Author Topic: A different take on the siege game-mode.  (Read 2235 times)

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
A different take on the siege game-mode.
« on: February 21, 2013, 06:13:19 pm »
What would you chaps say to a new take on the siege game mode. Instead of defending a fort or castle or some form of stronghold, how about midway between battle and siege. Like for example, defending a river crossing or a crossroads or simply a hill or a camp.

Obviously standard siege rules would not do, I'd go with a shorter time limit, bigger maps and I'm sure alot of testing would be necessary. But what would you think of what would essentially be a more scenario based battle gamemode?

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: A different take on the siege game-mode.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 06:20:15 pm »
It already works this way in a great many of battle maps present in the rotation on na1. There are several maps where there are obvious defenders and attackers, but it's not pronounced in the rules or the game mode.

Offline McEwan

• Brigadier General
  • "McEwok" "McScrubwin" "ManJewban" "McWeewan"
    • View Profile
    • Marins de la Garde Impériale on Enjin!
  • Nick: IXe[Marins]_McEwan
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 06:47:02 pm »
I just wrote a long explanation of my ideas expanding off yours, James, but smartphones are retarded so I lost it, and I'm not writing it again.

In summary, think of an event as a game board made of squares. Those squares represent maps (made in support of your siege ideas). You could technically start on any square, designate defending and attacking teams, and when one team wins, the map is changed to an adjacent square (in the logical direction of whoever won ofc). Game modes could be used freely (but logocally), and the whole event could be thought of a big sandbox.

Thats it in a nutshell, hope you can elaborate. Im done with typing on smartphones for a while.

Kielbasa!

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 06:52:51 pm »
Sounds like you want smaller siege maps, faster defender respawns and a more lively feel to it. It's possible through a good map and script change for spawning.

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 07:07:45 pm »
Sounds like you want smaller siege maps, faster defender respawns and a more lively feel to it. It's possible through a good map and script change for spawning.

Thats not even close to what I want. I want scenario based battles.

Not a bad idea there Mcewan, I like it :)

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 07:28:11 pm »
I just wrote a long explanation of my ideas expanding off yours, James, but smartphones are retarded so I lost it, and I'm not writing it again.

In summary, think of an event as a game board made of squares. Those squares represent maps (made in support of your siege ideas). You could technically start on any square, designate defending and attacking teams, and when one team wins, the map is changed to an adjacent square (in the logical direction of whoever won ofc). Game modes could be used freely (but logocally), and the whole event could be thought of a big sandbox.

Thats it in a nutshell, hope you can elaborate. Im done with typing on smartphones for a while.

So a little like Planetside 2, then?

Offline Jocam

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 10:03:12 pm »
Well, ask a proper map maker to help you, and, I suppose, you would have what you want in no time.

Spoiler
And it's a great way to advertise a 60th server, eh  ;)
[close]

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:03:47 pm »
I should have said, I mean primarily for private events.

Offline Jocam

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 10:08:20 pm »
Ask Dekkers, I'm sure he'd be willing to help ya

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 11:11:10 pm »
I had an idea a while ago that would go something like this, it would take a lot of moderation and some specific, probably system intensive, maps though.  Essentially, it goes like this.

Attackers Spawn - Empty terrain, woods, roads, etc. - Village/town - Some more terrain for distance - Earthworks, trenches, etc. - Fort.

The defenders move out of the fort and take up positions in the town, they're allowed to use sappers to build barricades. After this, the attackers are let loose. When a regiment is wiped out it must fall back to the next defence, in this case, the trenches, and when the attackers capture the town, they move on to take the next defences until they get to the fort, which they must capture to win, obviously.

Very much based around waves and different places to defend.
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 11:19:06 pm »
That would work well as a variant of conquest, I really like that idea :)

Offline Bonnyjoy

• Captain
  • Ex-Inmate of the 84e Prison
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Bonnyjoy
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 11:33:13 pm »
I had an idea a while ago that would go something like this, it would take a lot of moderation and some specific, probably system intensive, maps though.  Essentially, it goes like this.

Attackers Spawn - Empty terrain, woods, roads, etc. - Village/town - Some more terrain for distance - Earthworks, trenches, etc. - Fort.

The defenders move out of the fort and take up positions in the town, they're allowed to use sappers to build barricades. After this, the attackers are let loose. When a regiment is wiped out it must fall back to the next defence, in this case, the trenches, and when the attackers capture the town, they move on to take the next defences until they get to the fort, which they must capture to win, obviously.

Sounds like the rush System from battlefield to me. Should be worth a try unless you find a mapper and a few regiments to Test it out

Offline McEwan

• Brigadier General
  • "McEwok" "McScrubwin" "ManJewban" "McWeewan"
    • View Profile
    • Marins de la Garde Impériale on Enjin!
  • Nick: IXe[Marins]_McEwan
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 12:10:27 am »

This could also be applied to the "game-board" suggestion I brought up. Each section could be a different map, and the attacking team would have to take each defensive position to win that map. More work of course, but therefore more options.

Kielbasa!

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 12:15:22 am »

This could also be applied to the "game-board" suggestion I brought up. Each section could be a different map, and the attacking team would have to take each defensive position to win that map. More work of course, but therefore more options.

I think a game board system would be something that would have to be developed as an integral part of the game from the beginning, and wouldn't really work as an added game mode. I do like the rush type thing though.