Author Topic: Developer Blog 26 - Alpha Announcement!  (Read 198728 times)

Offline Maniacal

• Volunteer
  • THIRTY-THIRD!!!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Developer Blog 26 - Alpha Announcement!
« Reply #240 on: October 16, 2015, 09:00:09 pm »
I too am also curious how long the alpha will last. I assume there will likely be more than one as well given the nature of alphas being a WIP?

Guys, the main problem here is that WaR and BCoF are like Call of Duty and Battlefield in this respect.

Both have similar gameplay styles, aesthetics, communities, playerbases, so on... and therefor, the games take player-base away from eachother. I can honestly see a LOT of people either playing solely BCoF or WaR, not both. And considering that this is the BCoF forum, it kinda would shoot'em in the foot to allow their kickstarter to be advertised here.

That being said, is it honorable? Is it morally right? I dunno, that's a different answer from person to person. But the bottom line is if something might threaten your product... why give it the air-time? And it's not like FSE's shitting on Campfire Games' work here, they just wanna keep things focused.

Y'all are... blowing this outta proportion.

Well a few things:

If they just came out and said something like "We feel it is a bit awkward to talk about a direct competitor here so please don't." it would be understandable and isn't going to look as silly as using a different reason entirely. Especially since most discussion about other games is kind of an advertisement for them anyway. It really does just make you look less than great when you do something like this, especially to people elsewhere (don't forget the Streisand Effect!). Also then you end up with people making a stink about it :p

I can't actually think of any developer that I know of who bans discussion of similar games from the OT section of the forum, though I do understand FSE not wanting it here. Also Battlefield and CoD are both wildly successful despite competition, but they are also considerably more different than two civil war FPS games are.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 16, 2015, 10:08:13 pm »
I'd really appreciate if you guys would let the subject rest. I understand that removing posts might seem radical, but we literally had members who registered yesterday posting links to the Kickstarter, which is a direct breach of the Advertisement Rule and led us do that decision. We allowed WoR-threads on the Off-topic section before, so this was a recent decision.

FSE, eventually, makes games to earn money, just like Campfire Games does. They respect each other and compete by making their games as best as they can, but they are competitors nevertheless.

I'll remove posts that continue this decision. I hope you understand that.

Offline Andee

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #242 on: October 16, 2015, 10:55:49 pm »
Still pretty excited to see what will come of the alpha. But I'm surprised FSE is still motivated to create a game for such a disrespectful community. But I guess those are just the bad apples.
xD

Offline KL4R1N0G4MPR0S

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 16, 2015, 11:02:12 pm »
Still pretty excited to see what will come of the alpha. But I'm surprised FSE is still motivated to create a game for such a disrespectful community. But I guess those are just the bad apples.
ayy lmao FSE is the bad apple
<3

Norwegian13

« Reply #244 on: October 16, 2015, 11:10:09 pm »
That's not the entire community. Just a few members. And yeah, they are, I guess you could say "the bad apples" of the FSE Forums.

Offline JonnyReb

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #245 on: October 16, 2015, 11:28:00 pm »
Wow, you had to spoil my party Olaf? No more 2 year anniversary party everyone.... fucking bullshit....

Offline Carson

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Charlie Don't Surf
    • View Profile
  • Nick: USMC Captain
« Reply #246 on: October 16, 2015, 11:48:09 pm »
How long do you guys reckon the Alpha will last?

Former:
15e Chef de Bataillon
USMC Captain |30th Captain | 3eVolt Soldat de Première | 1te Garde Lieutenant | 15thYork Serjeant | 21e Soldat | 24th Private

Offline Danik

• First Lieutenant
  • Better than Justin Bieber since 1960
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #247 on: October 17, 2015, 12:25:06 am »
Guys, the main problem here is that WaR and BCoF are like Call of Duty and Battlefield in this respect.
You mean BCoF and WoR is like... the Union and the Confederacy, right?

Offline T.Conroy

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blep
« Reply #248 on: October 17, 2015, 02:42:30 am »
I'll believe it when I'm playing it.

Offline Locust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 17, 2015, 03:52:18 am »
They did it to themselves. Maybe if fse had better pr

Offline Riekopo

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 17, 2015, 06:17:57 am »
The timing of this announcement is interesting. A day before the War of Rights Kickstarter launched. Almost seems like an attempt at sabotage. One blog update in 14 months doesn't mean much to me. I'll believe there's an alpha only when I'm actually playing it.

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 17, 2015, 07:19:38 am »
Well... FSE isn't in a position to sabotage another game's player base by doing a contained announcement on its own board. It has been long overdue as is.

The mounting pressure had been steadily building due to community anger over a lack of updates. Commercial competition may have certainly compounded that pressure but the announcement seems more of an effort at staying relevant amid community speculation that the project was dead. Olafson was already posting a large amount of pics in the donators board over a week ago but whichever way you look at it; Competition is a good thing and if it adds that bit of extra pressure for devs to provide a better product and service then all the better for the customer. I am hoping that both games will succeed in their respective enterprise.

Spoiler

[close]

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #252 on: October 17, 2015, 07:23:31 am »
This whole thing reminds me of present day Ukraine.
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline PurplePanda

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Old Gen boy, led a few bad regiments.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Purpie
« Reply #253 on: October 17, 2015, 08:14:42 am »
This whole thing reminds me of present day Ukraine.

Offline Tickle

• Volunteer
  • You know why they call me Tickle?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: IXe[33e]Tickle
« Reply #254 on: October 17, 2015, 09:29:03 am »
I'm so ready for this!