Author Topic: An interesting video on bayonets  (Read 2733 times)

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
An interesting video on bayonets
« on: January 13, 2014, 10:42:24 pm »
I found this video today about bayonets, it's by Matt Easton, who, if you know anything about him, is highly knowledgeable about weapons from all over the world and his word is highly respected and valuable among historians and authors. In fact he wrote an intro for the book "Swordsmen of the British Empire" by D.A. Kinsley. In this video Easton talks about bayonets and reality versus fiction. It's worth watching as are all of Easton's videos and in fact I highly recommend that anyone looking to learn more about weapons and armor and their uses and applications check his videos out because they're usually short and to the point with no nonsense and it's all based on facts and real accounts from different periods and not his own personal opinions.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nc7UNFN3bM[/youtube]

Offline Rupert

• First Lieutenant
  • fuck
    • View Profile
Re: An interesting video on bayonets
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 11:30:54 pm »
I fink a bayonet was pretty shit back in the day. Personally if rather beat someone with the end of the gun like a rifle.
Rupert, I removed your post due to some offensive content. Feel free to call 1stSAO or me "weeaboos", etc., but do not fill the thread with content that could be offensive, or insensitive to any group/groups of people based on their race, religion, or past greviances.
Thanks

Offline Locust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 02:58:42 am »
Cool video thank you for sharing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 08:16:25 pm »
Meh. He's kinda pointing out the obvious in my opinion.

At least he's doesn't bring forward the fact that there were very few bayonet-wounds in hospitals and then say, like so many others, that this proves melees didn't happen. While it's true that few men ended up in hospital with bayonet-wounds, but that was mostly because bayonet wounds were either too insignificant to get you in a hospital, or lethal on the spot. We must remember that between being wounded, and getting in a hospital (and thus being recorded), often lied several hours, if not days - Time enough to bleed to death.

By far the least lethal thing in a battle was the cavalry sabre.

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 08:35:23 pm »
Its obvious to us Duuring but as he points out, many people mistake the bayonet for being some super weapon. Also, Mr. Easton did actually make a video discussing the issues when looking at wound records and such and the problem with judging the number of wounded based on hospital records. And about the cavalry saber, least lethal is a weird way to put it. I would say least predictable. Because you can hack a man's arm off with it but he might survive yet if you split him from head to brow, clearly he's dead. If you thrust him through the shoulder or leg, he'll probably survive but if you thrust him through the chest he's dead in seconds.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 08:57:55 pm »
You are waaaaaaay overestimating the cavalry sabre. It's incredibly difficult to hack of a arm with a cavalry sabre. The things were blunt as hell, and the way the sabre was used never gave you the perfect angle to cut of arms. Let alone split from head to brow  :P

Sabres made cuts and hacks, which left men terribly wounded, but not quite death. Same goes with lances - While lethal, again many men survived (multiple) lancestabs. An important factor is that in a cavalry charge the 'victim' can not quite be 'finished off'. If he survives the first cut and hits the ground, he's safe - It's not like the cavalry is going to dismount and check the wounded. Infantry fights were much more brutal (and shorter).

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 09:26:39 pm »
But isn't the actual target trying to get as many enemy soldiers out of combat as possible? Even if you survive a Sword thrust, you most likely won't fight anymore, and that is the whole point, isn't it?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 10:16:09 pm »
Depends on what you think is the proper definition of 'anymore'. The soldier may be unable to fight for the rest of the battle, or even never recover and be dumped into a garrison company if he's lucky, but once again by far the greatest deal of people recovered and returned to their regiments.

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 02:15:39 am »
I propose a new weapon to appeal to both the bayonet and sword advocates. I understand that it has already become a popular weapon among the Rejeistan stormtroopers of Australia.

Holy Weapon
[close]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:22:46 am by Rejeington »
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 10:01:37 pm »
Depends on what you think is the proper definition of 'anymore'. The soldier may be unable to fight for the rest of the battle, or even never recover and be dumped into a garrison company if he's lucky, but once again by far the greatest deal of people recovered and returned to their regiments.

just ask the hussar. he always knows.  ::)

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 10:28:20 pm »

Any evidence of how many rejoined their regiments after a battle after suffering a wound that made them go to the hospital?

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 11:08:08 pm »
In my research of Dutch soldiers during the Waterloo campaign, many, if not nearly all soldiers who had recorded wounds (thus whose wounds were considered seriously enough to write down) returned to service. The amount of men discharged or died in hospital was surprisingly low, and even if they weren't good for active service, they'd just be sent to the depot and thus stayed on the regimental list.

One hussar in the sixth regiment suffered no less then ten lance-wounds and a sabrecut, yet still returned and fulfilled his entire service, being discharged in 1821.

These are all advantages of 1. Having won and 2. being a soldier in the late napoleonics, where medical services were (relatively) at their best.

Offline Mr_hankie_elite

• Sergeant
  • People say I am a obnoxious troll... I agree!!!!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mr_hankie_elite
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 11:28:47 pm »
I propose a new weapon to appeal to both the bayonet and sword advocates. I understand that it has already become a popular weapon among the Rejeistan stormtroopers of Australia.

Holy Weapon
[close]
thats like a man with a little pecker tryin to make it bigger by adding stuffing. SHAMEFUR!