16 (1.9%)
400 litres
48 (5.7%)
240.336.676,217765 litres
300 (35.5%)
10.180.000.000.000.000 litres
362 (42.8%)

Total Members Voted: 838

Author Topic: [NW][M]Iron Europe - WWI Mod (RELEASED) - Old Thread  (Read 983173 times)

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
  • ✭ 𝓡𝓮𝓫𝓮𝓵 𝓨𝓮𝓵𝓵 𝓘𝓷𝓽𝓮𝓷𝓼𝓲𝓯𝓲𝓮𝓼 ✭
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: [NW][M]Iron Europe - WWI Mod (Update #20 Scopes, Grenades, In-game Screens)
« Reply #1770 on: September 11, 2013, 09:51:37 pm »
Bullets in Arma are also a lot smaller.

Technically the British .303 round isn't much different to the NATO 7.62x54 round used in various ARMA weaponry such as the FN FAL.

Offline sovietgondor

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1771 on: September 11, 2013, 09:53:05 pm »
Adding to the point of people not dying instantly, in the D-Day invasion the great Canadian hero James Doohan was friendly fired four times in the leg, once in the chest, and once in the hand, which blew off a finger. He then lived to play Scotty in Star trek.
The point people are trying to make is that any of these wounds would be incapacitating. You'd survive, but you wouldn't be able to fight. In video games, that means dead.

Not necessarily, look at Arma 2, you can get shot in the thigh and fall on the floor and can't move unless you heal yourself or get healed. You don't go 'Argh my foot! I have to die now, goodbye cruel world!" xD

Bullets in Arma are also a lot smaller.

Arma also has it's own hit detection system which is way different than Warband.

Offline BSM 'Shut up' Williams

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Jean Grande
  • Side: Union
« Reply #1772 on: September 11, 2013, 09:53:27 pm »
The British .303 round I believe took down the Red Baron.

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: September 11, 2013, 10:06:35 pm »
I understand that people love realism so much but does this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeJkpsOqQgc[/youtube]

Does this look 'fun' or 'playable'? About 20-30 guys get shot up within 5 yards, which yes, is realistic as to what happened in WWI, but we're not going to be in WWI, We're going to be in a game. Therefore I don't get how Stormtroopers are meant to work in this game if people can reload very quickly and get one hit kills when shooting someone in the finger. This was a huge 'game-killer' for games like WWI: Source, eventually there were only about 1-2 servers with 3-4 people on each because the game was fairly unplayable with all the 'realism'.

Unless the 77y port over to this mod, there won't be enough people to have these huge charges because their entire line will get wiped out by one hit kill pistols and rifles, even before the machine guns and MG's have had their fun. Realism is good, but there should be limits otherwise it'll end up being impossible to play.
If grenades are going to be nerfed then I really can't work out how events will be seeing as no one will be able to get across the field unless they're a 100 man line so that they have some 'left overs' who can actually take the trench without dying in the first few seconds. Unless you guys have a huge secret plan as to how this is going to work and still be fun at the same time?  :o

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: September 11, 2013, 10:44:02 pm »

Does this look 'fun' or 'playable'? About 20-30 guys get shot up within 5 yards, which yes, is realistic as to what happened in WWI, but we're not going to be in WWI, We're going to be in a game. Therefore I don't get how Stormtroopers are meant to work in this game if people can reload very quickly and get one hit kills when shooting someone in the finger. This was a huge 'game-killer' for games like WWI: Source, eventually there were only about 1-2 servers with 3-4 people on each because the game was fairly unplayable with all the 'realism'.

Unless the 77y port over to this mod, there won't be enough people to have these huge charges because their entire line will get wiped out by one hit kill pistols and rifles, even before the machine guns and MG's have had their fun. Realism is good, but there should be limits otherwise it'll end up being impossible to play.
If grenades are going to be nerfed then I really can't work out how events will be seeing as no one will be able to get across the field unless they're a 100 man line so that they have some 'left overs' who can actually take the trench without dying in the first few seconds. Unless you guys have a huge secret plan as to how this is going to work and still be fun at the same time?  :o

Hell ya, attaque!!!

We'll have enough, if people are smart enough with their event rules it will be fair for attackers and defenders, as well as maintain realism in terms of scale proportion

also rigadoon, my ap coarses are letting my inhale a bit this weekend so i can finally finish the modeling asignment as well as maybe a 2nd one if i get ambitious fyi. ill do my best  ;D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 10:45:50 pm by Miller »

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #1775 on: September 12, 2013, 12:29:07 am »
I think it'l be fun to replicate trench warfare in it's full glory. I mean if I really wanted something else I'd say "Forget WWI" and just play Blood and Iron solely (Franco-Prussian War wasn't in trenches mainly, not a dig at Iron Europe devs or Wilhem).
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Thvle

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: September 12, 2013, 02:07:42 am »
It is likely that the mod comes out later this year?  ;D ;D

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: September 12, 2013, 02:09:27 am »

Yeah... yeah no...

They've made great progress but I don't see IE coming out 'till next Spring.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie

Offline Thvle

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: September 12, 2013, 02:10:36 am »

Yeah... yeah no...

:(

Well, at least we can spend time with the L'Aigle, no? :D

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: September 12, 2013, 02:23:12 am »

Yeah... yeah no...

Er... ask Docm, I'm not making the mod.

Offline Madbull

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_Grd_Madbull
« Reply #1780 on: September 12, 2013, 02:27:18 am »

Yeah... yeah no...

Er... ask Docm, I'm not making the mod.

2013  ;)

Back on topic. :P

Offline Rigadoon

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rigadoon
« Reply #1781 on: September 12, 2013, 02:47:54 am »

Yeah... yeah no...

Don't be too sure about that.  ;)

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: September 12, 2013, 02:49:35 am »

Yeah... yeah no...

Don't be too sure about that.  ;)

...Don't get my hopes up for nuthin Riggy :D

Offline sovietgondor

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1783 on: September 12, 2013, 03:13:05 am »

FYI WWI: Source is getting a huge overhaul. Just because it mimicked realism didn't make it unplayable. It was the amount of asinine bugs the game has. I understand your point on the whole "Over the Top" thing, but that's what most of the player are waiting for. An arty barrage, a Whistle, a charge. Sounds quite fun to me.

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: September 12, 2013, 04:04:46 am »
FYI WWI: Source is getting a huge overhaul.Just because it mimicked realism didn't make it unplayable. It was the amount of asinine bugs the game has. I understand your point on the whole "Over the Top" thing, but that's what most of the player are waiting for. An arty barrage, a Whistle, a charge. Sounds quite fun to me.

Have you played on a trench event on NW? They were using cannons and inaccurate muskets and it was still pretty difficult to get across without being shot or hit by mortars, I admit yes it was fun to be in the adrenaline rush of being shot at but there was honestly no 'point' to the event, hence why they stopped hosting it, charging across to other trenches is all fine and dandy, but 'Battle' mode will basically have to be deleted from the whole game because I'm pretty sure if it were you charging my trench going 'Wooo! Realism yeaaah booi!" then I took over a Maxim MG and shot your entire torso to bits with bullets before you even took 3 steps out of your trench and that was you out for the entire round? Prettttyyy sure you wouldn't be going "Wooo yeah! Realism! I'm bleeding and dying slowly on the floor! Woo this is so awesome!". xD

Technically most battles would have to either be a Siege style, one team has lives and defends their trenches flag whilst the other waves constantly charge, or it'll just be a huge team deathmatch event with say, first to reach 100 kills. But that'd raise another problem as well, people will end up camping and sniping so events like that will drag on for 3-4 hours. It's all well and good doing realism but people don't have hours and hours to spare for one single event merely because some people 'wanted realism'. I'm not saying make it so you have to take 200 bullets before you die, I'm just saying one hit kills, rapid firing MG's and accurate rifles + we have sniper rifles now? How the hell are we supposed to even spawn without dying straight away xD The whole 'Halo' craze died away when people began spawn camping and sniping people constantly, so IE is gonna have to figure out a way to stop that other than 'We'll impose event rules' because not everyone follows the rules for roleplaying as demonstrated on PW. Alot of thought is going to have to go into either map design or weapon design, otherwise having a 'stormtrooper' class will be rendered moot if they can't even get out of their trench let alone charge. If you think about it, how many WWI games do you know of that are extremely popular compared to WWII games? WWI is hard to recreate because it literally was 'I'll charge, they won't expect it. Oh wait..." so recreating a fun game is difficult unless you move away from realism, for example The Great War mod for N:TW would work perfectly because you have 1000's of men and machine guns that aren't 100% accurate due to a good balancing system. But when it comes to player controlled combat, you can't have 1000's of players but you can nerf MG's so they're not devastating. Games like 'Battlefield 1918' had accurate firing MG's and rifles, thats the kind of thing you should play if you want to have realism but I can't guarantee they'll be 'fun' seeing as barely anyone plays BF 18 anymore, when I went on it a while back there was a server with about 3 people on. I don't want to see IE become a dead mod merely because a few people stamped their feet and said they wanted realism.

In Napoleonic Wars line-battles you line up in 10-20 man lines and have 'blocking melee' wars, no one blocks bayonets left, right, up and down and spins around in real life you do realise? xD In normal Warband you can get sliced round the face by a short sword and hit in the leg by a mace, yet still have enough strength to swing your greatsword into someones skull. If you want to make IE realistic, do it on another engine because Warband wasn't meant to be the next Red Orchestra FPS realism shooter and it won't work if you try make it that. That's the point I'm saying, taking everything into consideration, accurate weapons, big grenade areas, lots of artillery and barely any people surviving, yes it will be realistic to real history in that sense, but it will also create huge standstills and stalemates which again, is realistic to WWI, but it won't work for a competitive game that has 1 hour events.

End of my rant for tonight!  ;D