Author Topic: Reenactment Videos  (Read 58228 times)

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
Re: Reenactment Videos
« Reply #435 on: May 16, 2017, 09:01:28 pm »
We should ban bleached cotton trousers. They are a pain to look at.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #436 on: May 16, 2017, 09:32:32 pm »
This ?

Nice channel you have

:D

Haha it might as well be!  :D Thanks man, still waiting on him to send me footage from last year's campaign season.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #437 on: May 16, 2017, 11:47:16 pm »
We should ban bleached cotton trousers. They are a pain to look at.

Never thought I'd say this but: they are just too white.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Cara

• French Language Moderator
  • Language Moderator
  • Former IVe_AdC
    • View Profile
    • TFD
« Reply #438 on: May 17, 2017, 10:55:10 am »
Yeah I agree... Mine is dirty (I never succeed to wash some of the marks from Waterloo 2015) and I love it that way. I laugh when some people with a perfect uniform are saying it's "Living History", no it's not, it's "Living like in Paris or the barracks"

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 18, 2017, 09:48:10 pm »
I wash mine after an event but that's about it, they're still quite rough afterwards anyway.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 19, 2017, 12:07:38 am »
Ai, but french trousers never were made out of cotton. They were made out of unbleached linen.

Offline Cara

• French Language Moderator
  • Language Moderator
  • Former IVe_AdC
    • View Profile
    • TFD
« Reply #441 on: May 19, 2017, 06:52:02 am »
Right, or even random linen for the "pantalon de route" which were often of various colors etc

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 19, 2017, 11:16:01 am »
Ai, but french trousers never were made out of cotton. They were made out of unbleached linen.

Ours are made of linen...

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 19, 2017, 01:12:56 pm »
Well the pantalon de route is a non regulation item, as such it can be any cloth and or colour :) Although cotton is still uncommon in europe at that time. For the Bardin pantalons, bardin basically decided to get rid of the woolen trousers and long gaiters, as he saw that none wore those. Instead he introduced the pantalon de route as a regulation item made out of unbleached linen.

Mr. T
I am not sure. Who told you that? Where do you get your trousers from? If they are, they clearly are bleached.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:25:35 pm by Olafson »

Offline Duke Of LongTree

• First Lieutenant
  • 1stRM/USMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 19, 2017, 04:41:15 pm »
At least u know what your regulation uniforms are :(

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 19, 2017, 07:04:04 pm »
Uniforms yes, equipment not really.

A lot of stuff is just noted down as "brush" or "kidney shaped cooking pot" and stuff like that.
There are no drawings or descriptions describing a whole bunch of items that every soldier would have carried. The best we can do is to assume that the items the french Army started using in the 1850s (When they first were described and/or photographed) and stopped using sometime around the 1920s up to the 1950s are the same they would have used during the Napoleonic period.

For cooking implements, there are 4-5 crude drawings of what the regulation issue equipment could have looked like, but they differ slighty from drawing to drawing and are not extremely detailed. (I guess no one but for the soldiers cared much about the cooking implements...)

General regulation Uniform is known, the devil is in details though. Did this regiment have this colour, did it have the uniform made out of this wool, or that wool, how did their epaulettes look like, did they have rombic shako plates or not, did they have round pompoms or disc shaped ones etc...

Offline Duke Of LongTree

• First Lieutenant
  • 1stRM/USMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 20, 2017, 03:41:08 pm »
mate we use a dutch oven

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 20, 2017, 04:21:59 pm »
Well the pantalon de route is a non regulation item, as such it can be any cloth and or colour :) Although cotton is still uncommon in Europe at that time. For the Bardin pantalons, bardin basically decided to get rid of the woolen trousers and long gaiters, as he saw that none wore those. Instead he introduced the pantalon de route as a regulation item made out of unbleached linen.

Mr. T
I am not sure. Who told you that? Where do you get your trousers from? If they are, they clearly are bleached.

I know what linen looks like, our pantalons are linen. We get them from our Caporal Fourrier who makes them. We do not bleach them I can assure you.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 20, 2017, 05:22:11 pm »
Your trouser looks like it might be of the correct material (still bleached though), the other ones do not.
They are very white. Proper unbleached linen is almost brown, depending on the type of linen and whether it has been washed before or not.

Spoiler
[close]

Look at these samples I have at home. 2,3,10,11 are partly bleached. That is why they are so white. Anything from 5-15 is strong enough to be used as trousers, gaiters or for other uses. Anything above that is to thin and will rip apart to quickly, or let to much air or dirt through. 9 and 15 are the same, except 15 has been washed in 90degree warm water.

The actual colour of the linen heavily depends on where you got it from, so the colour varies, but it is never very white. As a matter of fact, the wool on your gilet/habit should be whiter than your trousers. As you see, the whitest unbleached linen is still very brown.
The pattern that bardin trousers should have is the pattern you see on number 12. Ofc. there are still regimental differences, and I do not know about every regiment specifically, but in general this is how it is supposed to be.

About the cooking stuff:
For civil war, it is actually reasonable to use a dutch oven. Unless on campaign ofc, carrying it would be an absolute pain. What really bugs me everytime about the civil war, is that no one seems to carry any large cooking gear. I guess I got so used to carrying the pots and pans around in Napoleonic and WW1 reenacting, that I wish I could do the same in CW, while still being authentic. I hate to just have a cup and a canteen half to cook with.

Anyway, here are the pots I was talking about:
Spoiler

[close]
My idea with the canvas bucket is just an idea. As far as I know, it was never issued. However, the thing on the back of the soldier looks exactly like a water bucket would look like when folded up...
It could ofc, also just be a pot in its linen cover. 

The one below one we know was not used a lot. Soldiers threw it away, or it rusted away to quickly. Its sole purpose was to carry water.
It also was not issued after the Napoleonic wars, so we have more or less definite proof that it was not used.
Spoiler
[close]

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 05:24:16 pm by Olafson »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #449 on: May 20, 2017, 08:29:19 pm »
"This is bread".