's and translation mistakes, please notice that they are French, and they are trying to make a gazette for the all community in English, because it is the main language on FSE, and a gazette for the French Community only would be less interesting.
So imagine you English making a gazette in French, German or other languages, it is not easy to make something perfect in a foreign language (even if it was our native language, perfection doesn't exist). They simply did their best, and I swear it will be better the next time with the help of perfect English speakers like Killington who offered his help. :)

14e Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne | Aide de Camp
French National Team of Infantry & French National Team of Cavalry
http://www.14e-regiment.com | https://www.youtube.com/user/Flopz78