Author Topic: Belgian cavalry at Waterloo  (Read 1990 times)

Offline TomW

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
Belgian cavalry at Waterloo
« on: November 06, 2014, 04:07:55 pm »
I am trying to find out details of the actions of the 8th (Belgian) Hussars at Waterloo. Far from being cowards, as many British writers claim, they are described by some witnesses as behaving with "insane gallantry".

There was a long discussion of the role of Netherlands troops at Waterloo on this board about a year ago, but there was no specific mention of the Belgian regiments. KillerMongoose was particularly interested and said that he was thinking ofg writing a paper on the battle, but I don't think he ever did. I did message him, but I think he has left the board.

I've learned that gamers seem more concerned with the minutiae of Waterloo than most historians. Can you tell me what the 8th were doing?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Belgian cavalry at Waterloo
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 08:28:50 pm »
KillerMongoose is currently serving in the US Navy, so that's probably why he didn't reply.

The 8th Hussars fell under the light brigade under the command of Major-General Baron de Ghigny, together with the 4th (Dutch) light dragoons. They served in the eastern part of the battlefield as far as I know, and like most allied cavalry were present in the large cavalry-fights in the afternoon, but I'm afraid that I don't have any details. Ghigny's brigade is the one that has been written the least about of the three Dutch cavalry brigade.

Offline TomW

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 12:25:14 pm »
Thanks for this. I am having a lot of trouble finding out where Ghigny's brigade was, though I know he spent some time supporting Vandeleur and the 8th distinguished themselves - but some details of where would be nice. I have read that they were moved a lot from left to right, but nothing on the where and when.

I can find no mention of them at Quatre Bras, so I assume they were among the regiments that didn't get there in time to do anything, but I'm surprised as they were based reasonably nearby.

Any information gratefully received.

Offline Moldplayer

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Pfd_Lt_McMoldy
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 06:22:01 pm »
According to the website "Napoleon His Army and Enemies" this is what Ghigny had to say about the light brigades charge (which included the 8th Hussars)
'We caused the whole of the cavalry which was in front of us, composed of lancers [Colonel's Bro's 4th Lancers], to retire until it reached the flank of a very numerous battalion formed in square. ... Ghigny then supported Vandeleur in covering the remains of the Union Brigade as it scrambled back to safety." (Adkin - "The Waterloo Companion" p 102)
The website also describes that the 8th Hussars took 65% casulaties and (as you stated in your first post) fought with "insane gallantry".

They also wore these uniforms http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/detail_uniteBR.php?rubrique=U&unite=137&nation=3

I know it is not very much, but I hope it helps.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:25:03 pm by Moldplayer »
Gott damnit moldy, my history page is never safe - 19te_Aussie

Offline TomW

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 06:27:24 pm »
I got some of that but not the details of the positioning, so that's really helpful. I now have their position at the beginning of the battle too; at the rear, just to the east of the Brussels road, near Mont St Jean farm.

Thanks.

Anyone else with anything to add?