Author Topic: Ancestors serving in the American Civil War  (Read 5003 times)

Offline Akko

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Ancestors serving in the American Civil War
« on: November 19, 2014, 04:08:55 am »

Thought this type of thread would be appropriate for this forum. Seems everyone has a thing for Civil War topics and who wouldn't, it was an interesting conflict, but a bloody one, and a lot of Americans and descendants of Americans have ancestors who fought.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:32:59 am by Akko »

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Ancestors serving in the American Civil War
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 06:36:51 am »
I have three all brothers, all Irish from Boston. One served in the Navy on the USS Bermuda, one served in an Infantry regimnent but we cant figure out which one (possibly New York) and the final William O'Brien, who I know the most about and have letters by plus other personal effects.

In short william was working in New Hampshire when Sumpter was fired upon. Being 19 and youthful he enlisted two days later in company E, 1st New Hampshire Infantry and wore a gray uniform with red trim. Being one of Lincoln's first 75,000 90 day volunteers he did not see action. Once his enlistment expired he reenlisted back in Boston in Company I 24th Massachusetts Infantry "The NEw England Guards" as a Corporal.

He served in the Carolinas under Burnsides expedition early in the war and fought at Goldsburough and did island hopping of the South Carolina coast. He was in the same division as the famous 54th Massachusetts Colored Infantry in the movie Glory so he was in the same engagements including Fort Wagner. He served in Florida and in Virginia in Butler's Army of the James on the Bermuda Hundred Campaign. His regiment took over 100 casualties at the Second battle of Deep Bottom where he is specifically mentioned in the regiment history (now a 1st Sergeant) of his reaction is seeing his best friend shot in the head.

Once Richmond fell his regiment garrisoned Richmond up until January 1866 before being mustered out. The 24th was the second to last New England regiment to leave the army. During this time he rose to the rank of Captain and was the Union Commandant of the notorious formal Rebel Prison Libby Prison. It was considered the Andersonville for officers. It was essentially a warehouse on the Richmond wafs where Union officers were sent to rot. When it was turned over to Union control war criminals were sent there and watched over by William. He writes of having to persuade former inmates of not killing the Confederate commandant who was locked up there out of revenge. He is even mentioned int he Richmond Examiner as running "Captain O'Brien's Hotel" 

Then in the early 1870's he went out to California and was blown up in a mining explosion. My family did not try to go to California again for another 160 years.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:38:54 am by Millander »
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Akko

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 06:39:38 am »
I have three all brothers Irish from boston. One served in the Navy on the USS Bermuda, One served in an Infantry regimnent but we cant figure out which one (possibly New York) and the final who I know the most about and have letters by plus other personal effects is William.

In short william was working in New Hampshire when Sumpter was fired upon. Being 19 and youthful he enlisted two days later in company E, 1st New Hampshire Infantry and wore a gray uniform with red trim. Being one os Lincoln's first 75,000 90 day volunteers he did not see action. Once his enlistment expired he reenlisted back in Boston in Company I 24th Massachusetts Infantry as a Corporal.

He served in the Carolinas under Burnsides expedition early in the war and fought at Goldsburough and did island hopping of the South Carolina coast. He was in the same division as the famous 54th Massachusetts Colored Infantry in the movie Glory so he was in the same engagements including Fort Wagner. He served in Florida and in Virginia in Butler's Army of the James on the Bermuda Hundred Campaign. His regiment took over 100 casualties at the Second battle of Deep Bottom where he is specifically mentioned in the regiment history (now a 1st Sergeant) of his reaction is seeing his best friend shot in the head.

Once Richmond fell his regiment garrisoned Richmond up until January 1866 before being mustered out. The 24th was the second to last New England regiment to leave the army. During this time he rose to the rank of Captain and was the Union Commandant of the notorious formal Rebel Prison Libby Prison. It was considered the Andersonville for officers. It was essentially a warehouse on the Richmond wafs where Union officers were sent to rot. When it was turned over to Union control war criminals were sent there and watched over by William. He writes of having to persuade former inmates of not killing the Confederate commandant who was locked up there out of revenge.

Then in the early 1870's he went out to California and was blown up in a mining explosion. My family did not try to go to California again for another 160 years.

An interesting story, that is. I really do enjoy when people go into such detail. The Irish played a major role in both sides of the conflict.

Offline Newkirk

• Colonel
  • 27th Relic
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Old Mr. Kirk
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 07:07:43 am »
I have three all brothers, all Irish from Boston. One served in the Navy on the USS Bermuda, one served in an Infantry regimnent but we cant figure out which one (possibly New York) and the final William O'Brien, who I know the most about and have letters by plus other personal effects.

In short william was working in New Hampshire when Sumpter was fired upon. Being 19 and youthful he enlisted two days later in company E, 1st New Hampshire Infantry and wore a gray uniform with red trim. Being one of Lincoln's first 75,000 90 day volunteers he did not see action. Once his enlistment expired he reenlisted back in Boston in Company I 24th Massachusetts Infantry "The NEw England Guards" as a Corporal.

Once Richmond fell his regiment garrisoned Richmond up until January 1866 before being mustered out. The 24th was the second to last New England regiment to leave the army. During this time he rose to the rank of Captain and was the Union Commandant of the notorious formal Rebel Prison Libby Prison. It was considered the Andersonville for officers. It was essentially a warehouse on the Richmond wafs where Union officers were sent to rot. When it was turned over to Union control war criminals were sent there and watched over by William. He writes of having to persuade former inmates of not killing the Confederate commandant who was locked up there out of revenge. He is even mentioned int he Richmond Examiner as running "Captain O'Brien's Hotel" 

That's pretty awesome there. Sadly I know very little about my family prior to my grandparents. About all I know is one side is from Germany and judging by the names and traits the other is Scots-Irish. Not uncommon for an Appalachian family.

Only real ancestor I know about has nothing to do with the civil war, he was a sort of bandit in the early 1900s, Otto Wood. He managed to escape from jail about 10 different times, 4 of those being from the NC Central Prison in Raleigh after he was sentenced to 30 years for second degree murder. He was killed in a shootout with law enforcement in Salisbury NC on New Years Eve 1930. I remember I made a thread a long time ago for his kind of folk, just general interesting ancestors.

They went and wrote a song about him in 1931, though this was recorded much later.
[close]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:10:48 am by Newkirk »

Offline Akko

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 10:56:30 pm »

That's pretty awesome there. Sadly I know very little about my family prior to my grandparents. About all I know is one side is from Germany and judging by the names and traits the other is Scots-Irish. Not uncommon for an Appalachian family.

Only real ancestor I know about has nothing to do with the civil war, he was a sort of bandit in the early 1900s, Otto Wood. He managed to escape from jail about 10 different times, 4 of those being from the NC Central Prison in Raleigh after he was sentenced to 30 years for second degree murder. He was killed in a shootout with law enforcement in Salisbury NC on New Years Eve 1930. I remember I made a thread a long time ago for his kind of folk, just general interesting ancestors.

They went and wrote a song about him in 1931, though this was recorded much later.
[close]

Pretty catchy song. :3

Offline TheRedRedcoat

• First Lieutenant
  • uhh
    • View Profile
  • Nick: u
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 12:11:11 am »
Upon immigrating from Belfast in the UK, my great great (etc) grand uncle  enlisted in the 69th New York. He fought through most of the war and was an NCO by the end of the war. Other than that I hardly know anything about him. His name was James O'Mallon.

Offline Akko

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 02:49:23 am »
Upon immigrating from Belfast in the UK, my great great (etc) grand uncle  enlisted in the 69th New York. He fought through most of the war and was an NCO by the end of the war. Other than that I hardly know anything about him. His name was James O'Mallon.

I'm guessing he was Irish Catholic and not Scotch-Irish?

Offline TheRedRedcoat

• First Lieutenant
  • uhh
    • View Profile
  • Nick: u
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 02:54:00 am »

Yes he was. But there were also scotch-Irish in our family, strangely enough.

Offline Akko

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 02:58:43 am »

Yes he was. But there were also scotch-Irish in our family, strangely enough.

Well the majority of "Irish" in the US aren't descended from Irish Catholics, but Scotch-Irish Protestants instead. So having some Scotch-Irish (Ulster Scots) blood some where down the line is pretty common. Especially down South.

Offline PoWder

• Private
  • 18th_AzeriArty_Queen_PoWder
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 05:11:33 am »
my dad

Offline Akko

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 02:12:42 am »

Offline Shredder

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 03:41:42 am »
My uncle-in-law was related to John Singleton Mosby

at least I'm not related in blood XD

Offline PoWder

• Private
  • 18th_AzeriArty_Queen_PoWder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 04:59:08 am »
my dad was in the civil war.

Offline MackCW

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 02:04:31 pm »
Three ancestors. All fought for the North.

Two brothers served with the 13th Vermont and flanked Kemper's Brigade during Pickett's Charge (you can actually see this in the movie Gettysburg). One was wounded at Gettysburg, became a miner after the war and was stabbed to death following a tavern dispute.

The other one was assigned to cleanup duty after the battle while the rest of the regiment went south (ik lucky him). He lived another 50 years after the war.

The other one I don't know much about except he was in the 31st Wisconsin and was with Sherman for his march to the sea.