Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 231530 times)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #1290 on: August 26, 2014, 10:26:08 pm »
Been thinking about getting into Medieval time reenacting.  Found a group in my state, that recreates 950 TO 1066 CE Britain.  Vikings, Anglo Saxon and Normans.   Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Prepare to become an IR habitué.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: August 26, 2014, 10:31:00 pm »
Been thinking about getting into Medieval time reenacting.  Found a group in my state, that recreates 950 TO 1066 CE Britain.  Vikings, Anglo Saxon and Normans.   Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

What state?

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #1292 on: August 26, 2014, 10:35:25 pm »
Illinois

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
« Reply #1293 on: August 26, 2014, 11:00:51 pm »

my period that i do :P

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
« Reply #1294 on: August 26, 2014, 11:27:35 pm »

A what?
It's amazing fun if you get into the right group. I was lucky to find one who focuses on tournaments rather than multi-group battles, and because we can get together to practice a lot with a pretty awesome training structure and fighting technique.

Personally I probably wouldn't do it if I was in a nationwide group that just practiced 15 minutes before battles.
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: August 26, 2014, 11:34:21 pm »
We will see, tons of them are just for "ren faire giggle n shit" or LARPS. But think i may found a decent one. 

http://www.micelfolcland.org/

Opinions?  I have seen several photos they have on the site. They dont look like bunch of LARPS or Ren faire fanasty. I'm no expert in this era but im pretty sure i can tell the difference between the real deal or ren faire booze fest.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 26, 2014, 11:39:05 pm »
That's cool. Illinois and actually pretty much the entire northern midwest is great for medieval stuff - it's pretty popular there from what I've seen. I've been to Wisconsin twice a year for almost my entire life and never have I encountered a reenactment or renaissance fair scene that was more alive and vibrant than there. Nice group of people out there.

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
« Reply #1297 on: August 26, 2014, 11:41:17 pm »
We will see, tons of them are just for "ren faire giggle n shit" or LARPS. But think i may found a decent one. 

http://www.micelfolcland.org/

Opinions?  I have seen several photos they have on the site. They dont look like bunch of LARPS or Ren faire fanasty. I'm no expert in this era but im pretty sure i can tell the difference between the real deal or ren faire booze fest.

contact their authenticity officer and ask how strict they are.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 26, 2014, 11:48:45 pm »
will do

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: August 27, 2014, 12:22:38 am »

A what?

A habitué loan word from French; posh for regular customer. But I am awesome, so I need awesome vocabulary.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
« Reply #1300 on: August 27, 2014, 12:31:41 am »
They don't look bad to me on first impressions. Their gloves/hand protection are a bit dubious, but I dunno much about what was used in the early period, and that's something barely any groups get right, my group still has a lot of armadillos kicking about, but most members now have a decent set of authentic looking mittens (with modern armour underneath the linen, because seriously, protect your hands.)

Their combat looks pretty standard, which is fine if it's not as big a thing as it is to me. At least most of those spears are angled downwards and there's no hug-of-death going on.

A habitué loan word from French; posh for regular customer. But I am awesome, so I need awesome vocabulary.

I got that bit. No idea what an IR is though.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 01:23:51 am by Ililsa »
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline Barnesy

• Donator
  • Heres to the bloody fighting 95th
    • View Profile
  • Nick: its_barnesy_bitches
"[15th] Colonel Cenkris: A lazy officer who didn`t contribute anything to the success of his detatchment or the regiment disposed of after displaying incredible disloyalty and attitute problems towards fellow officers"
Aww thanks Cenkris for those kind words
Ex Leader of the 15th Rifle Detachment

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 27, 2014, 01:48:38 am »
They don't look bad to me on first impressions. Their gloves/hand protection are a bit dubious, but I dunno much about what was used in the early period, and that's something barely any groups get right, my group still has a lot of armadillos kicking about, but most members now have a decent set of authentic looking mittens (with modern armour underneath the linen, because seriously, protect your hands.)

Their combat looks pretty standard, which is fine if it's not as big a thing as it is to me. At least most of those spears are angled downwards and there's no hug-of-death going on.

Yeah, that was my impression. I'm really only doing this because i dig the fashion and camping out oh they seems to build some hut as well. I dig that a lot.  This could be a fun gig to do with buddies. 

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
« Reply #1303 on: August 27, 2014, 04:27:33 am »
So, as some of you kinky chaps know, this past weekend I attended a huge DDay commemorative event in Ohio. It was fucking awesome. I got to build my own fortifications on the beach with the unit I went with and spent almost six hours doing that Friday in preparation for the beach invasion battle on Saturday. There were over 30,000 spectators at this event for the beach battle, and just shy of 1,300 reenactors altogether reenacting the beach battles of Omaha (Germans vs. Americans) and Gold and Sword (Germans vs. Canadians and various Commonwealth troops).

In the morning Saturday, as SS, I reenacted the Battle of La Fiére Bridge. The scenario was: Fallschirmjägers were patrolling and came under attack by American paratroopers. The Fjr's were forced to retreat, and the light mechanized element of the SS moved in to support the retreat and face the paratroopers head on. The battle was brutal with 80 SS, 25 Fjr, a Puma Scout Car and a couple MG-34 armed motorcycles versus a combined 101st/82nd Army Airborne element of 100 troops. The battle in total raged for an hour until it came to a draw when our Puma was shot by an airborne recoiless rifle.

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday had events at night for reenactors including a grew Biergarten party at a local bar, a huge pasta dinner and dance at the human resources center, and some great food at a local pizzeria/deli on Thursday. We were provided free meals throughout the day by the Großdeutschland Feldküchen/Gulashkanonen. We had ham, eggs, and kaiser rolls served to is all thre mornings for breakfast, and some hearty meals for lunch like brats, rolls, sauerkraut, gulash, and even pierogies.

This was my first public event, and it was so fucking awesome. I got to speak to American and German veterans from WWII who fought in normandy, and specifically sparked a great conversation with one of the Germans, Obergefreiter Willi Harsdrohm. He told me about the bombardment him and his battalion came under on Omaha (which is the beach battle I reenacted) and how his best friend - he said this while choking up and tearing - was blown to pieces by naval battery fire along with 10 other comrades on June 6th before the Americans landed on the beach.

If any of you guys can make it to Ohio next year for this event, GO GO GO!!! It is so fucking worth it, and it has free registration. There are many battles throughout the week with French Partisans and two big battles on Saturday (La Fiére and the beach battle scenarios).

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: August 27, 2014, 10:39:28 am »

I got that bit. No idea what an IR is though.

Fuck. I mean ER.
How the fuck have I been misspelling that?
Oh well, It was 0030 =P