Author Topic: Things you need to do if you wish to keep this mod alive.  (Read 10285 times)

Offline Momcilo

• Private
    • View Profile
Things you need to do if you wish to keep this mod alive.
« on: February 25, 2014, 09:03:19 pm »
Technical stuff (Only issues I've encountered):

1. Nerf the pistols by reducing their accuracy.
2. Fix 3rd person if it's possible. Hardcoded  :(
3. Implement new factions.
4. If possible, add an option to only display your own kills.
5. Delete if possible all NW maps. Server side issue.
6. Add urban city maps, for close quaters combat.

Social stuff (Most important):

1. Organize regular OPEN PUBLIC events once a week, events in which clans participate but public players can join as they wish.
2. Organize regular CLOSED PUBLIC events once a week, events which are more organized but public players can join.
3. Try and kill the bot siege servers, as it drains the population from the main part of the game.
4. Find a way to advertise the modification more via YouTube and other means. See if you can find someone to do that stuff.

This would amount to two events a week. I can't stress enough how important the events are in keeping the mod alive. Also, I can't stress enough how closing those events from the public kills the mod, because it puts aside the population that keeps it alive - pubbies. My advice is to start organizing events once you have fixed these technical issues of the game.

One thing that would make this mod explode in population would be adding a territory war system, similar to the one CRPG uses because without persistence all are doomed to fail. I know this will never happen, but I have the right to dream :D

So far, the mod is amazing. I wish you all the best luck and I hope to see it up and running for a long time.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 04:13:36 pm by Momcilo »

Offline Xanderman

• Donator
  • Victory through incompetence. Old 7th guards rifle
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Alexander
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Things you need to do if you wish to keep this mod alive.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:10:21 pm »
but I have the right to dream :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V57lotnKGF8[/youtube]

Offline SaxonCamel

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Roger Palfrey aka Roger the Dodger
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:11:40 pm »
1. Organize regular OPEN PUBLIC events once a week, events in which clans participate but public players can join as they wish.
2. Organize regular CLOSED PUBLIC events once a week, events which are more organized but public players can join.

I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Offline Momcilo

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:39:39 pm »

I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Saga

• Major General
  • Patiently waiting for BCOF since 2012.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 09:51:35 pm »

That could actually work... Now if only I had a server...

Offline [15th]Harvain

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Harvain ModKiller
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 11:06:38 pm »

People have to do public events, mainly on Conquest maps, if this mod is gonna survive and they best start soon and be daily, not even weekly, as its already not looking good.

People will go where there is pops, regardless of the server name, mode (usually). Most just see lots of players and ask the server name and mode later lol
Co-killer of the Iron Europe mod for Napoleonic Wars.

Offline Rigadoon

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rigadoon
  • Side: Union
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 11:21:19 pm »
Sure.
2. Fix 3rd person if it's possible.
Not broken if you have any bit of adaptability.
Obviously. Though you make it sound easy.
Don't see the need.
5. Delete if possible all NW maps.
Doable.
Sure.

Offline Momcilo

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 11:56:48 pm »

It's not about adaptability, match two persons of the same skill and the one using first person will win because he doesn't have to waste a second to use his adaptability. It's broken, if it's not possible to fix it then say so, but don't say it aint.

Obviously. Though you make it sound easy.

Didn't say it was, just stated the obvious thing that needs to be done.

Don't see the need.

It's not needed, but would be a big + if your screen wasn't covered with other peoples kill/death messages all the time.

People have to do public events, mainly on Conquest maps, if this mod is gonna survive and they best start soon and be daily, not even weekly, as its already not looking good.

People will go where there is pops, regardless of the server name, mode (usually). Most just see lots of players and ask the server name and mode later lol

I agree with everything except doing the events daily, it's too much of a hassle to be organized every day and two times a week is enough. The rest of the days servers would be filled by players with no need of an event being organized simply because they will have a desire to play it after awesome events  :D

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 12:07:50 am »

+1 I headshot across the map with a pistol just as often with a rifle, they're awesome (too awesome :'()

Don't fix what ain't broke.

M'hm, I'd rather that they make the stuff we already have work properly and be relatively bug free (or as far as they can go without taking unreasonably long).

I've only ever had this really be an issue in sieges where there's a massive and continuous kill feed that blocks half the screen, and as the practical limit is 75 players and siege isn't an entirely popular game mode (apart from the 15th HvB server), I don't see this as a high priority issue, just a side option that they might want to implement if it would be easy to do.

5. Delete if possible all NW maps.

+1

+1, would be awesome to do a game with less snipers and artillerymen murdering you from across the map.

Social stuff (Most important):

3. Try and kill the bot siege servers, as it drains the population from the main part of the game.
4. Find a way to advertise the modification more via YouTube and other means. See if you can find someone to do that stuff.

I agree with all this :)
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 01:43:36 am »
HvB needs to go, I'm sick of seeing it as the only server with a decent population. How do you even enjoy it anyway, the bots can't use guns, they just bayonet charge, it's not like AZW or FU2 where you're really defending against angry people trying to hold out, it's just shooting moving targets.

Offline Joseph Graham

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 01:47:54 am »
HvB needs to go, I'm sick of seeing it as the only server with a decent population. How do you even enjoy it anyway, the bots can't use guns, they just bayonet charge, it's not like AZW or FU2 where you're really defending against angry people trying to hold out, it's just shooting moving targets.

Good luck trying to enforce that.

Offline Rigadoon

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rigadoon
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 03:46:25 am »
It's not about adaptability, match two persons of the same skill and the one using first person will win because he doesn't have to waste a second to use his adaptability. It's broken, if it's not possible to fix it then say so, but don't say it aint.
I will say it ain't, simply because it really isn't. I have no reason to lie to you about what I truly believe and I find it insulting that you think that's what I'm doing to win this disagreement. I, and many others I know, have completely no problem playing in third person. Plus, even if third person was a disadvantage, which it isn't, it's pretty stupid to call it broken as that would mean it is unusable. I never use first person unless if shooting over an object, and can consistently get high scores. Again, I know of many others that feel the same way. Just because you don't prefer third-person doesn't mean it's broken. Not to mention what Killington has been saying, third person offers a wide range of other advantages. Trying to fix a non-existent issue is a waste of the team's time. So is trying to fix a minor disadvantage which people can easily adjust to and play on the same level as those on third person.

Don't see the need.
It's not needed, but would be a big + if your screen wasn't covered with other peoples kill/death messages all the time.
You have a good point. I'm pretty sure such a thing is not possible but perhaps we can work to make the kill messages less annoying.

Offline Xanderman

• Donator
  • Victory through incompetence. Old 7th guards rifle
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Alexander
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 07:47:54 am »
I did tell the IE team before launch that bot servers would cause the death of the mod.

Offline [15th]Harvain

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Harvain ModKiller
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 08:04:24 am »
I did tell the IE team before launch that bot servers would cause the death of the mod.

We only put the IE HvB up for lols, we knew going in, the bots could never shoot. We fixed up our maps, removed those that would never work and we have had a good IE HvB pop consistently since the mod released.

Ironically, we sometimes have more people on our IE HvB, than our NW HvB.

1 server or server type won't kill a mod. Not having players and public players, will kill it.
Co-killer of the Iron Europe mod for Napoleonic Wars.

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 09:27:33 am »
People see where the most people are and go to that, thus the other servers stay empty and the actuall purpose of the mod. (playing against eachother) dies with it. - Atleast I guess thats the purpose of these kind of mods.

Never liked bot servers. Full Invasion II is for that purpose.