Author Topic: Developer Blog 28 - Napoleonic Wars Patch 1.2  (Read 50562 times)

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Developer Blog 28 - Napoleonic Wars Patch 1.2
« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2018, 02:00:43 am »
Found a problem.

Not sure if this is a problem with my server or what, but on Commander battle, no matter how large I set the bot Squad Size, it automatically resets it to the default of 20. Happens with all factions. This happened with anyone else?
hmmm i am not having that issue from what i seen.  are you able to reproduce it?   
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #151 on: January 20, 2018, 02:12:20 am »
Found a problem.

Not sure if this is a problem with my server or what, but on Commander battle, no matter how large I set the bot Squad Size, it automatically resets it to the default of 20. Happens with all factions. This happened with anyone else?
hmmm i am not having that issue from what i seen.  are you able to reproduce it?   

Found a problem.

Same here
I mean, do I need to? :D

Yeah it happens everytime. Also I was running a groupfight tonight and had this pop up again:

Spoiler
[close]

That was when I check and uncheck "Competitive Score Mode" in an attempt to reset the map. This happened before and after a server restart. Only way to work around it was do click Start Map instead of unchecking, resetting then checking again.
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 20, 2018, 02:43:27 am »
Found a problem.

I mean, do I need to? :D

Yeah it happens everytime. Also I was running a groupfight tonight and had this pop up again:

Spoiler
[close]

That was when I check and uncheck "Competitive Score Mode" in an attempt to reset the map. This happened before and after a server restart. Only way to work around it was do click Start Map instead of unchecking, resetting then checking again.
for the bolded part -   Well, in order to find out what is wrong and needs fixed, i need to be able to recreate it to see exactly where things went wrong.   yes, some things are quick and easy to find and fix, other stuff is not.(especially those inconsistent bugs that dont happen 100% of the time)  Which is why the more info the better.   server settings, pop, # of admins, game mode, anything of note going on, etc,.   anything that may be of help.  The less time i have to spend hunting for how to do a bug and the more time fixing it the better.  that is why we ask for ways to replicate it.   
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

Offline SillyWilly

• Sergeant Major
  • 1v1 me na cav gf n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2018, 07:53:38 am »
There is a small typo in this update. The faction title "Rhinebund" should read as "Rhinebutt" i hope this gets fixed soon! It breaks my immersion...

Offline MaxLam

• Colonel
  • Founder of Minisiege, EU_Commander & Mininaval
    • View Profile
    • Napoleonic Wars Public
« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2018, 01:50:57 pm »
Time Restriction:
as for the time delay between planting stuff.  that will stay.  the time between planting stuff can be possibly adjusted.  anyways, i will point out, outside of planks, you can plant then build, which takes longer than the time to wait for you to be able to plant another con prop.
Why would I want to place-place instead of place-build?
I am trying to build a second layer of sandbags. It is lopsided/misplaced. I move slightly to try again (all happening in less than 1 second). Likewise if a chevaux, fence, etc is not placed well and I do not have the time to destroy that misplaced prop. The team and I are under fire, we need that cover ASAP.

The time restriction b/w placing props we can agree to disagree on. But in terms of balancing/play-testing it, I believe it would take a disproportionate amt of dev time to get right. It should left to the servers to set as an option on their menu. That option should be granular to 2 decimal points (ex: 2.52s) because its such a short time-frame.

I would like context in the form of a countdown timer visible to sapper on the time-delay. It will at least let sappers time when to expose ourselves to fire and place a prop. If Build(fail), wait(dodge bullets), Build is here to stay, we need a heads up.

For the error message, there are 3 cases I'd like to see covered: BLUE - Time delay, RED - Unable to place prop, BLUE - Time delay AND RED - Unable to place prop
Different colours are appreciated, so an instanteous glance will let us know. We don't have the luxury of slowly reading (every second counts). Colours I chose were arbitrary, but just to indicate how they should be colour-coded.

Sapper Props:
The new sapper props cause bigger problems than the ones they fix.

The small build hitbox impedes teamwork; making it harder for 2+ sappers to build the same object. Under enemy fire, you can realistically only build from one side, halving the "space" you can stand in to build.

One could argue the smaller hitbox means it's harder to destroy, but that's also a hindrance. Sappers make mistakes, and if we can, we will destroy/harvest BP from misplaced props. The small hitbox makes it difficult to hit, more likely resulting in damaging the preexisting defences. The same goes for large chevaux, to stack 2-3 at a gate (standard siege practice).

I had mentioned previously that the small hitbox forces sappers into a certain area, which is great for the opposing team. The point about the lack of visual context regarding the constructed prop's width and whether I have placed it properly still remain. The new props blend in too well to the point that distinguishing where it is placed and to build is difficult.
Spoiler
Hard to reach if team is huddled behind for cover, let alone work with another sapper to rush-build.
Hard to distinguish the second prop is, harder to fix mistakes and easier to accidentally hit sandbag

[close]
The new constructed sandbag prop is too tall. 2 stacked sandbags (standard fort construction) restricts line of sight. It is also uneven at the top, stacking on the two taller parts results in an even taller sandbag wall and a hole.
Spoiler
Line of Sight blocked (when built "properly")

[close]
Spoiler
Hole in sandbags, even taller and no Line of Sight
[close]
Therefore, it is difficult to layer sandbags. Unless placed just right, it is usually too tall, slanted badly, or has a hole in it. In battle, the team is huddled behind the sandbags, and most likely blocking that intended build spot in the centre. I'd go as far to say sandbags are as finicky to place as planks are.
Spoiler
Hard to place, not useful in a fort
[close]
At the present state, the new sapper props are user-hostile (however unintentional it may be). These seem like nitpicks, but small issues (these new props especially) build up into big issues for what is the bread and butter of sapping. I feel like I don't have control, and that I'm fighting the game every step of the way.

I've been trying to think of how to fix these new props, but restoring the hitbox also means having a consistent visible model and physical presence. The current props are unfixable without significant dev time and iteration through user playtesting. If the time restriction and plank changes stay to prevent sapper spam, restore the pre-patch props.

I really appreciate all that your team has done in supporting an "old" game, and that you have to balance.

I don't want to ask for hotfix #2 because the props haven't been properly fixed. To sum up: let the servers balance time restriction, add ingame indicators for that restriction, keep the plank fixes, and restore the pre-patch props.

Small hitboxes:
The reason for the small hitbox is that big hitboxes allowed players to build big stacks of props, creating ramps over walls in siege mode, which is the game mode in which sappers are the most useful. It seems that you don't play siege at all as you haven't noticed that this major problem was fixed. The fact that sappers have to hit a smaller area seems to be a very secondary problem in comparison. The rest is a matter of skill, it's really not hard to tell how the sandbags will be built.

I must also add that an unbuilt sandbag at 90% is now a viable defense, so it can server to add another layer of sandbags on top of others.

Having fixed the spamming and glitching issues, server owners can now safely increase the number of buildpoints.

Built timer:
If you have a problem with a 2 seconds timer then you were probably spamming build stuff. I don't see how this can be a problem in any way. Moreover, considering that most servers have a very low amount of buildpoints, you must have been stealing quite a lot of buildpoints.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 02:21:04 pm by MaxLam »

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #155 on: January 20, 2018, 07:10:36 pm »
Arty guards appear to have 30 polearms and 2 Ironflesh, as opposed to 130 polearms and the ironflesh of a standard ranker.

AeroNinja

« Reply #156 on: January 20, 2018, 07:35:41 pm »
Can we have the melee back from pre-patch? I mean everything that is added is nice just the melee didn't need any change.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #157 on: January 20, 2018, 07:53:11 pm »
We did not change anything but for the lenght of some weapons and the stats of some cavalry dudes.

Whatever you are noticing is either not there and you just imagine it, or it is something caused by Taleworlds latest .exe

Wursti

« Reply #158 on: January 20, 2018, 08:08:59 pm »
We did not change anything but for the lenght of some weapons and the stats of some cavalry dudes.

Whatever you are noticing is either not there and you just imagine it, or it is something caused by Taleworlds latest .exe

i think that its the new performance that makes the melee feel faster/slower (atleast for that part)

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #159 on: January 20, 2018, 08:42:29 pm »
I am not really sure how to test any of this to track down what it is (If it is anything)

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 20, 2018, 10:39:31 pm »
Arty guards appear to have 30 polearms and 2 Ironflesh, as opposed to 130 polearms and the ironflesh of a standard ranker.
they should have the same stats as regular arty rankerz.  It is the price they pay for spawning with a gun while still being able to use artillery.  Giving them line inf stats while being able to use the arty would be too strong.

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2018, 01:34:44 pm »
they should have the same stats as regular arty rankerz.  It is the price they pay for spawning with a gun while still being able to use artillery.  Giving them line inf stats while being able to use the arty would be too strong.

I suppose the stats make sense now, I wasn't aware they could actually operate artillery. Thanks for clearing that up!

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2018, 08:51:26 pm »
Nw getting an update? What lmao
Pointy stick champion

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General