Author Topic: Units and weapons of the Anglo Zulu war mod.  (Read 89937 times)

Offline Ardagh

• Sergeant Major
  • 1BnYLR
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ardagh
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Units and weapons of the Anglo Zulu war mod.
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2013, 07:21:25 pm »
Did Boers also have uniforms and organized regiments?

Nope, civilian dress, random weapons, they formed commando groups based on where they were from.

Well, certain Boers had semi-uniformed groups, it's not fair to say that they ALL just wore whatever they could put on. But yes, there were few that had a strict "Dress-code" per se.
-Anglo-Zulu War Community Manager (Developer)
-VCW Community Manager + Head Researcher (Developer)

Offline Scrat555

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2013, 10:35:52 pm »

Nope, civilian dress, random weapons, they formed commando groups based on where they were from.

Can you make it so we have a choice (not random) of several different weapons they used like the:

Farquharson (sniper)
Spencer Carbine (magazine rifle)
Winchester Model 1876 (magazine rifle)
Westley Richards (basically a henry-martini, breech-loading single-shot)
Calisher-Terry (single-shot breech-loader)
Vetterli (Swiss bolt-action, common among Boers in the 1st Boer War, most advanced rifle of its time)
Snider (single-shot breech-loader)

That would be pretty cool.

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
  • Side: Union
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2013, 11:01:11 pm »

Can you make it so we have a choice (not random) of several different weapons they used like the:

Farquharson (sniper)
Spencer Carbine (magazine rifle)
Winchester Model 1876 (magazine rifle)
Westley Richards (basically a henry-martini, breech-loading single-shot)
Calisher-Terry (single-shot breech-loader)
Vetterli (Swiss bolt-action, common among Boers in the 1st Boer War, most advanced rifle of its time)
Snider (single-shot breech-loader)

That would be pretty cool.

That wouldn't really reflect the "militianess" of the boers and would be very historically incorrect. And people would abuse it by all taking repeaters or something

Offline Scrat555

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2013, 02:05:53 am »
What about a choice between two guns: the Faquharson (for accuracy and damage) and a very nerfed Vetterli (for speed and close-quarters, make it like the Winchester the cav gets).
Neither would be wholly better than the other that way, just suiting different play-styles. I personally would choose the Farquharson for sniping, but my friend could choose the Vetterli for close-quarters bang-bang.

What do you think of that idea? That way you can have both destinctive Boer guerilla types.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:20:24 am by Scrat555 »

Offline Scrat555

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2013, 01:21:33 am »
I just think this idea would be fun and balanced for gameplay, that's all.

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2013, 01:32:08 am »
What about a choice between two guns: the Faquharson (for accuracy and damage) and a very nerfed Vetterli (for speed and close-quarters, make it like the Winchester the cav gets).
Neither would be wholly better than the other that way, just suiting different play-styles. I personally would choose the Farquharson for sniping, but my friend could choose the Vetterli for close-quarters bang-bang.

What do you think of that idea? That way you can have both destinctive Boer guerilla types.

The only uniformity amongst the Boers was that they had none. The Boer unit has a very good range of weaponry suiting their style.

This is how is has been done and will not be changed, thanks for your concern.

Offline Scrat555

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2013, 01:42:45 am »

The only uniformity amongst the Boers was that they had none. The Boer unit has a very good range of weaponry suiting their style.

What are the weapons you gave them, just out of curiosity?

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2013, 01:48:39 am »
Among them are the Farquharson and Vetterli but I forget the rest, Willhelm will undoubtedly see this post and tell you of the rest.

Offline Scrat555

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2013, 01:52:51 am »
Among them are the Farquharson and Vetterli but I forget the rest, Willhelm will undoubtedly see this post and tell you of the rest.

Cool! Thanks for the info. I'll be looking forward to the next patch. It's a great mod you guys are making.

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2013, 02:46:42 am »

All the martini henry variants including the swinburne
farquharson
westley richards "monkey tail"
snider enfield
winchester
double barreled shotgun

James is mistaken, we decided against the vetterli on the grounds that 2 repeaters would be over powered. The weapons are random meaning you can't choose which you'll spawn with.

Offline Scrat555

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2013, 02:56:20 am »

farquharson
snider enfield
winchester
double barreled shotgun

James is mistaken, we decided against the vetterli on the grounds that 2 repeaters would be over powered. The weapons are random meaning you can't choose which you'll spawn with.

What about you lower the option count, but make it by choice, not random?
That way people who want accuracy but slowness can get that with the Farquharson, people who want up-close buckshot can get that with the shotgun, people who want firepower but inaccuracy can get that with the Winchester, and people who want intermediate fire-arms can get the Henry-Martini, Snider, Westley-Richards, etc.? None of those would be O.P., they would just suit different play styles.

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2013, 03:37:59 am »

farquharson
snider enfield
winchester
double barreled shotgun

What about you lower the option count, but make it by choice, not random?
That way people who want accuracy but slowness can get that with the Farquharson, people who want up-close buckshot can get that with the shotgun, people who want firepower but inaccuracy can get that with the Winchester, and people who want intermediate fire-arms can get the Henry-Martini, Snider, Westley-Richards, etc.? None of those would be O.P., they would just suit different play styles.

No, there would be 30 men with shot guns or repeaters and it would be OP, we're not nerfing the guns, they're not OP is they're not over used.

Offline Scrat555

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2013, 04:13:44 am »
Eh. I personally would choose the Westley-Richards or the Farquharson, but I get what you mean.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2013, 04:47:50 am »
So, on top of the Zulu's and British, Boer's are going to be their own faction as well?

Offline Hinkel

• Colonel
  • Confederate Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gen_Hinkel
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2013, 12:02:45 pm »
So, on top of the Zulu's and British, Boer's are going to be their own faction as well?

They will become a new class in the Zulu's faction