Author Topic: Double post warnings?  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Marsh

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Double post warnings?
« on: February 22, 2013, 11:47:23 pm »
Today I got a watched status for spamming my own thread when all I did was welcome people to the 30th and congratulate promotions. I would like to ask FSE to remove this triple post spam warnings since it is ridiculous. Maybe alter it to if it's offensive or repate messsages then by all means give a warning, but simple welcomes? This needs changing chaps!

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Re: Double post warnings?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 11:57:41 pm »
They didn't warn you enough, useless threads...

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:15:45 am »
Double posts are fine under certain conditions. For example I believe that if one post is just a reply but then hours later you have a shit ton of images to post then a completely new post is fine. Personally I think welcoming recruits on the thread is utterly pointless and just seems to say "Hey look at me, I got a recruit."

But no-one cares, your members don't care, anyone who stumbles upon it doesn't care and I'd wager even the recruit doesn't give a flying fuck.

Offline Stunned Lime

• Major
  • Hella O's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 12:28:32 am »
Today I got a watched status for spamming my own thread when all I did was welcome people to the 30th and congratulate promotions. I would like to ask FSE to remove this triple post spam warnings since it is ridiculous. Maybe alter it to if it's offensive or repate messsages then by all means give a warning, but simple welcomes? This needs changing chaps!
You need banning chap. Also edit your posts and not double post I do it this way now .

EDIT: See No double posting

Offline McEwan

• Brigadier General
  • "McEwok" "McScrubwin" "ManJewban" "McWeewan"
    • View Profile
    • Marins de la Garde ImpĂ©riale on Enjin!
  • Nick: IXe[Marins]_McEwan
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 01:26:32 am »
You need banning chap. Also edit your posts and not double post I do it this way now .

EDIT: See No double posting
That's slightly rich, Lime, considering you're the king of double-posting on the 75th thread. ;)

And Marsh, make sure you read all the forum rules.
4. Spamming Making unnecessary posts with no valuable content will be regarded as breaking the forum rules and punished accordingly. Try to avoid double posting, whenever it is possible. If you want to add something to your post, edit it, do not make a new one. Also, do not post the same thing on several places of the forum without permission.

Kielbasa!

Offline Deofuta

• Captain
  • 1stEPI_Fw_Deofuta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 04:56:43 am »
You can edit posts easily, we ask that you do so.

Offline Jay_One

• Donator
  • 84e Retired Prison Guard
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jay_One
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 12:09:35 pm »
I'd like to ask what's the problem with multiple consecutive posts, Deofuta? I understand that many meaningless posts in a row is spam, but if you have something new and relevant to say, that is unrelated to your previous post, why should you edit an old post to include it?

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 12:36:22 pm »
I'd like to ask what's the problem with multiple consecutive posts, Deofuta? I understand that many meaningless posts in a row is spam, but if you have something new and relevant to say, that is unrelated to your previous post, why should you edit an old post to include it?
If you have something important or relevant to add, add it. But if you add useless shit as an pathetic exscuse to pump up the post count and bump the thread; that is where the line is drawn.

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 05:50:13 pm »
Keep it civil, guys.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1erMar/IrishNap
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 06:02:18 pm »
I'm actually on the FSE Teams Side here, why should you be posting repeatedly if all you can do is edit? I saw the posts that Edward was warned for and he knew he was doing it, which is the point. Your supposed to know not to do it...

On the other hand, maybe you shouldn't be watched, but warned. If you kept double posting, you would eventually be banned... That is a bit extreme for double posting!

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
  • Co-founder of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Pte_Hugh_MacKay
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 07:05:06 pm »
I guess nobody would get a warning if they posted many posts in a row about for examply Rome 2, every time with new or interesting info about it.
But when it comes to welcoming new guys to your regiment, 9/10 would say it's pure spam to bump your own thread. If you really want your thread bumped, get your members to do it. Bumping it yourself is just a bit pathetic :)

Edit: But I actually support a complete block of doubleposts. I'm on a few other forums where you simply cannot doublepost and it works perfectly fine. It's very rare that a doublepost is actually needed, and if you really need it, you can just get a good friend to make some pointless post in the thread ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:08:18 pm by Hugh MacKay »
"The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

Offline Jay_One

• Donator
  • 84e Retired Prison Guard
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jay_One
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 07:14:46 pm »
There's probably an SMF mod to merge double posts.

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1erMar/IrishNap
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 09:08:14 pm »
I guess nobody would get a warning if they posted many posts in a row about for examply Rome 2, every time with new or interesting info about it.
But when it comes to welcoming new guys to your regiment, 9/10 would say it's pure spam to bump your own thread. If you really want your thread bumped, get your members to do it. Bumping it yourself is just a bit pathetic :)

Edit: But I actually support a complete block of doubleposts. I'm on a few other forums where you simply cannot doublepost and it works perfectly fine. It's very rare that a doublepost is actually needed, and if you really need it, you can just get a good friend to make some pointless post in the thread ;)
+1

Offline Frederickson

• First Lieutenant
  • "La Garde meurt, mais ne se rend pas."
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 2de_Lt_Frederickson
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 04:54:16 am »
there is no FSE side and non FSE side. Almost everyone gets by on the forums without double. I am sure you can deal with it. You have an edit button for a reason.