Author Topic: Reenactment Discussion  (Read 304503 times)

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Reenactment Discussion
« Reply #3510 on: March 21, 2014, 05:04:47 am »
Someone could have the best drill, best combat impression, best mindset, but if they came to a WWII reenactment with a full East German kit, I personally would tell them to go somewhere else and do a cold war scenario.

The idea that you are "good enough" is a terrible one. It's that same kind of droll that poisons the mindset of our generation. Why go out and buy a pack with your hard earned money that you know your unit didn't carry and still show it off like you're hot shit? No, you've got an impression to fix up and no amount of "Yeah man, fuck those guys" is going to make your impression any more right. No matter how many fields you fight in, no matter how good at drill you are. There's an instrumental part you're missing.

You know what, the general public may have no fucking clue what century you popped out of. They may not even know you're french if you didn't wave that flag around. But don't you have the duty to everyone around you to look the part? You don't walk around with a mirror everywhere you go when you reenact. You do it for the people around you.

Keep your pack. But once you can afford the correct one, I highly recommend you seek it out and buy it or have it made. I certainly would.

EDIT: Got so caught up, I forgot what I came here for... pictures from Lugoff and Enfield!
Just before setting out into the field
[close]

Scanning the treeline for surviving GIs... not that they'd take their hit anyways...
[close]

In combat, so I didn't even know this was taken until my father showed it to me afterwards. The grenade is an airsoft one rigged, painted, and with a cheap stick glued on. It's worked out pretty nicely.
[close]

FIND THE 'DRIQUE
[close]

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Eatin' chow when Iwan got behind the bunkers. They were held off, however.
[close]

FIND THE 'DRIQUE NUMBA DOS
[close]

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 05:20:31 am by Landrik »
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: March 21, 2014, 05:15:31 am »
Amen Landrik, I wholeheartedly agree with you about that.

Offline Davout

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3512 on: March 21, 2014, 01:02:04 pm »
If we were made of money we would probably buy all of that stuff but we arent. All this "correct" stuff is considerably more expensive as there are only 2 people in the world who will supply it to the UK.

We see nothing wrong with our image as we have become the biggest French Unit in the UK. Why would people join a unit that looks crap? We dont look crap. The real 21e said we looked great.  Thats something no other units get.

Respecting the people who actually wore the uniforms has got nothing to do with it. We respect them in every way. Wearing a slightly incorrect uniform is not disrespectful at all. There is no disrespect ever from anyone in our unit. People who say we disrespect them can fuck right off.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #3513 on: March 21, 2014, 01:27:47 pm »
I'm just going to add to this conversation, guys. As a person who is new to reenacting, I am doing my absolute best to look as correct as possible (despite my weight) for my first event EVER next month. Yes, there will be some major discrepancies, but I'm taking the time to research and to learn about how the soldiers looked back in the day, how they wore their equipment, what they carried on them and in their breadbag, etc.

For example: I posted a picture of me in some of my gear in this thread a few pages back. My ammo pouches were dreadfully wrong, and guess what? Besides bitching about how incorrect it looked Davout, I fucking fixed it, and now I know how to properly put my ammo pouches on my belt.

It's not about being incorrect, it's about being incorrect and trying to correct your incorrectness. Shit, it may take me over a year to get to a point where I can say, "I look really damn good and that's because of all the people in this hobby that helped me and all the research I did." Just take it easy, Davout.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: March 21, 2014, 02:05:26 pm »
Just found out that 21e here in NA use the Bardin uniform in wrong time like Duuring said.  Forget me about joining.  Though i still have the other NW unit for me to join, 6e Legere here i come 2015.

Landrik those pictures, i cant find the master! Too many skinny skinheads!

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3515 on: March 21, 2014, 04:31:58 pm »
Thats something no other units get.

An officer of the (real) Cavarly honor-guard complimented us on our drill at our last event.

If we were made of money we would probably buy all of that stuff but we arent. All this "correct" stuff is considerably more expensive as there are only 2 people in the world who will supply it to the UK.

How? How is the 1810 uniform, or a modified 1805, any more expensive then an 1812 coat? I'm not sure about the shako plates. I believe the 1810 shako plate is the same design yet somewhat smaller then the 1812. The 1815 uniform is, as far as I'm aware, really just your current uniform with Royalist insignia and shako-plate.
The uniform combination you wear is at best applicable for mid 1813 (German campaign) to mid 1814 (France campaign).

Napoleonic re-enactment has a few disadvantages. The uniforms are expensive you really can't get the correct uniform for every period, I'll be the first to admit and defend that. My uniform, for example, is 1815. We portray the 6th Hussars at Waterloo. We do events that are 'based' on 1813-14 as well. You'll see units in 1806 uniforms, 1812 uniforms and 1815 uniforms all fighting together. Is it historical? Absolutely not. Can we do anything about it? Absolutely not. For me, it would mean getting a second expensive-as-fuck dolman and all new (black) leather. For some groups it would mean getting new guns, new shakos, or sometimes they won't technically even allowed on the field. If we'd force people to get all those uniforms...We'd just have no re-enactment. It's impossible.

Napoleonic re-enactment is different from ACW or WW2. It is the period where groups portray a certain unit in a certain period (Like us, 1815) and fight units who might be completely different period. There are some units that try to make up the difference. Like the 9e Chasseurs, they wear shakos for later period and bicornes for early, or here, the Dutch marines that have bought shakos to look more 1810 (to do 1813 period  :P). The problem is with people not know what period they re-enact exactly or start making incorrect combination. I have no problem with people carrying an Bardin uniform with Imperial insignia at Waterloo. I have problems with people saying it's historically correct - Mostly it's often the same people who point at more obvious incorret uniforms and say 'oh these faaaaaaarbs'. Research is also a bit harder. We don't have photographs. Eyewitness accounts mentioned little about uniform details. And so on. It's not impossible, just hard, and I've discovered that myself.

Napoleonic re-enactment is also a bit rotten at its core. Most groups started many years ago and at that time we knew very little about what was historical and what wasn't. Groups bought uniforms, groups got bigger, and then when they're told they are wrong, they either say 'well, sorry, that's a little bit expensive!' (which is absolutely true) or they go full defensive 'YOU ARE DISRESPECTING MAH RESEARCH AND MAH UNIT!'. Here there's a group who bought Charlevilles 15 years ago and only recently discovered that the unit they portray switched to Brown besses two months for Waterloo (which they portray). They decided not to, because it's expensive as hell, Dutch gun law is difficult (Stop laughing Munk) and people weren't willing to get rid of their buddies after 15 years. Is that a bad group? Hell no. They're awesome. They go the extra mile, standing guard, having pickets, and the shit. They've pushed trough some uniform changes (like a new forage cap and a different type of epaulet) after discovering that the uniform regulations were a bit misunderstood and not entirely pushed trough in 1815.

Here I agree with with Davout. In Napoleonic re-enactment, it's really the actions that show your seriousness and historical accuracy. It's also about being honest to yourself and visitors. If you are willing to tell yourself, other re-enactors, and visitors that the uniform you are wearing is actually not 100% correct for the battle because your unit portrays an earlier or later period, you have my respect.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 04:34:03 pm by Duuring »

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: March 21, 2014, 06:07:14 pm »
Landrick your as cute as fuck in those pictures.

Also downloaded about 6 Ken burns Documentaries for the drive to my event this weekend. Also got the buttons onto my new Sekela Frock and corps badge onto my Dirty Billy Forage cap. Got 40 Round in my cartridge box 60 caps in my cap pouch and have my knapsack packed with my full load. I may be a part of a maintream unit (which I love) but I still do stuff Authentically. Also going to start drumming at this event.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: March 21, 2014, 06:09:03 pm »
Bum, bum, badum dum dum. Bum, bum, badum dum dum.

If you don't get the reference, you're not drummer-worthy.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: March 21, 2014, 06:37:21 pm »
Man it sounds like a number of pieces. Kind of hard to get a beat simply from text. I would say British Grenadiers but knowing you it has to be a harder one. 
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: March 21, 2014, 06:45:54 pm »
Nah. It's the normal 'left. left. left-right left.' of the French drum advance. Watch Sharpe, you'll get it.  :P

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: March 21, 2014, 07:48:15 pm »
Actually thats the first thing that came to mind was french drums but I couldnt pinpoint a song.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: March 21, 2014, 08:46:02 pm »
Actually Someone in the rank spammed ton of puns and drummer trying to keep up with the "BA dumm tsss" duty

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: March 21, 2014, 10:37:11 pm »
Actually Someone in the rank spammed ton of puns and drummer trying to keep up with the "BA dumm tsss" duty

+1

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #3523 on: March 22, 2014, 12:28:55 am »
Cant bloody wait for more singing on the march, Allouette is the favourite with En passant par la lorraine. Bootiful wee video of 21e.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq3IwOHMMrk[/youtube]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: March 22, 2014, 12:54:32 am »
Wait, is that Kingdom Holland guy?  :P