Author Topic: A Tuesday Linebattle [Open | Weekly Specialty Signups]  (Read 90959 times)

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Che Guevara's American Cousin
  • Donator
  • Ex-NANWL Moderator | #RemoveAussies
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gluk The Walrus
  • Side: Union
Re: A Tuesday Linebattle [Open | Weekly Specialty Signups]
« Reply #675 on: April 17, 2019, 08:28:06 pm »
Okay, to continue the salt fest from yesterday, I have been admining casual events since 2015, and never once have I heard of a rule where if you are line and join a skirms unit that you still play by line rules. No, you're no longer in a line, you are now a part of that skirms unit. If you find arty, you are now arty guard. That's how it's always been. If a skirm's unit dies and he joins a line, does that mean he can still play by skirm rules? You're literally telling people to FoL and it's retarded. Seriously think about the rule you're enforcing and make changes accordingly. You said that this only happens in EU, no the fuck it doesn't. I have literally never heard this before. It is so obvious to anybody whose played in this community for that long that I honestly cringe that you dip shits don't know this. This is basic event rules. If you want to be autistic and add it to your rules then by all means, but it currently isnt in your rules or at least not specified.

Offline Xethos

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oprichnik_Marshal_Xethos
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #676 on: April 18, 2019, 01:14:23 am »
Okay, to continue the salt fest from yesterday, I have been admining casual events since 2015, and never once have I heard of a rule where if you are line and join a skirms unit that you still play by line rules. No, you're no longer in a line, you are now a part of that skirms unit. If you find arty, you are now arty guard. That's how it's always been. If a skirm's unit dies and he joins a line, does that mean he can still play by skirm rules? You're literally telling people to FoL and it's retarded. Seriously think about the rule you're enforcing and make changes accordingly. You said that this only happens in EU, no the fuck it doesn't. I have literally never heard this before. It is so obvious to anybody whose played in this community for that long that I honestly cringe that you dip shits don't know this. This is basic event rules. If you want to be autistic and add it to your rules then by all means, but it currently isnt in your rules or at least not specified.

We did not include a handbook in the rules for what the last one or two players alive in a line are supposed to do, no. The applicable rules are under the line infantry section. Line infantry can only fire when they are in a line of three, and if they do not have a line of three, they have to either charge or join a friendly unit. They can join a skirmisher unit, but they do not turn into skirmishers. They are line infantry with skirmishers.

No, we are not "literally telling people to FoL." We are telling line infantry that they have to be in a line. Conceivably, a line infantry could join a skirm unit and line up with a couple of skirms. Conceivably, a line infantry could also not fire...at least until they found another line. An inventive sort of infantry might use his presence to keep skirms out of melee or protect them from cavalry.

When there is one skirmisher left, that skirmisher has to find a friendly unit. However, that skirmisher does not become line infantry, so that skirmisher could take his spacing.

I can't speak to your experiences, but it's pretty bold of you to call us dipshits for having had our own. These have been the rules here for years, and the rules are based largely off of other, successful events. Getty's event ran these rules. The oldest event of them all in NA, the old Hardcore linebattle, ran these rules (even went and asked Getty and Hando before posting if they remembered differently). Cringe if you must, but it's not something we invented specifically to make you mad.
04:25:13 - [Cup_of_Tea] Hey Xethos! I bet you're a gentleman of less than reputable quality!

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 18, 2019, 02:26:00 am »
Rules apply to units right? When your unit dies, they essentially fold into another unit, whichever unit is nearest. Your rules literally say "must join a friendly unit." That night one of you described viper as being a "one man line" which is not what "join" means. Join as in you are now a part of that unit, and therefore play by that unit's rules. Skirms are totally valid, as is arty guard. If you are line and join arty guard, you play by arty guard rules.

"When there is one skirmisher left, that skirmisher has to find a friendly unit. However, that skirmisher does not become line infantry, so that skirmisher could take his spacing." This is ridiculous... one guy just shooting on his own, lovely... I believe we call that Rambo.

I seriously think there is some new gen conspiracy going on here or something because I've never heard this before after 1500+ hours on this game. I've been here since 2012. I've been to a couple of getty's events and it never ran like that as I remember.

I don't know where ya'll came up with this hot mess but I suggest you change it. Literally, the point of being in a reg is to play a part of a unit, not as an individual. When a skirm joins a line, he isn't a skirm with line, he is LINE. When a line joined skirm, he isn't a line with skirm, he is SKIRM. When cav joins line, he is LINE. You play by the rules of the unit you are in, not the reg you came with.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 02:27:52 am by Gluk the Walrus »

Offline Nappy Surena

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 91st_Ens_Sura_Fraser
« Reply #678 on: April 18, 2019, 04:56:02 am »
Rules apply to units right? When your unit dies, they essentially fold into another unit, whichever unit is nearest. Your rules literally say "must join a friendly unit." That night one of you described viper as being a "one man line" which is not what "join" means. Join as in you are now a part of that unit, and therefore play by that unit's rules. Skirms are totally valid, as is arty guard. If you are line and join arty guard, you play by arty guard rules.

"When there is one skirmisher left, that skirmisher has to find a friendly unit. However, that skirmisher does not become line infantry, so that skirmisher could take his spacing." This is ridiculous... one guy just shooting on his own, lovely... I believe we call that Rambo.

I seriously think there is some new gen conspiracy going on here or something because I've never heard this before after 1500+ hours on this game. I've been here since 2012. I've been to a couple of getty's events and it never ran like that as I remember.

I don't know where ya'll came up with this hot mess but I suggest you change it. Literally, the point of being in a reg is to play a part of a unit, not as an individual. When a skirm joins a line, he isn't a skirm with line, he is LINE. When a line joined skirm, he isn't a line with skirm, he is SKIRM. When cav joins line, he is LINE. You play by the rules of the unit you are in, not the reg you came with.

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Moraine

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 20th Maine Artillery Company Command Officer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Lady Moraine
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #679 on: April 18, 2019, 06:09:29 am »
in KPR events and my Sunday event as I run it as a KPR event just without attached skirms.

If you are say a line infantry person and your unit dies and the cloest thing near you is a skirm unit you act as that skirm unit until you find a new line unit. And that's how we ran things in KPR events. that was in 2014.

Offline Xethos

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 18, 2019, 08:39:52 am »

Allowing either of those defeats the purpose of limiting skirmishers and artillery guard. Join, in this case, means, and has at this event always meant, move with the new unit instead of running around alone. Nicky can try to explain what he meant with that message if he chooses, but if you have that much experience running events, you know that purple text is a poor avenue for explaining rules to impassioned regiment leaders.

Come on, now. Skirmishers do not get unlimited spacing. They get five man spacing. You know that. Rambo tends to mean something else entirely.

On Getty's request
[close]

I don't know what to tell you. Hando went and asked Gunny, and Gunny said he remembered skirms always having to line up to shoot. I asked IB, and IB said line infantry had to form lines at the events he ran. These were not small, backwaters events, either. I suppose I could ask Les (if he doesn't see the thread) how his rules were, or ask somebody from the 63e how their rules were. So when you derisively ask where we came up with it . . . well, we came up with it from the best events that we went to (excepting Thundersnow's events, which didn't have skirms at all). I honestly don't remember going to an event that allowed infantry to turn into skirms.

in KPR events and my Sunday event as I run it as a KPR event just without attached skirms.

If you are say a line infantry person and your unit dies and the cloest thing near you is a skirm unit you act as that skirm unit until you find a new line unit. And that's how we ran things in KPR events. that was in 2014.

That may be, and I never went to KPR events. There were three or four mostly separate communities at that point; I know more about the IXe events, the PA events, and Thundersnow's from that time, but I know there were other groups running their own things with different rules. I guess this demonstrates that elements of those communities were totally unaware of the 400 or 600 of us going to other events thrice a week.
04:25:13 - [Cup_of_Tea] Hey Xethos! I bet you're a gentleman of less than reputable quality!

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 19, 2019, 01:54:01 am »
I believe that there is some serious berenstein/berenstain bears shit going on here. I learned what I knew about LBs from the KPR and thundersnow's event which did at one point have skirms. I also regularly attended EU events which is where I learned to run casual events. First events I admined were EU, can't remember who ran it exactly but still.

To have one skirm standing away from a line, 5 man spacing still, and firing just seems stupid to me. It seems like rambo.

I asked Les myself and he seemed confused about the rules. He said he thought it was Line as you suggest but he seemed unsure. I asked midnight and he said that he did it the way you guys suggest as well but he never made a big deal about it and enforced it selectively. This is the first time I've ever seen a slay for this and I can't remember ever reading purple chat about such things, probably because it either didn't effect me, so didn't care, or that it was such a rare occurrence in events apparently.

Maybe Nicky was right that it is an EU/NA thing with some NA following the EU interpretation. However in no event rules in either NA or EU have I seen this clarified so I'm honestly just baffled at how weird this situation is. The people you asked, I never attended Gunny's and I never attended the IB's, only Getty's but like I said, I don't remember it being that way. Nappy who has ran several casual events himself has said that he remembers things how I remembered it, granted he's in my reg so he may have bias in this but still. What's even weirder is that I ran events WITH people who disagree with me and never was this brought up.

I'd also like to apologize I guess for freaking out, this whole thing is very strange to me. I was also slightly memeing. Honestly, I see this as a testament to the retardation of our community. That we can go for this long with running different interpretations of the same rules more or less and never noticing it.

Update: Just asked shadow, he said that if you're line and join skirms, you act as skirms.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 02:43:01 am by Gluk the Walrus »

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
« Reply #682 on: April 19, 2019, 04:47:02 pm »
If you like the water being muddied, I did think it was 'become what you join' as well. Notwithstanding, I only really remember MM rules.
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #683 on: April 19, 2019, 10:35:33 pm »
What are line troops even doing joining a skirmish line? Go fall in with another line, where you can actually be useful and not hinder your light infantry with worrying what you're doing.

Offline Boose

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 20, 2019, 01:01:10 am »
Regiment Name: 16th Middlesex (London Irish) Rifle Volunteer Corps
Specialty Desired: Skirmishers
Date Applying For Specialty (MM/DD): 04/23

Offline Sariss

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gandalf
« Reply #685 on: April 20, 2019, 01:02:22 am »
Regiment Name: 2ndHan
Specialty Desired: Arty
Date Applying For Specialty (MM/DD): 4/23

Offline Shrooms

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Shrooms
« Reply #686 on: April 20, 2019, 01:05:01 am »
Regiment Name: 9e
Specialty Desired: Arty
Date Applying For Specialty (MM/DD): 4/23

Offline Unitater

• Second Lieutenant
  • Weeb Potato.
    • View Profile
    • 41st NY Vol FSE Page
  • Nick: 41stNY Col | discord.gg/41stny
« Reply #687 on: April 20, 2019, 01:26:51 am »
Regiment Name: 2eDLG
Expected Attendance:10-15
Spec: Cav
Date: 4/23
Click Signature to Join the 41st NY Discord

Offline Xethos

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 20, 2019, 02:43:23 am »
Regiment Name: Oprichnik
Specialty Desired: Cavalry
Date Applying For Specialty (MM/DD): 04/23

Offline Ginga Josh

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 21, 2019, 07:57:35 am »
hey could you guys stop arguing and stfu. thank you