16 (1.9%)
400 litres
48 (5.7%)
240.336.676,217765 litres
300 (35.5%)
10.180.000.000.000.000 litres
362 (42.8%)

Total Members Voted: 838

Author Topic: [NW][M]Iron Europe - WWI Mod (RELEASED) - Old Thread  (Read 983555 times)

MagicTeatowel

Re: [NW][M]Iron Europe - WWI Mod (Update #23 Christmas Update Pg235)
« Reply #3915 on: January 09, 2014, 05:33:18 pm »
How will regiments train then?

Offline Davout

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3916 on: January 09, 2014, 05:38:02 pm »

Offline Xanderman

• Donator
  • Victory through incompetence. Old 7th guards rifle
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Alexander
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3917 on: January 09, 2014, 05:40:58 pm »
Do people really want to disallow other servers that arent 'official'? This would only harm the game, give the mod a horrible reputation and encroach on personal freedoms. Its a game, dont act like power hungry onternet junkies and learn to love Freedom.
That only helps the community if there is already a large players base but as Willhelm said it actually harms the community because too people buy servers which gives splits up the public players into small groups. This means that many of the public players fail to get a good impression of the mod because of low players numbers, they'll leave pretty quickly and it will be impossible to get them back. If a mod fails to get a healthy public player base then it is doomed to die.

Offline Waterbeetle

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Volumed
« Reply #3918 on: January 09, 2014, 06:01:53 pm »
I don't want some 16 year old server admin to tell me, how I'm allowed to recruit or not. Enough bad experience from the official NW servers.

IE only regiments will not be able to start, so we stay with the big NW regiments nothing will change and the community will die because of that reason: Recruiting from NW and not playing IE.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #3919 on: January 09, 2014, 06:05:45 pm »
Wait.. you are actually concerned that one of the first World War One multiplayer games (Mod, but it's the same thing, really) will die.. because there are a bunch of servers? There are hundreds, possibly thousands of people who are eagerly waiting for this to be released, and who will play it more than they played NW itself. That won't change because the 333rd Regiment of Horsefeet put up a server.

On the opposite side of your concerns; what do you think new players' opinions of the mod will be when they can't get into a server, because the one or two official ones are completely full at peak hours, and there are no more to play on? Hell, how long do you expect the current players to wait for the servers at peak hours, before they simply give up?

MagicTeatowel

« Reply #3920 on: January 09, 2014, 06:13:28 pm »
This going to be so hard to manage.

If you go along the route of "a select amount of servers".

1. Guessing that the Iron Europe Team would be funding the servers and taking the cost of a 200 player server at $20-$25. IE would be paying for 8-12* servers. This would be in the region of $200-$250 a month. Hardly something that IE would be willing to pay as I don't believe they would get it in donations. No offence to your wealth IE, you may be very wealthy and willing to pay for all I know. I am just assuming.

2. Regiments would have to either train alongside each other or regiments would have to book time slots in which they could train. Firstly regiments enjoy the independence they get with their own server and may not want to train with other regiments. Secondly organising a schedule will be incredibly difficult to manage from a admin point of view. As at the beginning there will be so many regiments booking places. + These regiments will only be 3 man regs run by a 15 year old that will disband in 9 days meaning that those spaces on the schedule will have been wasted blocking a serious long term member of the community from getting a place, denying them from a successful start-up to their reg.

3. It makes it incredibly hard for people off the forum to create regiments as they can not access a place to train, or they could just train on another mod but its not the same thing if you get me.

*Imagine, 1 EU Battle, 1 NA Battle, 1 EU Siege, 1 or 2 EU Training Servers, 1 or 2 NA Training Servers, 2 NA Event Servers, 2 EU event Servers. + Possibly Team Deathmatch Servers, A siege for NA servers. It is worth point out that siege might not be played in IE, but who knows :D

As an alternative, you could just start off and say IE will only have 15 servers. Have 2 Official servers and the rest are regiment, joint regiment. Server files would be let out to regiments or groups of regiments that are deemed trustworthy or respectable. But that could lead to an outbreak of the server files being spread around the community. Iron Europe could similary just set up 20 servers and give bidding regiments the admin to the servers and the server becomes theirs, the regiments paying IE for them of course and then IE paying the server hosts.

^ However this has major downsides.

This is a double edged sword with negatives on both sides, but tbh we truly don't know what will happen with the "select amount of servers" as it has never been done before. I guess you could just YOLO.

Offline Rigadoon

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rigadoon
« Reply #3921 on: January 09, 2014, 06:35:05 pm »
I don't really get why we would ever come close to needing 8-12 servers. Does NW even have that many official servers? Two event severs for each region is completely unnecessary. We haven't touched siege yet so that won't be played at all unless if people want NW maps. Curiously enough, of 70 beta testers, not one has requested an NA server. On a shooter focused mod, 200 ping is hardly noticeable. That's not to say that melee is completely gone from the mod, it's still quite useful but most importantly, it's quick and brutal.

Offline BSM 'Shut up' Williams

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Jean Grande
« Reply #3922 on: January 09, 2014, 06:44:21 pm »
Will they ban you from playing if you get bad reports?

Dunno, depends on how bad it is really.

But my headteacher, who's also my English teacher, said it's focussed more on how to help with doing our GCSEs.

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Tavington

• First Lieutenant
  • 32nd Regiment
    • View Profile
    • 32nd Regiment
« Reply #3923 on: January 09, 2014, 06:48:20 pm »

But my headteacher, who's also my English teacher, said it's focussed more on how to help with doing our GCSEs.

Better start focusing then when you reach A levels at college.

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3924 on: January 09, 2014, 06:49:10 pm »
Guys while I agree not releasing server files but then again. If someone wants to host a server, why shoudn't he?

Offline BSM 'Shut up' Williams

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Jean Grande
« Reply #3925 on: January 09, 2014, 06:56:07 pm »

Better start focusing then when you reach A levels at college.

I could do.

By the way, what if you give the server files to trusted and big regiments with their trusted leaders?

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Jelly

• Colonel
  • Formerly of 1stKDG, 60th, 1erChas, K-KA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: January 09, 2014, 06:56:41 pm »
'Trusted leaders' might leak it.

Offline Museal

• Donator
  • 9e Col Museal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Museal
« Reply #3927 on: January 09, 2014, 06:57:00 pm »
I think melee will still be important also I think siege maps will be played as 1 side defends a trench line against hordes of players. To break off from the main topic (who would have guessed me asking a small question would have lead to almost 5 pages) but I think that we cannot figure out how to distribute servers we will simply have to learn by attempting and failing if needs be as I'm sure that even if we have a lot of servers there will be some dedicated regiments who shall pick the mod give it a dust and keep it going as I highly doubt it will die from a few mistake by having to many it to little servers so I think instead off pulling our hair out worrying about servers we just leave it and fix problems as we go along  ;D
(NW) 9e Col Museal + (IE) 2ndDLI Col Museal  + (BI) Nr2_GrenWut_Ob_Museal + (NaS)(Union Brigade) UB 4thMI MajGen Museal  + (1812) LVQ_Col_Museal+ (AZ) HMSBC_Museal +(BCOF) 4thMI Col Museal

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
« Reply #3928 on: January 09, 2014, 06:57:53 pm »
By the way, what if you give the server files to trusted and big regiments with their trusted leaders?
Like tavington and his 91st?   ;D

sorry couldn't resist

Offline Kamov

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Pte_Andrew_Rutherford
« Reply #3929 on: January 09, 2014, 07:10:56 pm »
You could just not have anything other than official servers for the first week of release, that lets people play it in jam packed servers and then after the initial first week make their own. The issue there is that you'd probably need 4-5 servers for the first week.