Author Topic: Reenactment Discussion  (Read 309236 times)

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Reenactment Discussion
« Reply #540 on: April 28, 2013, 09:49:09 am »
I'm in the SCV and it's pretty good. A lot of memorial services and community projects such as putting in markers or fixing up cemeteries / putting in new headstones.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #541 on: April 28, 2013, 10:04:28 am »
Thats cool im joining the SUV
So, just out of curiosity; what did you're ancestor do?

I know I have a Confederate cavalryman as an ancestor, but I'm not sure about any Union (or other Confederate) soldiers in my history.

Oh he is a cool story. The breif version is he was born in Massachusetts and was working in New Hampshire when Sumter happened. 2 days after Sumter fell he enlisted for 90 days and served in Company H 1st New Hampshire. After this enlistment expired he enlisted as a Cpl in the 24th Massachusetts (New England Guards). in 1862 he server in North Carolina in 63 South Carolina 64 Florida and in 1865 his regiment garissened Richmond. During his stay he was offered to be the New commandant of Libby Prison after it was taken over by the Union. He served as wardan untill he was mustered out. During his career he rose from the rank of Private to Captain.

He moved out west on the 70th's and was blown to smithereens in a mining accident in California.

I own a couple letters from him. Apparently he had 2 other brothers who server. One server in the Navy while another was in another massachusets regiment. Apparently his brothers regiment got so chewed up it was mustered out. I dont know much about these 2 brothers for they were only mentioned in letters.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:07:04 am by Millander »
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #542 on: April 28, 2013, 11:02:36 am »
I'm in the SCV and it's pretty good. A lot of memorial services and community projects such as putting in markers or fixing up cemeteries / putting in new headstones.

So for someone who is not a US resident, I guess it would be pretty pointless.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 28, 2013, 11:10:42 am »
I believe both organizations require civil war heritage. However I believe both might have a "reservist" type thing for members without history.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 28, 2013, 11:15:27 am »
I am, in fact, a direct descendant of a Union veteran. A Medal of Honour winner, no less.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 28, 2013, 11:54:19 am »
I'm a direct descendant of a judge in the Dutch east-Indies.

Y'all got nuzting on meh!

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 28, 2013, 12:47:51 pm »
Reenactors ;)

« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 12:50:17 pm by zac »

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #547 on: April 28, 2013, 12:52:08 pm »
I don't know much about my ancestors military past other than some of them in WWI, I do know though that 2 of my great grandfathers (both called John) signed the Posse Comitatus act, here is a little history about that:
Under the Defence of the Realm Act , lists known as "Posse Comitatus" lists and "Levee en Masse" lists were made in 1798 and 1803/04 respectively. These Defence Lists, despite their name, were not lists of those intended for military service. Their intention was to organise reserves of men not already serving in a military capacity for the defence of Britain against a French invasion. They would have been needed to evacuate the civilian population, remove wildstock and crops from the path of the invaders, gather arms and equipment and deal with food supplies to the forces and civilian population.

So in 1798, my great grandfathers were a part of this initiative. Other than that I don't really know my family's 19th Century & 18th Century military lives. Admittedly though I know almost nothing about my mothers side of the family except some of them came to Britain from Germany in the 1860's before the unification.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 12:55:06 pm by Mr T »

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 28, 2013, 04:48:44 pm »
I am, in fact, a direct descendant of a Union veteran. A Medal of Honour winner, no less.

I read somewhere in the news recently saying that members in SUVCW get some government benefits stuff. 

EDIT: Never Mind: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/20/us-still-paying-for-costs-civil-war-analysis-finds/   

SUVCW and SCV does pretty much the same thing.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:07:37 pm by DeoVindice61 »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 28, 2013, 05:06:59 pm »
They get money for being related to a veteran?

That's easy money.

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
« Reply #550 on: April 28, 2013, 05:59:30 pm »
I don't know much about my ancestor, just that he got a little extra pay for bringing his own horse and that he survived the war as some sort of Sergeant.

This was his unit.
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #551 on: April 29, 2013, 12:09:54 am »
They get money for being related to a veteran?

That's easy money.

Not really. They're considered a non-profit organization, so the donation of money to the groups can get you a tax cut.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #552 on: April 29, 2013, 07:01:20 pm »
Found this pretty sweet video few weeks ago, wanted to share it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g5pNllQJLs[/youtube]

En avant!

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 01, 2013, 07:07:29 am »
Gents....more specifically, Napoleon Gents....I have a question for you guys.

Just as of now, I was watching Waterloo on youtube. I never use movies as my historical scource. However one scene made me raise a eyebrow and wondering if this true? I tried to look it up but I'm not that well aware of Napoleonic events. I assumed they were Old Guards because they looked like Grognards and the bearskin hat. Plus I've read somewhere a officer told a British officer that "Old guards dies but does not surrender" 

WaterlooWTFMoment
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-VceCMPXskk#t=423s[/youtube]

The Scene is at 6:37
[close]

So......did the Brits really had bunch of batteries and fired on them up close?

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 01, 2013, 07:22:25 am »
Of course not. The last square of the Old Guard was destroyed by German infantry supported by British cavalry.

It was also Cambronne that delivered Cambronne's word (Merde!), not Ney. Neither died at Waterloo.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:24:04 am by Docm30 »