Author Topic: ACW Re-enactment in Europe: 110th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment  (Read 17587 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Hello all!

As some of you might already be aware of, Olafson, Vincenzo, Admiral and me have started our own American Civil War impression around a year ago: The 110th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment. Its creation has been quite succesful and we now have a solid core of around ten people, though we have managed to get as many as fourteen on our latest event. Many of us, including myself, are in the process of getting high-quality gear and uniforms to replace our old equipment.

Why the 110th?

We choose the 110th Pennsylvania for the very simply reason that it's just one of the hundreds of plain simple infantry regiments in the civil war. They didn't have a fancy uniform, a distinct (national) identity or a special story; They were just Americans from Philidelphia and central Pennsylvania who answered the call to serve their country. When looking for a regiment to re-enact, we came across a photograph of small Union company; the men were wearing regular sack coats and forage caps, with only the corps badge as decoration. This photograph had been wrongly identified as being the 6th Maine. We did one event as the 6th Maine, but when realizing these men were actually of the 110th Pennsylvania, we changed our name accordingly.

Our Impression

Our impression is based on the later half of the war, approx. from spring 1863 to the end of the war. However, we also do events in an earlier timeframe and try to adapt our impression as best as possible when doing so. We are a progressive unit: This means we attempt to do our best to get the best possible impression. In practise this means we drill often, use modern items to a minimum and only when necessary, have the smallest cadre possible and try to march and do battle with all our gear carried. We also do not use A-tents, using only shelter halves or simply creeping up to a fire.

Photos and videos

Civil War event in Walldürn in early spring. Great weather and great event. Excuse our Paki gear tho.. Were getting it changed.
[close]

Our camp, cooking breakfast (i.e. warming up the remains from dinner) and rolling cartridges.
[close]

Doing evening skirmish drill (Sadly we were doing it wrong, but some people of the German mess have trained us properly at a later August event)
[close]

Big album: Civil War Event in Venlo/Limburg. It was really fun. We had the ability to dig and construct our own trench, which was super great, we set up camp in the woods behind it, overall we had a very good time.
Spoiler
[close]

Beginning of a trench
Spoiler
[close]

Counter charging dem Rebs
Spoiler
[close]

Preparing for the Rebel Attack
Spoiler

[close]
Exchanging coffee for bread
Spoiler

[close]

Captured Rebels
Spoiler

[close]
Getting mowed down by a Confederate volley
Spoiler

[close]

Instructing the new recruit
Spoiler
[close]

Vince, the sniper
Spoiler
[close]

Food time
Spoiler
[close]
[close]

We are always looking for enthusiastic new recruits! Loaner gear will be provided at no extra cost for new people, as well as firearms (with provided training).

However, due to the nature of ACW re-enactment and our approach to re-enactment in general, we are obligated to have some restrictions:

- While unexperienced people are welcome, we do have a preference for experienced re-enactors.

- Our events are mostly in Germany, the Netherlands and Flanders.

- We cannot allow people under the age of 18, mostly due to logistics: Minors do not have their own transportation and usually limited financial possibilities. We have made an exception to this rule, but this exception is someone we know personally. Besides this, we also want to keep the number of unarmed soldiers, such as musicians, to a minimum.

- Our approach to re-enactment is, as mentioned earlier, progressive: Recruits should be aware that a degree of physical fitness is necessary.

Our next event is Walldürn in May 2017! We will be part of a larger unit, re-enacting the 110th in its very first campaign: The 1862 Valley Campaign, against Jackson.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:18:44 pm by Duuring »

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
Re: ACW Re-enactment in Europe: 110th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 01:34:25 am »
thx for invite m8 :'( 

U guys also started/joined a ww1 french unit too, forgive me if incorrect?

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 09:18:26 am »
We made 3 new groups. We have made our own French Napoleonic Group, French WW1 Group and US Civil War Group.

For each we have plenty of gear, uniforms and weapons to lend for anyone that wants to join. We do not expect you to buy any gear until you have sufficient funds to do so. You can lend it as long as you want, but obviously it is nice if you buy the gear from us, or just get new gear yourself. But as I said, no need.

For Napoleonic we have about 3 FULL sets of Uniforms and equipment to lend (Including gun and backpack etc, i.e. everything). For WW1 French we have 9 sets of full gear to lend. (Though only 4 backpacks (Which is not a big problem for WW1) and at the moment only 3 guns to lend.) For Civil War, I am not entirely sure, but I think we have about 12-16 sets to lend. We are lacking a bit in terms of guns, I believe we can only lend out 10 guns or so at the moment, but we are working on that too.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 09:20:15 am by Olafson »

Offline Ted

• Colonel
  • Aufknöpfen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 06:45:55 pm »
We made 3 new groups. We have made our own French Napoleonic Group, French WW1 Group and US Civil War Group.

For each we have plenty of gear, uniforms and weapons to lend for anyone that wants to join. We do not expect you to buy any gear until you have sufficient funds to do so. You can lend it as long as you want, but obviously it is nice if you buy the gear from us, or just get new gear yourself. But as I said, no need.

For Napoleonic we have about 3 FULL sets of Uniforms and equipment to lend (Including gun and backpack etc, i.e. everything). For WW1 French we have 9 sets of full gear to lend. (Though only 4 backpacks (Which is not a big problem for WW1) and at the moment only 3 guns to lend.) For Civil War, I am not entirely sure, but I think we have about 12-16 sets to lend. We are lacking a bit in terms of guns, I believe we can only lend out 10 guns or so at the moment, but we are working on that too.

That's where all the donations went ^^
Dat kid who put up a global banlist back in Betty's times.
Former Regiments: 7te Kurmarkische Landwehr, 6te Ulanen, kk Kürassierregiment Nr.4, kk Bombardier-Regiment Nr.3, kk AR Nr.2, GGR Nr.4, Artillerie im Kö.Preuß.IR Nr.33.
>>Scenes<<

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 10:42:11 pm »
Yeah, as if 16k would be enough for all of that gear.

Offline Cara

• French Language Moderator
  • Language Moderator
  • Former IVe_AdC
    • View Profile
    • TFD
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 12:13:22 am »
Actually, I could be interested :) I do only napoleonic reenactement as you know and I always wanted to try WW1, I just can't pay a whole gear for it.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 12:39:34 pm »
I am suprised to say this is actually sounds very interesing. I was always interested in Re-enactment but never thought I'd be able to do myself. This makes me interested in exploring the possibilities. I'd love some more info, but I'll contact personally.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 07:22:11 pm by Riddlez »
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 05:06:57 am »
Well Carabino, you are more than welcome to join any event you want, be it Napoleonic, WW1 or CivWar.

And Riddlez, you are Dutch, right? Most of the CW memembers are Dutch so I believe it should be rather easy to take part. I am sure you can get transportation easily. Or if you have your own car/transport, even better.

Offline Nightdragger

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 06:31:38 pm »
I'm reenacting the civil war too in austria... but as a rebel XD
2nd South Carolina Rifles. Maybe not the best idea to come to you :P

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 09:50:51 pm »
Well Carabino, you are more than welcome to join any event you want, be it Napoleonic, WW1 or CivWar.

And Riddlez, you are Dutch, right? Most of the CW memembers are Dutch so I believe it should be rather easy to take part. I am sure you can get transportation easily. Or if you have your own car/transport, even better.

As soon as I get more info on what my next half-year will look like in terms of studying.... I will contact you guys most certainly.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 10:06:48 am »
Actually, I could be interested :) I do only napoleonic reenactement as you know and I always wanted to try WW1, I just can't pay a whole gear for it.

So if you are interested, I just shared some information on Facebook regarding the two events we are going to attend this year.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:07:20 am by OlafTest »

Offline Brave Sir Charge

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 11:33:11 am »
Sounds really interesting, I might start putting aside some funding for this.
''It's bit like an extension of the 1980's with shittier style'' ~Caselius while discussing the 90's
'' And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.''

Verzet tegen de Duitse consulaat!

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 02:14:44 pm »
As I expressed my interst in this before, I would like to come... However, As I told you, I have zero experience with re-enactment =P
But hey, I thought I'd just ask: Would I be allowed/welcome to come? I mean to Medingschanze, since that one is the earliest...

As for being available, I am (pretty much always) free on the weekends, it's just the Fridays that are a problem...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 02:33:05 pm »
I'm reenacting the civil war too in austria... but as a rebel XD
2nd South Carolina Rifles. Maybe not the best idea to come to you :P

Coming to Walldürn this year?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 02:35:28 pm by Duuring »

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 02:54:52 pm »
Sounds really interesting, I might start putting aside some funding for this.

You don't really need much though, because we can pretty much supply you with everything until you have money to buy your own gear.

As I expressed my interst in this before, I would like to come... However, As I told you, I have zero experience with re-enactment =P
But hey, I thought I'd just ask: Would I be allowed/welcome to come? I mean to Medingschanze, since that one is the earliest...

As for being available, I am (pretty much always) free on the weekends, it's just the Fridays that are a problem...

Obviously you are allowed to join us on an event. Walldürn is actually before Medingschanze, if you are interested in CW.
And before that we have a couple of Napoleonic events, the earliest one is end of Feb. in the NL.

Most events start on fridays, which basically means everyone gathers on the friday, some earlier some later, so that before midnight everyone is there. Fridays are usually quite lax, maybe a little bit of drill for those that have already arrived, but mostly it is just gathering.
So if you have to work on friday, that is no big problem. The events actually properly start on Saturday morning.
Walldürn is a bit different as it is one day longer and moves the friday activities to a thursday. However, you can still arrive on the friday and only make Saturday and Sunday. It is no problem.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 03:00:41 pm by Olafson »