Author Topic: The Dragon's Cavalry Tournament | 5vs5 | 1stPlace : DCL Team 1  (Read 55222 times)

Offline tomascadarn

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The Dragon's Cavalry Tournament | 5vs5 | Week 3 announced !
« Reply #255 on: February 09, 2020, 01:24:15 pm »
What is especially fascinating is that no matter the tournament, it is always the same people who complain that the heavy cavalry is OP without having played it at a high level of competition.

I'll go point by point since you don't seem to have understood what seems to be obvious to the majority of players.

First of all, I'm not going to go back to comparing classes. Everyone has their qualities and faults. It is amusing to note that the most used class is the cuirassier class. Why is that? I have my answer, but I don't want to get into this endless debate.
Secondly, I ask you not to insult anyone. I respect your words, but insults on this thread will not be tolerated.

Let me be clear: the first team of the DCL is an elite team. It is made up of members who are veterans and have quite a track record. Each of its members is capable of leading their team to victory. To dare to say that it is because of their class is a real lack of respect! I would even like to add that most of the members of DCL team 1 are as good in cuirassier as they are in hussar. The proof? You can look at the hussars cup scores as well as the results of the different cavalry duels. Michnicki, Naz, Ghazi, me have been in the top players of their teams. Thorvic was in the French hussar team and was one of its best. Not to mention the fact, that every member of this team has beaten the best teams of hussars and cuirassiers at least once.

With a team like this, it's no wonder we won our first three games easily. Likewise, that the OPALs have a really excellent team.

Finally, I would conclude on this, the team we have formed is really a war machine. Whether you consider that the class we've chosen is just bad player behaviour. All of our players have unfairly heard that they are only good because they play a "cheaté" class when in truth they are just full of talent. That's always motivated us to kick ass and we'll continue to do that until the end of the competition!

Finally, in this debate, in order not to pollute the topicality of this thread, I would ask everyone to behave like gentlemen. If you have anything to say to me, please go by steam. Please do not post after this message in order to continue the competition in all serenity. Thank you.

I wonder Dragonking if I'm allowed to make that complaint. If you're dubious of my qualifications to do so, the order of wojslayers could always remind you ;)

srsly tho idc about the patch, the tiny map is a bit biased tho.
Tomas on his way to Fse!
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Octanidas

• First Lieutenant
  • new and interesting ways to play
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 8th_Huss_HGrd /// Nr4_OLt
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #256 on: February 09, 2020, 01:31:58 pm »
Can I just say that I’m really impressed with the cav community, 10x more mature than the inf community and a lot less tolerant of the cancerous players :)

Offline DragonKing

• Major
  • God save the DCL
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [DCL]Cpt_DragonKing
« Reply #257 on: February 09, 2020, 01:48:21 pm »
Spoiler
What is especially fascinating is that no matter the tournament, it is always the same people who complain that the heavy cavalry is OP without having played it at a high level of competition.

I'll go point by point since you don't seem to have understood what seems to be obvious to the majority of players.

First of all, I'm not going to go back to comparing classes. Everyone has their qualities and faults. It is amusing to note that the most used class is the cuirassier class. Why is that? I have my answer, but I don't want to get into this endless debate.
Secondly, I ask you not to insult anyone. I respect your words, but insults on this thread will not be tolerated.

Let me be clear: the first team of the DCL is an elite team. It is made up of members who are veterans and have quite a track record. Each of its members is capable of leading their team to victory. To dare to say that it is because of their class is a real lack of respect! I would even like to add that most of the members of DCL team 1 are as good in cuirassier as they are in hussar. The proof? You can look at the hussars cup scores as well as the results of the different cavalry duels. Michnicki, Naz, Ghazi, me have been in the top players of their teams. Thorvic was in the French hussar team and was one of its best. Not to mention the fact, that every member of this team has beaten the best teams of hussars and cuirassiers at least once.

With a team like this, it's no wonder we won our first three games easily. Likewise, that the OPALs have a really excellent team.

Finally, I would conclude on this, the team we have formed is really a war machine. Whether you consider that the class we've chosen is just bad player behaviour. All of our players have unfairly heard that they are only good because they play a "cheaté" class when in truth they are just full of talent. That's always motivated us to kick ass and we'll continue to do that until the end of the competition!

Finally, in this debate, in order not to pollute the topicality of this thread, I would ask everyone to behave like gentlemen. If you have anything to say to me, please go by steam. Please do not post after this message in order to continue the competition in all serenity. Thank you.

I wonder Dragonking if I'm allowed to make that complaint. If you're dubious of my qualifications to do so, the order of wojslayers could always remind you ;)

srsly tho idc about the patch, the tiny map is a bit biased tho.
[close]

oooooh! Thomas, the Grand Master of the Order, I salute you!
Regarding the map, we'll have a new map by the final phase. Bigger and much better decorated!
Spoiler
[close]
Nearer, My God, to Thee

Offline DE14HANNES

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 4e_Huss_Cvl_DE14HANNES
« Reply #258 on: February 09, 2020, 02:00:28 pm »
god im so happy that the most german cav regs disbanded after the update, so that they dont have to handle this much longer. 

RIP Nr6, Nr4
[close]

Offline tomascadarn

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 09, 2020, 02:06:21 pm »
Based DK fixing the map :)
Tomas on his way to Fse!
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Thorvic

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Short essay on cavalry gameplay balance on Napoleonic Wars
« Reply #260 on: February 09, 2020, 02:15:24 pm »
And that's how the everlasting debate resumes all over again ^^

Many things are said on this topic, most of it is passionnate and inconsistent blabbering. I think the "skill" criteria can't give the full picture of the reality of the schism surrounding this topic, even though it plays a major role.  I don't see any toxicity involved in your post, Grozni, you are just showing your thoughts in a reasoned manner.

In my opinion, some of the points you raised are relevant, some others are less. Biased opinions without shade are worthless in such a debate, that's why I'll stick as close as possible to the facts.

The facts I will refer to will mainly be based on the 1.2 NW Patchnote topic :
I will consider that any thing that wasn't changed by this patch remained the same as it was back in 2012. There is a very detailed thread that got posted back in 2012, it is kind of a gem that I recommend anyone reading at least once to have a full picture of NW stats. https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=1108.0

And the Simps are a good team made mostly of players who are used to cav vs cav fights. They got their second kill in 6th round.
Simps have a nice roster indeed, with some NW veterans. But during this match, for some reasons, they underperformed, a lot. The video in itself tends to show it. We did several mistakes during the match, but they missed a large part of the opportunity they had. These things can happen to anyone you know, no matter your skill. I don't think it can be attributed to "Luck", criterias like concentration/team focus/momentum effect would be more appropriate.
One explanation could be their overall lack of experience fighting dedicated heavies, since we represent a minority in the cavalry community, which is less of an inconvenience on our side. All things considered, it's a bit like the syndrome of right-handers versus left-handers in racket sports, no need to go further to show my point.

These changes were lobbied for by certain heavy cav players (who are, by nature of their mentality, always on the lookout for any advantage they can grab) and approved and implemented by FSE, who either have no clue about how their own game works or just didn't give a damn.
Well, I would like you to show me evidences of this lobbying, because I don't remember such a thing back in time. Hussars quickly became the default class when it came to the competitive area, at a point that no other class could represent a challenge (the first CNC was quite of an exception). Lancers are quite an exception in the NW cavalry, therefore it's irrelevant to consider them here.
The "nature of their mentality" part is kinda funny. I mean, light cavalry is meant to be played on its strengths (speed, maneuver), but so does heavy cavalry with its own strengths (weapon reach, body armor, horse hp/armor).

_-reduction in light sabre range (supposedly to fix _ghost length_ issue, which was the worst way to go about it, and it didn't really fix it, nor did heavy swords receive same treatment)
Curved swords always were problematic on Mount&Blade. Since the hitbox doesn't match the texture, it made those swords having "ghost reaches". That's what makes the Native scimitar one of the best one-handed weapons. NW cavalry swords were quite a mess before 1.2, even more for "heavies" swords, whose had length differences depending on the nation you played as.

(not so interesting) Interlude - StoryTime : me bitching about a stupid referee
It was especially problematic when I was playing competitions with my dragoon regiment (8eCC). I remember one competitive match in particular (not the team we faced tho). Knockout match, France vs Prussia, random desert map, no shooting. The referee didn't want to change factions, he asked the other team to join France, and we did not have any other choice than playing the match with short swords on medium horses as Prussian dragoons. Playing with a 105 length sword (regular hussar saber) instead of a regular 114 length sword (French Dragoon's sword) made the game for them, GG WP, you're out.
[close]
Back then, light cavalry sword's ghost reach was real. The 1.2 fix doesn't solve the whole ghost reach problem (weird animations still happen from time to time), but it's definitely better as it is regarding this issue.
Hussar swords got standardized from 105 to 101, but so were heavy cavalry swords, whose went down from a maximum of 115 (French Cuirassiers' Swords) to a global 110.

Heavy cav:
-increase in horse maneuver (thereby taking away from hussars the only advantage they had over other classes, also this increases the speed of sword swing if used right),
-increase in hit points (the effect of this in team fights shouldn't need an explanation)

Quote from: Developer Blog 28, 1.2 Patch
Heavy and medium horses are slightly more maneuverable.
Let's make the statement that the aforementioned buff was a +2 maneuver. If it is so, it's kind of a huge buff to a horse, but considering medium/heavy horses overall weaknesses back in time, I think it was necessary. Though, hussars still have quite an edge on this department. An excellent hussar player is close to unbeatable against any heavy cavalry player on a 1v1 situation, while the antithesis isn't proven yet. The sword speed increase comes with it of course, but following your reasoning, on the "speed" criteria, heavy cavalry speed attack is no match against the hussar's potential speed attack (shorter but faster sword, more WPF in one-handed than heavy cavalry (160 for hussars, 140 for heavy cavalry, 2012 thread).
-> I remind you that WPF makes you swing faster with a weapon, which has an effect on the speed multiplicator linked with the attack (a.k.a. the notification you get on the Native singleplayer), which increases its global damages on target. In that order.

About the horse hit points, the 1.2 patch was a huge buff. In fact, it was so broken that FSE mitigated it straight away in the 1.2 hotfix, making it an "okay" buff. However, having a couple more hp on your horse doesn't necessarily immunize you from onehits anyway. The horse hit points criteria tends to be less important if you consider "horse size". Heavy horses (108) have a larger hitbox than lighter ones (104).
Consequently, what is the best trade off between tanking one or two more hits before being dismounted, or not having to tank hit at all thanks to smart maneuver ? I'm pretty sure you'll figure it out yourself. ^^

Heavy cavalry has some advantages that turn to be overpowered in some situations, those advantages getting greatly amplified by a strong teamplay and game vision. Their "body" armor (and not their hit points, as a common popular belief tends to claim...) makes them more likely to survive a deadly hit, which is a clear advantage over hussar, whose only ability to lower down received damages is to lower the attack's speed mult by any mean. This means also that hussar gameplay is more likely to be more punitive than heavy cavalry gameplay. Facts.
While a dismounted hussar is generally seen as a dead man on a competitive game, a dismounted heavy can be deadly in a good formation, which is another proof of their versatility.

Though, hussar's ability to maneuver/accelerate/decelerate makes them able to compete with heavy cavalry, and quite brilliantly. We all know here that speed and maneuver are the two key elements that makes a cavalryman a threat. We could agree on adding a third key element : weapon reach. Combine those three on a hussar, and he will become a killing machine. Combine those three on a full-hp-Cuirassier, he will become a panzer on a motorbike (sort of ^^).

When it comes to this tournament in itself, I have the feeling that the current map size (usual CavGF size) -even if it gives quite some space to hussars to maneuver, is ~~very slightly~~ in favor of heavy cavalry formations. It's not game-changing though, and Dragonking said this particular issue will be adressed.

My arguments won't probably change your opinion, and I don't intend to do it. Your truth on this topic is to believe that heavies are way too strong as it is, an opinion shared by most (if not all) light cavalry players. My truth is that hussars remain a solid threat on the cavalry spectrum. But in the end, everyone has its own truth, and we are both right. As soon as different types of cavalry are playable, cavalry gameplay can't be balanced to the perfection. To be more specific, I don't think NW cavalry players would have given their consent to play a Heavy-only Tournament. I have a new names in mind that would have been interested for sure, but when it comes to pride, hussars have nothing to envy to heavies. ^^

No matter what class we play, it turns out the one and only real strength of a group of players relies in the personal skill of its members and their collective ability to play as a group, using their strengths as much as they can while trying to compensate for their weaknesses. This rule applies to you, whether you're playing as Cuirassier or as hussar.
Why are some heavy teams stronger than their pairs against hussars ? Individual skill is important, but moreover, the true difference is based on the management of "game resources" (a.k.a. Heavy Cavalry Sword & Light Horse). Back in the 1erRC, we collectively were rather careless about those game aspects, and we couldn't resist to the best hussars regiments despite having a decent roster.
The Warband cavalry gameplay is all about making your opponent overcommit and do their mistake before yours. Some players tend to do less mistakes than the others, sort of.

A team of 5 excellent and fully-committed players is more likely to win against any other team whatever the nature of the class they play. Well, it doesn't quite apply to NW infantry (e.g: Infantry Guards vs Partisans), but I'm sure you get my point. :p
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 02:17:50 pm by Thorvic »

Offline Smylie

• Captain
  • Cool Kid
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Smylie
« Reply #261 on: February 09, 2020, 02:22:41 pm »
Imagine actually writing that much about a stupid topic on NW

Offline DragonKing

• Major
  • God save the DCL
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 09, 2020, 02:24:08 pm »
Imagine actually writing that much about a stupid topic on NW

The worst part is that it's been going on for a long time

Spoiler
As I keep hearing questions and speculations from various parties, maybe there's a need to clarify something.

14pk is not officially disbanded (as a matter of fact, it became such wide multi-game franchise that it can't be "disbanded" like a common regiment) but due to the negativity that arisen around us simultaneously to our success, it's not worthwhile for us to deal with your lot anymore.

And about the abovementioned negativity I can only say this - it's sad how some people who pretended to be friendly and supportive at the beginning, never having any trouble accepting 1v1 requests and playing with us (or even gladly borrowing our players for their official matches), turned hostile as soon as we got strong enough to beat them. From "it's great to have you around - heavy power is back!" to "you should be banned, cancerous heavies". And in some cases, it only took minutes after the CNWL match for the true colours to be seen, as a effect of uncontained rage. Clearly, the problem is not with us, but with people who can't deal with a lost game and need to attack people they lost to in every way they can think of.

Oddly enough, I've been in NW cavalry for ages but this whole concept of banning heavies is almost entirely new to me. I remember the very first season of CNWL, playing against the old 14pk as a member of 8e hussards. And I don't recall any of our officers bitching about the class differences. We just did our best. Just like we used to play competetive 1v1's against... yes, LANCERS. But that's maybe because the old "hussar gods" were far more skilled and versatile when compared to today's pretenders. And better people, too. And maybe because 8e's regimental motto was Quel que soit l'obstacle - No matter what are the obstacles while today, motto of some regiments and individuals is Ban the obstacles or we'll cry. This is what you're trying to do, the appearances aside - even if it means to strip the game to only one playable class (ridiculous), you'll just try to exclude the opponents you can't tackle. If you can still feel some unwarranted satisfaction, having done so - good for you.

The last CNC and recent CNWL completely re-defined the expression "bad loser" for me. But a bad loser loses twice. Once, in the match, second time - when he can't act with dignity afterwards. And in the end, he only hurts himself, because mistakes acknowledged are lessons learned. Ultimately, as long as there are no game altering cheats involved, your failure is your failure and you have only yourself to blame. Not monkeys with sticks. Not the OP heavies. Yourself and your own shortcomings. Many of you, however, are too petty and self-impressed to acknowledge this fact. That is why I enjoyed leading the regiment along Zahari - whenever one of ours tried to blame our failures on the opponent's luck/class/dubious playstyle, he was first to cut it short and say: no, if we lost, it's YOU/ME/US who fucked up. And here, gentlemen (if there are any around), is one of the true reasons we progressed and eventually got all of you under our heel.

But it's fine now. Those who been around, know I was hussar played to begin with. I can be perfectly happy never playing a cuirassier again, so I have no personal interest in defending the "heavy case" at this point. After we made hot mess out of all top hussar regiments (with the exception of 9e - RIP), 14pk can walk away, taking CNWL cup and a fairly won title of best cavalry regiment of 2018 along. I just feel sad for other cuirassiers, more dedicated to their class choice (stay stronk, 1erRC), for the prospects of NW cavalry as a whole and for having discovered some people to be complete wankers.

CHEERS

[close]

Well as I see that the fervor doesn't stop, I think I'll block the thread until the end of the afternoon, while the warm spirits calm down.
Nearer, My God, to Thee

Offline QuinnML

• Major
  • NEC TIMEAS SIS JUSTUS
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Quinn
  • Side: Union
« Reply #263 on: February 09, 2020, 02:40:03 pm »
SMH how many weeks in are we and already we have this shitshow?

We all have opinions, myself included, but can’t we have enough respect for Dragonkings tournament to just put this aside and either talk about it later or elsewhere?

How foolish we will look if we slate heavy cav as op and then hussars win the tournament anyway.

Offline Chri

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 2e_Huss_Cpt_Chri // Nr4-OLt aD
''Wärst du Kornett hättest du das Duell gewonnen'' -[Nr.101]Nicolas 2k17

Godemporer of the most professional Cav in ze World!!!111!!!11

Offline Magmum

• Private
    • View Profile
    • 2. Leib-Regiment
  • Nick: 2Lr_OLt_Magnum
« Reply #265 on: February 09, 2020, 08:03:37 pm »
Update:

2Lr - Leibhusaren
Captains :  Magnum;MiniiDNS
Class : Hussar
Roster : 1. MiniiDNS, 2. Monsterelch, 3. Smurf, 4. Strummex, 5. Sparta, 6. Titus, 7. Kommo, 8. Sirox

Offline Treiz35

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Treiz
« Reply #266 on: February 09, 2020, 08:05:22 pm »
Or just learn how to play against heavies and start playing good

Offline DragonKing

• Major
  • God save the DCL
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 09, 2020, 08:25:03 pm »
OPAL |7 - 0 |2lr

Spoiler
[close]
Nearer, My God, to Thee

Offline Husarion7k

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #268 on: February 09, 2020, 08:36:45 pm »
Gents vs 8th - 7:3 for 8th GG

Screen will be a bit later

Offline Shadey

• Statue King
  • Donator
  • Joli garçon
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 09, 2020, 09:00:38 pm »
Gimps | 7 - 6 | Animals

Spoiler
[close]

I wasn't there for the first couple of rounds so the recording will be missing a few. Shame there was no GG's from Animals after our comeback :(

GG