Author Topic: Napoleonic Wars - Current state - almost dead?  (Read 4590 times)

Offline YS23

• Second Lieutenant
  • Ὑπομονὴ κερδίον.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Xephaeston
  • Side: Neutral
Napoleonic Wars - Current state - almost dead?
« on: July 03, 2023, 01:15:36 pm »
Greetings everyone

I am actually saddened by the fact at what state the game is in. I see so many Napoleonic Era games dying. A lot of older Napoleonic games are not satisfying to play anymore due to their graphics being outdated and gameplay mechanics. Take Napoleon Total War for example, with recent updates the game is broken. Sound is not working properly and regular crashes. Mods do not work at all anymore. Now to come back to the topic of NW. Ofcourse, this game is getting old, but the gameplay is still a lot better than the current state of Sword & Musket for Bannerlord and the game from Anvil Studios called Holdfast. I understand that people are growing older and their personal lives are getting busier. Teamspeak servers are expensive (for this we have also Discord which is free) and maintaining an ingame server is expensive too. I also see that many people play this game solely for tournaments and these lists that I've seen. Why can we not enjoy the game as historical enthusiasts who care about this time period? I do not wish to offend anyone, this is merely a picture that I get.

Isn't there really any way to revive Napoleonic Wars for Warband? I would like to help in any way I can since I am a big Napoleonic Era enthusiast and it pains me to see that there aren't many games out there to enjoy within that time period.

Wursti

Re: Napoleonic Wars - Current state - almost dead?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 01:16:37 pm »
Well I know of atleast 50+ active regiments, so it doesnt seem that dead

its mostly competetive players that left the game themselves and try to talk it dead :D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 01:20:42 pm by Wursti »

Offline YS23

• Second Lieutenant
  • Ὑπομονὴ κερδίον.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 01:23:32 pm »
Well I know of atleast 50+ active regiments, so it doesnt seem that dead
Lot's of regiments have disbanded. Compared to 2014 the game has lost a lot of players (which is understandable). The forums are also barely being used anymore. The contacts of these 50+ regiments are difficult to find since it seems that many don't use the forums any longer. Also foreign regiments that don't speak English have decreased. Take for example, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Swedish, Turkish. Lot's of these regiments that speak these languages have little to none existent anymore. I am only trying to find a way to bring more life into this game, I only don't know how.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 01:40:37 pm by Mikhail Maksimov »

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2023, 02:03:00 pm »
I do find it quite funny that only now people come out of the woodworks to try and keep the game alive. Probably should have done something sooner if you really cared that much.

There is still a casual community, but the comp one (at least the high level comp scene) is very much dead.
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline YS23

• Second Lieutenant
  • Ὑπομονὴ κερδίον.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 02:04:28 pm »
I do find it quite funny that only now people come out of the woodworks to try and keep the game alive. Probably should have done something sooner if you really cared that much.

There is still a casual community, but the comp one (at least the high level comp scene) is very much dead.
What can one individual achieve? I wanted to help much sooner, but my voice is irrelevant.

That is good to hear that there are still casual groups as I am more interested in this game for the historical aspect and bigger linebattles.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 02:29:02 pm by Mikhail Maksimov »

Offline Chainsor

• Major General
  • Nr13 - Hauptmann, EGS
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nr13_Hptm_Chainsor
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 03:52:46 pm »
Imo the game is somewhat still "active". Obviously the numbers aren't the same as they were a few years ago but you can still find a good amount of casual players during the regular events. I can somewhat retrace the "50+" number by wursti, but lets be real: We dont really see them. Back in the days we had 2-3 full linebattle servers per day. Right now we barely fill 1 server. Also have a look at the casual servers which attracted a good amount of players a few years back. This aint the case anymore. The comp scene is basically non exisiting anymore, because many, including me, dont have the interest to actively play at all. Right now I personally only play the game because I enjoy playing it with my regiment. It somewhat feels like a "burn out" for many people i assume

Now? I think you forgot this has been a topic the last 3-4 years ish

Wursti

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 03:54:53 pm »
chuck fainsor

Offline YS23

• Second Lieutenant
  • Ὑπομονὴ κερδίον.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2023, 04:15:06 pm »
Imo the game is somewhat still "active". Obviously the numbers aren't the same as they were a few years ago but you can still find a good amount of casual players during the regular events. I can somewhat retrace the "50+" number by wursti, but lets be real: We dont really see them. Back in the days we had 2-3 full linebattle servers per day. Right now we barely fill 1 server. Also have a look at the casual servers which attracted a good amount of players a few years back. This aint the case anymore. The comp scene is basically non exisiting anymore, because many, including me, dont have the interest to actively play at all. Right now I personally only play the game because I enjoy playing it with my regiment. It somewhat feels like a "burn out" for many people i assume
Exactly. They are almost nowhere to be found. Public servers have also decreased. There are only 2 servers I could think of that are somewhat populated, but not by much anymore. I get that with the competitive scene people get burn outs. People want to win and it brings stress for many players. Many say that casual events are boring and only the competitive scene interests them. But where is their enthusiasm for the Napoleonic Era? And I get it, it's a game, it's supposed to be fun. Getting shot in the beginning of a round and then waiting for an hour isn't amusing indeed. But, there are flag spawn events now which counter this problem, and honestly I enjoyed them quite a lot. Still do, actually. I want to change the state of the game, to bring more players and have these events rocking again like they used to. But as an individual with an irrelevant voice, I do not know how.

Wursti

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2023, 04:18:10 pm »
Maybe remove ze Tomaten from your eyes if you cant see the regiments, i see every reg of the ones I have on my docs for NWMC

chuck fainsor

ofc its more dead than in especially 2018 and before but comparing 2023 to these times is stupid

Casual is well alive, its just the top players that all seem to have left as price said, compared to last year
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 04:21:17 pm by Wursti »

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2023, 04:21:17 pm »
Now? I think you forgot this has been a topic the last 3-4 years ish
I was referring to the casuals, such as OP.
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline YS23

• Second Lieutenant
  • Ὑπομονὴ κερδίον.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2023, 06:50:20 pm »
Casual is well alive, its just the top players that all seem to have left as price said, compared to last year
Then why can I barely see any regimental activity on public servers for trying to recruit people? To play in general? They also don't use the forums anymore. It is very difficult to get in touch with them. Casual is not so very alive anymore as you might think. Public servers are also getting more and more empty. Yes some events might still happen. I understand we will never be able to go back to the peak of NW once had. My only wish is to bring more players to the game so we can have multiple large events again and a bigger playerbase.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 06:52:32 pm by Mikhail Maksimov »

Offline Zeyden 狼

• Major
  • 2 fast 4 u ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Amaterasu/Envy/Team France
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 11:01:00 pm »
Then why can I barely see any regimental activity on public servers for trying to recruit people? To play in general? They also don't use the forums anymore. It is very difficult to get in touch with them. Casual is not so very alive anymore as you might think. Public servers are also getting more and more empty. Yes some events might still happen. I understand we will never be able to go back to the peak of NW once had. My only wish is to bring more players to the game so we can have multiple large events again and a bigger playerbase.
Competitive is 95% dead, but casual is still a bit more alive and if you can't find regular players on the servers anymore it's just because there aren't any left, the only casuals are centralized around the remaining regiments, and they're probably only logging on to play events
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 04:40:17 am by Zeyden 狼 »

Offline YS23

• Second Lieutenant
  • Ὑπομονὴ κερδίον.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2023, 11:21:28 pm »
Lately, I have been playing NW daily. Mostly Tropical Paradise and Minisiege. I haven't seen a lot of individuals with regiment tags. There is truth in Zeyden's comment. However, there are still people playing on these servers frequently, but they aren't as populated as ever. And most of them don't like regiments at all. Today, I was on Minisiege and almost the full L-G regiment was there. Good to see them still going.

Offline [Stryker]

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 92nd CSjt
    • View Profile
    • My Yt Channel
  • Nick: Stryker
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2023, 03:08:28 pm »
Only real solution is making NW an independent game which is not possible. FSE tried a while back and if I’m remembering correctly Paradox shot the idea down.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 03:31:49 pm by [Stryker] »

Online tommyxd

• Major General
  • Swigma Male
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 96y_Kpt_tommyxd
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2023, 03:29:09 pm »
Lately, I have been playing NW daily. Mostly Tropical Paradise and Minisiege. I haven't seen a lot of individuals with regiment tags. There is truth in Zeyden's comment. However, there are still people playing on these servers frequently, but they aren't as populated as ever. And most of them don't like regiments at all. Today, I was on Minisiege and almost the full L-G regiment was there. Good to see them still going.
There casual community is split in 2 basically, the pubs who play on tp and minisiege, of whom the majority seem to hate regiments with a passion especially on tropical. And the regimental players who mainly play events or modded events