Author Topic: Hearthstone  (Read 55843 times)

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
  • Side: Union
Re: Hearthstone
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2015, 05:24:01 am »
It's kind of a pain if you don't play enough to earn the gold for new cards. Basically you'll be playing ranked constructed until you earn gold from quests (I only complete quests that give 60-100 gold, or a card pack). If you get good at arena, which is very different altogether now and is usually impossible to do well in unless you can get a good draft with Paladin, you can get way ahead and end up paying for the solo adventures (you get special cards for beating those) with gold alone.

Nowadays I basically log on to check my quests, get rid of any 40 gold ones, play until I can complete some, and make sure I have 1-2 slots open for more quests tomorrow. It's basically like dailies in WoW. Now and again I'll enter the arena but I just get absolutely fucking terrible luck in card drafts on a constant basis. I'm on a Paladin draft at the moment (first one in the past five or so) and the best two cards I have are Muster for Battle and Dr. Boom, who isn't even that great in arena anyway. Doing this I can get about 5-10 packs a week if I play consistently and get lucky with quest rewards. Every now and again, you get lucky in the pack openings, and get some amazing fucking shit.

There's basically two ways to play entering Hearthstone in its current state: play it with a casual mindset and just have fun enjoying the amazing shit that'll happen or put some money down like you would any other game (basically turning a free game into a $60 one) to get a head start into the competitive side, which can be equally if not way more bat shit great. Can't remember what it was, and it would probably make no sense anyway, but just today I had something incredible happened that got me a win. You can also just buy Naxxramas for $25 and be more or less set with the cards in that. The solo adventures are kind of designed to do that, only in Blackrock Mountain you basically get the only two cards of major significant value in the first fifth of the fucking thing.

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2015, 01:23:01 am »
I got it and beat the first part, I'm just playing around with the AI right now until I unlock all of the peeps, I don't plan to spend money on it though I'm probably going to try an play Paladin from now on, though a lot of others seem better than him.

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2015, 03:21:07 am »
Paladin is best arena, due to some serious balancing issues involving card rarity, which impacts the likeliness of a card being available during card draft. Basically, Paladin has a ton of cards that are super good and pretty easy to get, insuring you'll probably go into arena as Paladin with at least a few great cards.

As for constructed, what the sane players play, it really comes down to anything and personal choice is most often impacted at early by card availability. I remember I first played Shaman regularly, but when I got golden Tirion Fordring and some other neat shit I played Paladin just about exclusively for a long while.

I definitely became a better constructed player after buying Naxxramas though, which was about 2-3 days worth of some serious enjoyment, and I haven't even done all of the bonus stuff yet. The cards in that are just so good that after finishing that fun as hell adventure you instantly get back into multiplayer with way more options as far as deck creation.

Unrelated, I think I'm turning into the official FSE Hearthstone player, which is funny because I'm not even that great. I played with/against Orcaryo the other day, it would be cool to see more people from this community playing it.

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2015, 04:05:55 am »
Thanks for responding to my sentences in long paragraphs that are very informational, some of the lingo I don't really know but I'll learn

ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2015, 05:14:59 am »
Lel. No problem. Basically,

Constructed = Ranked and casual play, but mostly just ranked. Casual is usually where decks are tested and tried in. You'll also see a lot of beginners playing there. It's best to start playing Ranked as soon as possible, though, so you can at least get to rank 20. You can't go lower in the ladder once you reach 20, and you start at 25. Getting to rank 20 in a season gives you like a card back or something, and the highest rank you get in a season gives you better prizes. I think it's always golden cards, improved in rarity every 5 ranks, and additionally a little bit more dust every individual rank. Dust is what's used to craft cards.

Arena = Waaaay different and more complicated than constructed. You have to pay 150 gold (or like $1.50) to get in, but the first one is free so it's definitely worth doing for the free rewards you get just for losing participating. Basically, you get a choice of three random classes from the nine total, and from there you get to pick one card out of three of the same rarity (common, rare, epic, legendary), and you pick 30 in total. Obviously, the rarer cards are, the less likely you are to get to draft them. It gets really complicated because not only do you have to worry about the draft (you picking your cards), which includes balancing minions/spells based on your hero, making sure your mana curve is really flexible, and ensuring you'll have the best play available for every turn, but you also have to make sure your deck is more or less ready for the different levels of arena. There's a maximum of 12 wins in a single arena run, and it ends immediately after your third loss. Obviously, the rewards at 12 wins are higher than the rewards at say, 4. So you have to end up worrying about 1) getting a good hero for arena, 2) getting a good draft that doesn't fall short against the lower-leveled zoo decks (basically tons of minion spam) while managing to hold up later against the much better/luckier decks/players, and 3) making sure you're not wasting turns wherever possible by always playing something that gives you the advantage/board control/pressure on opponent.

It sounds way more complicated than it needs to be, and that's because it is, but it's not that tricky when you get into it. Some people just about exclusively play arena. After I think 4 wins, you have a 100% chance to get enough gold for another arena run, so people who go 12-wins several times in a few runs can easily afford more arena and more packs. If you want to get good cards and be a good player, go for arena, but make sure you know what you're doing beforehand. From experience, I can tell you, a bunch of 0-3's, 1-3's, 2-3's, and 3-3's are not worth the potential many packs that cost about the same when you so crucially need them for constructed.

Also: if you don't want to put any money in, I'd recommend dusting/disenchanting golden cards that are often viewed as unusable trash. You get more dust for disenchanting a golden card than its regular counterpart, but the amount to disenchant a golden card is always equal to the amount of dust it takes to craft the regular counterpart. Basically, you can't disenchant a golden card, craft its regular version, and then have more dust from before you started.

^This way you can bypass any shitty luck and get super important cards like Dr. Boom, Sylvanas Windrunner, and Alexstrasza. They're very good for most builds, particularly the first two, and open up a lot of doors.

Yep. Official FSE Hearthstone player.

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2015, 03:57:01 am »
Cool cool, got into it some more today with Paladin, obviously still a pretty big beginner but I'm enjoying the matches I played, around 4 casual matches, I feel like Warrior beats the shit out of me every time. xd

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2015, 04:39:32 am »
That's kinda interesting, actually. Warrior is often really difficult to play against a Paladin because of the Pally's ability to spawn a 1/1, basically no matter what, for 2 mana, and because of their synergy with Divine Shield cards and ability to zoo (spam minions) pretty well. Plus their weapons hold up against many Warrior decks, with shit like Truesilver Champion and Sword of Justive. There's a lot of figuring out the classes though, and the best players know how to take advantage of their opponent's classes/decks downsides, like being able to expect moves and plays, know when they're at an advantage or not, and all that good stuff. The best way to start is playing classes with the basic, default decks, until you can learn the ups and downs for each and get the cards necessary to form a pretty good and strong deck.

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2015, 01:31:04 am »
Gotchya, guess I'm just being a noob, but I made a better deck and it's basically just a standard lvl 10 Paladin deck, played my first game in ranked and won pretty handily against another Paladin and now it's my second time doing Arena, things are lookin' pretty good, fun ass game.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2015, 03:22:22 am »
Glad to hear it, we'll have to play some time. ;)

In other news I got a fucking spectator quest today. Someone heeeelp.

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2015, 03:27:53 am »
Glad to hear it, we'll have to play some time. ;)

In other news I got a fucking spectator quest today. Someone heeeelp.

ill spec ye

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2015, 03:38:22 pm »
Message battle.net tag m8.

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2015, 03:55:58 pm »
Message battle.net tag m8.

PM'd ye.

In other news I'm pretty close to Rank 20 and I'm doing quite well with this Paladin deck  :P

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2015, 04:51:45 pm »
I think I added you, hmu when you're about to play (win) a match. ;)

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2015, 05:00:08 pm »
Got it, I'm free pretty much all of today so message me whenever.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2015, 06:48:00 pm »
I've been playing face hunter today and it's crazy how many face hunters I've been put up against, and even crazier how they have just a liiittle bit more luck with card draw for the situations than me. It's like I'm playing fucking arena.