Author Topic: Post your canteen  (Read 15137 times)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Post your canteen
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2016, 11:53:37 pm »
You really shouldn't put anything that has acid in a tin/lead canteen. It will make the lead poisoning even worse :P
Which means that you can not really put much in it.

Or decide against lead canteens...?
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2016, 12:37:12 am »
Finding someone who makes canteens out of actual tin is hard.
Most people end up with stainless steel canteens or enamel-bottles or modern day canteens they cover with cloth or leather. Which is obviously wrong. All of it. For the french, glass bottles are also hilariously overrepresented. And you also get a whole bunch of guys with those huge 2 liter steel canteens. No. Just no. They should hold a liter, possibly even less. They did not have those huge canteens.

If you cover your canteen with beeswax from inside and only drink out of the bottle every few weeks you are not going to die from it. If you are worried about this stuff, you should see our cooking gear. For example, we are using original WW1 french cooking gear. It is made out of lead and covered with tin, but half of the tin melted away. We were stupid once and deep fried in it, the fat caught fire and small parts of the tin cover melted away... But we ate from it anyway. Lel.

Also, you see the canteen behind mine? That is actually also mine. I bought 3 of these from a tinsmith. He made them out ot proper tin, so they are actually drinkable. But I am not using mine at the moment. The lead one is nicer, because its rusty from outside and it has a slightly nicer shape. 

The thing I hate about my canteens is that I decided to use cork stoppers for all of them. Wooden stoppers are accurate, but they are a fucking pain to get in and out. Once you have them in the canteen, they just get stuck and if you want to just quickly take a sip (and take off the stopper with one hand) when not standing at attention, you are doomed, you can not do it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:44:07 am by Olafson »

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2016, 05:40:18 am »
Or go fuck all with historical accuracy and put in a beverage of your choosing. The rest can't see it, anyways.

There was one time, I think at the 150th Resaca event, I walked past a period sutler that was serving birch beer and root beers. I just gave him my canteen and got it filled up with root beer. So that totally could happen back then too. 

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2016, 01:59:36 pm »
Probably did happen. I mean, drinking rum all day was common practice in the navy those days.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2016, 02:26:39 pm »
Probably did happen. I mean, drinking rum all day was common practice in the navy those days.

Perhaps because of a lack of fresh water? Handing out alcohol to soldiers seems like an excellent idea.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2016, 06:39:16 pm »
Not really. Rum was rationed, like most things. Water was quite easy to find for sea-sailing ships.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2016, 03:45:56 pm »
Not really. Rum was rationed, like most things. Water was quite easy to find for sea-sailing ships.

Quite easy??? You sure about that?

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2016, 03:49:35 pm »

Find me the closest 'easy to come by' water source in the middle of this:

Spoiler
[close]

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2016, 05:23:09 pm »
Unless you are on the Europe-America route (which isn't as long as people think, only 3-4 weeks of sailing), you wouldn't be sailing in the middle of the Atlantic. You'd be sailing always with the coast nearby where you could go find fresh water. It's not easy, but it's also not impossible.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 05:27:04 pm by joer5835 »
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2016, 05:52:44 pm »
Unless you are on the Europe-America route (which isn't as long as people think, only 3-4 weeks of sailing), you wouldn't be sailing in the middle of the Atlantic. You'd be sailing always with the coast nearby where you could go find fresh water. It's not easy, but it's also not impossible.

This. Ships stopped frequently in harbours where they could purchase fresh water, and it was easy to find wild creeks on the coast. It was rationed, of course, but lack of water was never the issue. Lack of vitamins is what got people down.

Offline Wolff

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2016, 08:35:44 pm »
Here is mine. Sadly my number - the wonderful 77 - is still missing

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2016, 08:41:26 pm »
Are you sure it was actually numbered to the soldier it was issued too?

Offline Wolff

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2016, 09:07:03 pm »
No I am not sure. i read about it somewhere and i can't give you any evidence but that's how my unit is doing it. I know your argument " no need to do it wrong if everybody else is doing it wrong" but I think in this case is no proof that the canteens weren't numbered. It even makes sence because other part of the equiptement were numbered too

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2016, 09:18:50 pm »
Meh, truly, I get where you're coming from, groups always put pressure on people to 'look the part'. I'm debating it more out of the perspective of a historian then a re-enactor.

Apparantly canteens were ordered by the regiments themselves so it's not impossible that they were painted with something. But to me, it's just something that everybody seems to take for granted far too fast.

Offline Wolff

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2016, 12:08:22 am »
I think you re completly right, duuring. Love you  :-*
Btw does anybody know a good source for good civilian waistcoats, preferably in germany? I don't want to buy one of my units uniformly white ones, wich were never part of the uniform