Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 233196 times)

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #315 on: April 08, 2014, 10:13:28 am »
Yeah, it depends on which SS Division you are for widespread Peadot '44 camo to be worn. #1 I've seen is 12.SS and they also have huge stocks of Italian camouflage including those snazzy jumpsuits. I was helping Festung Europa with their uniforms so I went balls to the wall scraping together as many Normandy and Operation Cobra photos I could that show Germans and what they wore.

I'd love to do Napoleonic French, but it's not something you can really jump into without large sums of cash laying about to get a tailored uniform and whatnots.

@Ililsa: I love that video, haha.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #316 on: April 08, 2014, 11:25:10 am »
I would so want to reenact Garde Voltigeurs

Bleh! As soon as the Tirailleurs-Chasseurs were renamed Voltiguers, they started sucking. Sucking hard.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
  • Side: Union
« Reply #317 on: April 08, 2014, 11:26:34 am »
Why?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 08, 2014, 11:30:41 am »
Okay, I'll be fair, they were renamed in 1810 and they didn't start sucking until after 1812. In 1813 and 1814, Young guard regiments were nothing but inexperienced recruits who were drawn into the army by the offer of guard status. In Russia, there were six Tirailleur and six Voltigeur regiments - In 1814 there were 19 of both, plus depot.

They weren't necessary awful soldiers, but their guard status was definitely undeserved.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #319 on: April 08, 2014, 11:31:39 am »
Recent pretty big Bicentenary in France at Reims

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIJAzzR3nbA[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHBmEa3hwH8[/youtube]

Battlefield seems far too small considering the amount of cavalry and infantry....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqE_Z5KOHyk&feature=share[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w10cftWEfJc[/youtube]

Dem columns though...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 08, 2014, 11:32:55 am »
What's it with the French and either enormous battlefields, or ridiculously small ones.

That band is really everywhere, isn't it?

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #321 on: April 08, 2014, 01:54:10 pm »
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-cx5AadXIro[/youtube]

This is awesome. I liked how they took loads of hits when those Federals volleyed at them @ 1:36. That was righteous.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #322 on: April 08, 2014, 02:31:40 pm »
Wow.. That battlefield is ridiculously small. The horses really cant go anywhere.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #323 on: April 08, 2014, 04:19:47 pm »

Another epic video

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 08, 2014, 05:18:50 pm »
Okay, I'll be fair, they were renamed in 1810 and they didn't start sucking until after 1812. In 1813 and 1814, Young guard regiments were nothing but inexperienced recruits who were drawn into the army by the offer of guard status. In Russia, there were six Tirailleur and six Voltigeur regiments - In 1814 there were 19 of both, plus depot.

They weren't necessary awful soldiers, but their guard status was definitely undeserved.

Thats one of thethings I find interesting about the Voltigeurs. For example the 15e was raised in January 1814. They called themselves a regiment but I doubt they ever reached above battalion strength.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 08, 2014, 06:28:21 pm »
It did. I checked their matricule, or roll call. Their enlistment starts on 14 February 1814 and they are on full strength 5 days later - 2028 men in total. Drummers are enlisted on the 26th of February.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 08, 2014, 07:45:04 pm »
Interesting. My research showed they fielded 216 officers and men at the Battle of Paris which was only a month after they saw their first action. Records also show only 9 officers became casualties in which one died in their whole service. There commander as well as a Major Joseph Leclerc.

Could I have a link to your source? Unless they had a completely ungodly desertion rate or were completely decimated it doesent make much sence why they would be fielding nearly 2,000 less men 1 month into their service and were being commanded by a Major.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 08, 2014, 08:02:26 pm »
While the regiment's strength obviously drains at an alarming speed throughout March due to desertion, maybe it was simply the depot troops that defended Paris and the rest of the 15e was with Napoleons army that never reached the city. But I can't give you a real answer until I've read more. All I know is that desertion was hiiiiiiiiiiiigh. So anything is possible.

How good is your French?

http://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.defense.gouv.fr/fr/arkotheque/inventaires/ead_ir_consult.php?fam=10&ref=22&le_id=8

'En arriere' means as much as 'to the rear' or 'left behind'. Men simply fell behind during the march and were gone. Not sure what makes them different from ordinary deserters - Gone is gone.
Go to page 200 and you'll find Francais Louis Fepou, 2nd batallion, 3rd company, who died at Loan.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:07:38 pm by Duuring »

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 08, 2014, 08:14:17 pm »
Depot troops  could make sense. Sadly my researched is hampered by not being able to speak French. But thanks for the link to that book. I would fucking kill to be able to understand what it says...

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #329 on: April 08, 2014, 08:15:21 pm »
Google translate?