16 (1.9%)
400 litres
48 (5.7%)
240.336.676,217765 litres
300 (35.5%)
10.180.000.000.000.000 litres
362 (42.8%)

Total Members Voted: 838

Author Topic: [NW][M]Iron Europe - WWI Mod (RELEASED) - Old Thread  (Read 983163 times)

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: [NW][M]Iron Europe - WWI Mod (Update #20 Scopes, Grenades, In-game Screens)
« Reply #1785 on: September 12, 2013, 04:13:44 am »
FYI WWI: Source is getting a huge overhaul.Just because it mimicked realism didn't make it unplayable. It was the amount of asinine bugs the game has. I understand your point on the whole "Over the Top" thing, but that's what most of the player are waiting for. An arty barrage, a Whistle, a charge. Sounds quite fun to me.

Have you played on a trench event on NW? They were using cannons and inaccurate muskets and it was still pretty difficult to get across without being shot or hit by mortars, I admit yes it was fun to be in the adrenaline rush of being shot at but there was honestly no 'point' to the event, hence why they stopped hosting it, charging across to other trenches is all fine and dandy, but 'Battle' mode will basically have to be deleted from the whole game because I'm pretty sure if it were you charging my trench going 'Wooo! Realism yeaaah booi!" then I took over a Maxim MG and shot your entire torso to bits with bullets before you even took 3 steps out of your trench and that was you out for the entire round? Prettttyyy sure you wouldn't be going "Wooo yeah! Realism! I'm bleeding and dying slowly on the floor! Woo this is so awesome!". xD

Technically most battles would have to either be a Siege style, one team has lives and defends their trenches flag whilst the other waves constantly charge, or it'll just be a huge team deathmatch event with say, first to reach 100 kills. But that'd raise another problem as well, people will end up camping and sniping so events like that will drag on for 3-4 hours. It's all well and good doing realism but people don't have hours and hours to spare for one single event merely because some people 'wanted realism'. I'm not saying make it so you have to take 200 bullets before you die, I'm just saying one hit kills, rapid firing MG's and accurate rifles + we have sniper rifles now? How the hell are we supposed to even spawn without dying straight away xD The whole 'Halo' craze died away when people began spawn camping and sniping people constantly, so IE is gonna have to figure out a way to stop that other than 'We'll impose event rules' because not everyone follows the rules for roleplaying as demonstrated on PW. Alot of thought is going to have to go into either map design or weapon design, otherwise having a 'stormtrooper' class will be rendered moot if they can't even get out of their trench let alone charge. If you think about it, how many WWI games do you know of that are extremely popular compared to WWII games? WWI is hard to recreate because it literally was 'I'll charge, they won't expect it. Oh wait..." so recreating a fun game is difficult unless you move away from realism, for example The Great War mod for N:TW would work perfectly because you have 1000's of men and machine guns that aren't 100% accurate due to a good balancing system. But when it comes to player controlled combat, you can't have 1000's of players but you can nerf MG's so they're not devastating. Games like 'Battlefield 1918' had accurate firing MG's and rifles, thats the kind of thing you should play if you want to have realism but I can't guarantee they'll be 'fun' seeing as barely anyone plays BF 18 anymore, when I went on it a while back there was a server with about 3 people on. I don't want to see IE become a dead mod merely because a few people stamped their feet and said they wanted realism.

In Napoleonic Wars line-battles you line up in 10-20 man lines and have 'blocking melee' wars, no one blocks bayonets left, right, up and down and spins around in real life you do realise? xD In normal Warband you can get sliced round the face by a short sword and hit in the leg by a mace, yet still have enough strength to swing your greatsword into someones skull. If you want to make IE realistic, do it on another engine because Warband wasn't meant to be the next Red Orchestra FPS realism shooter and it won't work if you try make it that. That's the point I'm saying, taking everything into consideration, accurate weapons, big grenade areas, lots of artillery and barely any people surviving, yes it will be realistic to real history in that sense, but it will also create huge standstills and stalemates which again, is realistic to WWI, but it won't work for a competitive game that has 1 hour events.

End of my rant for tonight!  ;D

https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=6401.0

3rd company kbl in action serving as an example of a successful trench/line battle: 

this is a blast and its in blood and iron, everythings gonna be fine  :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 04:26:02 am by Miller »

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
  • ✭ 𝓡𝓮𝓫𝓮𝓵 𝓨𝓮𝓵𝓵 𝓘𝓷𝓽𝓮𝓷𝓼𝓲𝓯𝓲𝓮𝓼 ✭
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #1786 on: September 12, 2013, 04:16:32 am »

https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=6401.0

this is a blast and its in blood and iron, everything gonna be fine  :)

I don't remember rapid firing machine guns and snipers being in Blood and Iron when I installed it. Unless there was an update hidden from the forums?  ;)

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: September 12, 2013, 04:18:08 am »
wait was there in nw as you mention?

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: September 12, 2013, 04:19:58 am »
wait was there in nw as you mention?

No. Hence why I said in my quote if you read it "They were using cannons and inaccurate muskets and it was still pretty difficult to get across without being shot or hit by mortars".

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: September 12, 2013, 04:25:01 am »
ya ik what you said, i was just implying that it if it can work in b&i, adding machine guns and wide shrapnel radius arty to it will add an atmosphere if anything, you can march in a line across no mans land obviously, we will have to adapt to use turn of the century tactics that will enable survivability of the inf unit and preform realism, all good things, if rounds tend to be shorter we can just have more of them. 

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: September 12, 2013, 04:30:46 am »
ya ik what you said, i was just implying that it if it can work in b&i, adding machine guns and wide shrapnel radius arty to it will add an atmosphere if anything, you can march in a line across no mans land obviously, we will have to adapt to use turn of the century tactics that will enable survivability of the inf unit and preform realism, all good things, if rounds tend to be shorter we can just have more of them.

So if we go with that logic, lets see, if we basically sellotaped together about 10 Dreyse rifles into one weapon and had it fire simultaneously into a line of about 10 men constantly, having about 3-4 of these 'selo-taped' guns equivalent to 10 rifles each along the line, whilst having about 20-30 other Dreyse rifles spread out across the trench, along with mortars raining down and admin holy hand grenades being lobbed, you truly believe you could get across the map in one piece and take the trench? I'd certainly love to see that myself. That's about 40 rifles firing at you constantly, not to mention howitzer and mortars and those hand grenades to dodge, you're gonna have a rough time!

Offline sovietgondor

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1791 on: September 12, 2013, 04:57:18 am »
FYI WWI: Source is getting a huge overhaul.Just because it mimicked realism didn't make it unplayable. It was the amount of asinine bugs the game has. I understand your point on the whole "Over the Top" thing, but that's what most of the player are waiting for. An arty barrage, a Whistle, a charge. Sounds quite fun to me.

Have you played on a trench event on NW? They were using cannons and inaccurate muskets and it was still pretty difficult to get across without being shot or hit by mortars, I admit yes it was fun to be in the adrenaline rush of being shot at but there was honestly no 'point' to the event, hence why they stopped hosting it, charging across to other trenches is all fine and dandy, but 'Battle' mode will basically have to be deleted from the whole game because I'm pretty sure if it were you charging my trench going 'Wooo! Realism yeaaah booi!" then I took over a Maxim MG and shot your entire torso to bits with bullets before you even took 3 steps out of your trench and that was you out for the entire round? Prettttyyy sure you wouldn't be going "Wooo yeah! Realism! I'm bleeding and dying slowly on the floor! Woo this is so awesome!". xD

Technically most battles would have to either be a Siege style, one team has lives and defends their trenches flag whilst the other waves constantly charge, or it'll just be a huge team deathmatch event with say, first to reach 100 kills. But that'd raise another problem as well, people will end up camping and sniping so events like that will drag on for 3-4 hours. It's all well and good doing realism but people don't have hours and hours to spare for one single event merely because some people 'wanted realism'. I'm not saying make it so you have to take 200 bullets before you die, I'm just saying one hit kills, rapid firing MG's and accurate rifles + we have sniper rifles now? How the hell are we supposed to even spawn without dying straight away xD The whole 'Halo' craze died away when people began spawn camping and sniping people constantly, so IE is gonna have to figure out a way to stop that other than 'We'll impose event rules' because not everyone follows the rules for roleplaying as demonstrated on PW. Alot of thought is going to have to go into either map design or weapon design, otherwise having a 'stormtrooper' class will be rendered moot if they can't even get out of their trench let alone charge. If you think about it, how many WWI games do you know of that are extremely popular compared to WWII games? WWI is hard to recreate because it literally was 'I'll charge, they won't expect it. Oh wait..." so recreating a fun game is difficult unless you move away from realism, for example The Great War mod for N:TW would work perfectly because you have 1000's of men and machine guns that aren't 100% accurate due to a good balancing system. But when it comes to player controlled combat, you can't have 1000's of players but you can nerf MG's so they're not devastating. Games like 'Battlefield 1918' had accurate firing MG's and rifles, thats the kind of thing you should play if you want to have realism but I can't guarantee they'll be 'fun' seeing as barely anyone plays BF 18 anymore, when I went on it a while back there was a server with about 3 people on. I don't want to see IE become a dead mod merely because a few people stamped their feet and said they wanted realism.

In Napoleonic Wars line-battles you line up in 10-20 man lines and have 'blocking melee' wars, no one blocks bayonets left, right, up and down and spins around in real life you do realise? xD In normal Warband you can get sliced round the face by a short sword and hit in the leg by a mace, yet still have enough strength to swing your greatsword into someones skull. If you want to make IE realistic, do it on another engine because Warband wasn't meant to be the next Red Orchestra FPS realism shooter and it won't work if you try make it that. That's the point I'm saying, taking everything into consideration, accurate weapons, big grenade areas, lots of artillery and barely any people surviving, yes it will be realistic to real history in that sense, but it will also create huge standstills and stalemates which again, is realistic to WWI, but it won't work for a competitive game that has 1 hour events.

End of my rant for tonight!  ;D

Ok.

1. Yes I have played trench events before, both in NW and B&I. They were both awesome. If you observe where you move before you move there, you can avoid dying easily.

2. Don't use BF 1918 as an example. It was a great mod and had a huge player base. Not only that but it had events that were both realism and non realism and they were fun either way. It's a FPS. Sooner or later you run into someone who is a better shot then you. But as with most old games and mods they slowly wither away with time.

3. Once again I will say it. I don't care about the realism. Everyone knows WWI is hard to recreate as a video game without someone complaining about this or that, hence why there isnt that many. but at the same time the difficulty doubles with the Warband engine. Not everything in the First World War was trenches. there was such a thing as mobile warfare from 1914 right up to late 1915 before the fighting mowed down into a trench stalemate for the next 2 years. Now I can understand that trench charges may not be fun for most, but who says we will always be in trenches? with the arty system in NW no one would are stay put :/ thats just plain and simply obvious.

I don't think the devs are aiming for ultra realistic gameplay, but they are aiming for a realistic feel, and are trying to make it as balanced as possible. I appreciate what they are doing. As for you worrying over the damage system. you will see it when it comes out.

/end retort

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: September 12, 2013, 05:08:52 am »
Ok.

1. Yes I have played trench events before, both in NW and B&I. They were both awesome. If you observe where you move before you move there, you can avoid dying easily.

2. Don't use BF 1918 as an example. It was a great mod and had a huge player base. Not only that but it had events that were both realism and non realism and they were fun either way. It's a FPS. Sooner or later you run into someone who is a better shot then you. But as with most old games and mods they slowly wither away with time.

3. Once again I will say it. I don't care about the realism. Everyone knows WWI is hard to recreate as a video game without someone complaining about this or that, hence why there isnt that many. but at the same time the difficulty doubles with the Warband engine. Not everything in the First World War was trenches. there was such a thing as mobile warfare from 1914 right up to late 1915 before the fighting mowed down into a trench stalemate for the next 2 years. Now I can understand that trench charges may not be fun for most, but who says we will always be in trenches? with the arty system in NW no one would are stay put :/ thats just plain and simply obvious.

I don't think the devs are aiming for ultra realistic gameplay, but they are aiming for a realistic feel, and are trying to make it as balanced as possible. I appreciate what they are doing. As for you worrying over the damage system. you will see it when it comes out.

/end retort

1. Against muskets, yes. Try against a machine gun, snipers, more rifles and more artillery + holy hand grenades. Then come back to me and I'll gladly bow down.

2. I can use it as an example if I so wish thank you.

3. Well you can't exactly be walking about across no mans land looking confused with mortars and machine guns firing, unless you're an idiot which I sincerly hope you aren't if you're planning on playing this game!

/no

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #1793 on: September 12, 2013, 05:36:35 am »
I fight fine in WWII games with better rifles and machineguns firing at me. I don't see why anyone should complain.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: September 12, 2013, 05:47:14 am »
I fight fine in WWII games with better rifles and machineguns firing at me. I don't see why anyone should complain.

Because they're not Warband. In Red Orchestra you can leg it across the map, you can have tanks covering you in very big maps with SMG's and Light machine guns. On warband, you take a brisk jog across a map with no SMG's or tanks. As I stated above, this is not WWII nor is it an FPS.

Offline Rigadoon

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rigadoon
« Reply #1795 on: September 12, 2013, 07:44:02 am »
The mod will be thoroughly tested before release to be sure that any new features we've added increase the enjoyment rather than take away. Sovietgondor sums up what we're trying to achieve pretty well. It's suppose to feel realistic, but not to the point where it's going to be a pain to play. We should also consider that the mod will most likely be played in conquest mode. That would be the best way to represent WWI warfare. So even if your entire squad gets wiped out, which shouldn't happen if you play it smart, it's not like you'll be sitting around for 20 minutes while surviving members of both sides camp it out.

Offline TomaHawkAU

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tomdebomb
« Reply #1796 on: September 12, 2013, 08:17:04 am »
also I have 3 things to add

1. depending on how rapid firing the artillery is it can be easily used to cover your advance
2. Regiments are obviously going to have to work together so they can actually get across no mans land.
3. If you want it rigadoon I have a sprinting system in my mod created by CaseOfInsanity

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #1797 on: September 12, 2013, 10:18:34 am »
Was playing this gem again today. Super addictive.

http://armorgames.com/play/2267/warfare-1917

I'm having a bit of faith in the dev team on this mod. Any good tactical play and marksmanship will get you high on the scoreboard as it should be. If sprint and prone are included, it'll only be icing on the cake.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
« Reply #1798 on: September 12, 2013, 12:18:16 pm »
You are always sprinting in nw xD
No prone yet, sadly it's a tad too hard to implement. I have yet to see a good one in any mod.
The first modder for NW.

Offline TomaHawkAU

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tomdebomb
« Reply #1799 on: September 12, 2013, 12:22:41 pm »
All Australians will play this game when released

[close]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 12:25:02 pm by TomaHawkAU »