Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 11386 times)

Offline KurassierNixon

• First Lieutenant
  • Nemo me impune lacessit
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Panini
  • Side: Union
Where to start?
« on: October 29, 2014, 10:43:48 pm »
Hello all, lurked around this thread for a while and am now finally deciding that I want to go out and try reenacting. I live in Arizona, USA so I'm not too sure there is a huge reenacting community here. Money isn't too much of an issue but obviously I can't spend thousands of dollars traveling to the east coast every weekend. I'm just wondering if you guys could help me out finding a unit to reenact with and what the cheapest reenactment kit would probably be. I already own a Mosin-Nagant and some terrible reproduction german helmets but that's about it. Thanks for reading  8)

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 10:48:19 pm »
Because you're in the US I would say ACW, do you have a particular period that you thought you might want to do?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 10:56:01 pm »
I've contacted the experts. Please stay put until their arrival.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 11:06:09 pm »
The experts has arrived.

Are you interested to do WW2 reenacting judging those ww2 items you have. There is couple good Germans unit I can recommend. But I can find other nationalies for you like US or Soviet.

Plenty of ACW unit around you. Confederate or Federals?

Welcome btw.

Offline KurassierNixon

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 12:05:22 am »
The experts has arrived.

Are you interested to do WW2 reenacting judging those ww2 items you have. There is couple good Germans unit I can recommend. But I can find other nationalies for you like US or Soviet.

Plenty of ACW unit around you. Confederate or Federals?

Welcome btw.

US, Nazi, and/or Soviets would be cool and I really don't mind which ACW side as long as I can get a unit. (Unless one is alot more demanding than the other)

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 12:19:55 am »
http://www.501stpir.com/reenactingorgunits.html

Heres bunch of well known unit, some of them may be outdated, but mostly are just up and running.

Landrik probably know some good units in Az, I have seen bunch of good 1st Waffen SS impression in AZ.

Offline KurassierNixon

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 12:23:00 am »
http://www.501stpir.com/reenactingorgunits.html

Heres bunch of well known unit, some of them may be outdated, but mostly are just up and running.

Landrik probably know some good units in Az, I have seen bunch of good 1st Waffen SS impression in AZ.

Awesome thanks, I may have to settle with a Southern Cali one if I can't find any AZ units.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 02:02:09 am »
Wish you were closer to Texas, home of one of the best heer unit. Kampfgruppe Steiner but SoCal have plently of decent ww2 reenactments. You get the awesome air shows there because of the ideal weathers for restored vehicles.

Offline KurassierNixon

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 03:04:04 am »
Wish you were closer to Texas, home of one of the best heer unit. Kampfgruppe Steiner but SoCal have plently of decent ww2 reenactments. You get the awesome air shows there because of the ideal weathers for restored vehicles.

I plan to attend college in Texas so hopefully I can look into it

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 03:14:42 am »
Then I come highly recommended for Kampfgruppe Steiner, great group, one of their member admin a great german reenactor page on fb.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 03:20:59 am »
I can echo everything Deo has said. There are reenacting units in Arizona, but I'm not sure of their names. Half of reenacting is finding an impression you're interested in and the other half is finding a great group to roll with. For me, my reenacting comrades are exactly that - comrades. If you can really get in with a good group of fellows, you'll really enjoy yourself.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline KurassierNixon

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 03:22:17 am »
I can echo everything Deo has said. There are reenacting units in Arizona, but I'm not sure of their names. Half of reenacting is finding an impression you're interested in and the other half is finding a great group to roll with. For me, my reenacting comrades are exactly that - comrades. If you can really get in with a good group of fellows, you'll really enjoy yourself.

yeah unfortunately I don't have any family/friends in reenacting and all the group I've come across are either 5 men big or too far away for me to join.

Offline Butts

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 03:34:18 am »
Hehe, fellow Arizonan! Not that I know anything about reeacting but I know theres a reeanactment down south: Battle of Picaho Pass? Dont know much about it but maybe if you're intrsted you could look there.

Offline KurassierNixon

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 03:37:13 am »
Hehe, fellow Arizonan! Not that I know anything about reeacting but I know theres a reeanactment down south: Battle of Picaho Pass? Dont know much about it but maybe if you're intrsted you could look there.

Arizona Stronk. Yeah Picacho Pass is the largest reenactment here and I'm hoping to go next year :D

Offline Butts

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 03:38:13 am »

Arizona Stronk. Yeah Picacho Pass is the largest reenactment here and I'm hoping to go next year :D
Have fun!!