Author Topic: 7de Bataljon Belgische Infanterie ◄ The Iron Waffles ►  (Read 5508 times)

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
7de Bataljon Belgische Infanterie ◄ The Iron Waffles ►
« on: November 12, 2013, 07:22:32 am »
7de Bataljon Belgische Infanterie
"The Iron Waffles"

A B O U T   T H E   I R O N   W A F F L E S

What to expect
The Iron Waffles are an old and experienced unit. We expect each member to have fun and to be a part of the community. Our requirements aren't based around skill - everybody can learn. To be an Iron Waffle requires you to get along with the other members of the community which shouldn't be hard. The Iron Waffles take care of each other and if you are fortunate enough to join our ranks, then you can look forward to having some of the best friends you could ever imagine. We don't take kindly to those who take away from the fun of the rest of the group and especially those who try to cause anger and division in the ranks. The Iron Waffles all share a friendship and comradery forged in the fires of battle. You are expected to show an aptitude for working in the field, but everybody is given the chance to prove themselves because sometimes what looks like a dirty, useless stone, is really a diamond waiting to be polished. You will be taught to shoot, fight in close quarters, maneuver the battlefield, and to make split second decisions that could save your life or your comrades.

Joining
Earning the right to be called an Iron Waffle has become more difficult yet rewarding than ever. After filling out an application, if an officer of the regiment approves said application, each candidate will go through a 2 week trial period known as "Waffle Camp." You will be judged and evaluated by your officers based upon your ability to communicate and work well with others, whether or not you detract from the overall fun of the group, as well as your willingness to learn and your gallantry. After the 2 weeks is up, you will either be accepted or declined. If you are declined, you may be given another chance if an officer of the regiment is willing to vouch for you. If you graduate from Waffle Camp then congratulations! You will be given your tags and welcomed into the ranks of the Iron Waffles as a Fuselier. From there, it is up to you to earn your ranks through skill and bravery.

Expectations
1) Display proper - if not excessive - gallantry
2) Display a sense of skill in the field or at least a willingness to learn field skills
3) The battlefield/training ground is usually not the place for screwing around
4) There is no age limit, but in battle we want players who will act at least semi-mature
5) Racism/discrimination will not be tolerated.
6) Remember to have fun

Things to know
The Iron Waffles are a group deeply rooted in the school of thought that this is a game and should be enjoyed. But at the same time, we boast a high level of morale and an unmatched Esprit de Corps. We accomplish this through cunning tactics, fierce determination, refined talent, and the pride of knowing you are part of a close-knit unit of reliable, enjoyable, skilled individuals. If you can rise to the challenge and meet the expectations, then you will, without a doubt, get the most out of your time in this regiment.

H I S T O R Y   O F   T H E   7 D E

7de Bataljon Belgische Infanterie
Regimental History
The 7de was formed from the 2nd Infantry Regiment of Flanders (Belgian Legion) shortly after the United Kingdom of the Netherlands was granted its sovereignty in 1813. The battalion was made up of men from Belgium and even one man from Philadelphia, America! It was stationed in Ghent and therefore most of its men were Flemish however that does not mean there were no Walloons in the 7de. Much of the 7de was made up of former veterans of the French army, Commander Francois-Chretien Vandensande served in the famous French 112th Line Infantry Regiment, and was awarded with Légion d’Honneur for personally bravery at the Battle of Raab. Captain L’Olivier served in the French 7th Line Infantry Regiment as commander of grenadier company. Captain Nieuport served in the French 13th Tirailleur Regiment of Young Guard. Lieutenant Nieulandt served in the 1st Regiment of Honor Guard. Lieutenant Scheltens served in the famous Grenadiers of Old Guard. Even the American, Martinus Fox, had fought in the Portugese army in every campaign during the Peninsular War.

Many men from the 7de earned battle honors for their bravery, many of them even received the Military Order Of William, the equivalent of the French Legion d'Honneur. And during the Battle of Quatre Bras, several members of the 7de saved the Prince of Orange from being captured by French chasseurs a cheval. Grateful to these men, the Prince tore a jewelled insignia from his coat and tossed it to them shouting "There my brave fellows! You have all deserved it!" With a cheer they fixed the insignia to their colors and carried on the fight.

During the Battle of Waterloo, the 7de fought as part of the Bijlandt Brigade which was positioned at the center of the allied lines, near La Haye Sainte. The Bijlandt Brigade was the first to endure the French infantry attack of d'Erlon's Corps as they were the furthest deployed allied brigade. The Bijlandt Brigade - which was the smallest of the Allied Brigades in the center - was subjected to the largest column of French infantry which was the column of Donzelot's Division. Lieutenant Hope of the British 92nd Gordon Highlanders wrote "The Belgians were assailed with a terrible fury and returned the fire of the enemy for quite some time with great spirit." And Colonel Van Zuylen Van Nyevelt wrote "Having approach us to within 50 paces not a shot had been fired, but now the impatience of the soldiers could do no longer be restrained, and they greeted the enemy with a double row." The 7de and the rest of the Bijlandt Brigade fearlessly fought the French at a terrifyingly close distance of 25 meters apart. They were led personally by the Prince of Orange in several assaults and bayonet charges that actually pushed the French infantry back before the famous charge of the British heavy cavalry. And during the battle, the Bijlandt Brigade actually advanced forward and drove the French infantry back, pursuing them all the way to the bottom of the slope until they ran out of ammunition. This event happened well before Wellington's "General Advance" order. After the battle, the 7de was heavily under strength, it's victory had come at a cost. But they continued on the march to Paris, victors of Waterloo and brave men all.
[close]

Unit Commander
Luitenant-Kolonel François-Chrétien Van de Sande

Battles
16 June 1815 - Quatre Bras, Heavily Engaged
18 June 1815 - Waterloo, Heavily Engaged, definite influence on the outcome of the battle

Ranks
Kolonel (Kol)
Kapitein (Kpt)
Luitenant (Lt)

Sergeant (Sgt)
Korporaal (Kpl)
Fuselier/Grenadier/Flankeur (Fuse)/(Gren)/(Flank)

Candidate (Can)

Punishments
Spoiler
Warning - Three warnings will be delivered before any punishment is issued
Level 1 - "Flogging"
Level 2 - "Pistol lobotomy"
Level 3 - "Cannon Enema"
Level 4 - "Reassigned" Forced to fight the next linebattle as a guard to the artillery
Level 5 - Denied access to the next linebattle
Level 6 - Kicked from the regiment
[close]

T H E   C O M M U N I T Y

Battalion March
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j4t185wl-0[/youtube]

Battalion Flag

A P P L I C A T I O N   F O R M

Code
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Steam Name:[/b]
[b]Nationality:[/b]
[b]Give your skill an honest 1-10 rating:[/b]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 05:28:59 pm by KillerMongoose »

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
Re: 7de Bataljon Infanterie Van Lijn ◄ The Iron Waffles ►
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 07:22:54 am »
*reserved*

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 07:23:01 am »
*reserved*

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 07:26:33 am »
Good luck my friends! I remember when the 1tes shared a team speak with you! :)
Pointy stick champion

Offline alpkerem

• Second Lieutenant
  • Nr.24 moar liek Nr 1
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Sheikh alpkerem
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 07:30:31 am »
Weeeeeeeeee Killer's back.. w8 did he ever left :-\
u herd it here thirst, alp likes 2 breaking the rules

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 07:32:41 am »
I did for a while but I just couldn't stay away it seems :P I suppose you could say that a part of me will always stray over the hills and far away ;)

Offline MrSt3fan

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 33rd_Col_MrSt3fan
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 07:42:58 am »
Good Luck !:D

Offline Celtichugs

• Second Lieutenant
  • Captain of the 42nd Highlanders, "the Black Watch"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 02:57:19 pm »

Dear God.

Offline Gojkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 02:57:58 pm »
Best of luck from 68th (Durham) Regiment of Foot! :)

Offline Vliegende Hollander

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 82nd_Pte_George_Wilson
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 04:40:23 pm »
Good luck / veel geluk :D

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 04:43:23 pm »
Van lijn? Pls. Van ligne. Or 'van Linie' if you want to keep it reaaaal Dutch.

:P

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 05:06:15 pm »
Thank you for all the good luck wishes everybody!

And Duuring, I knew I could count on you showing up xD what is the difference between lijn, ligne, and linie? You silly Dutch are so silly

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 05:22:26 pm »
'lijn' can mean any sort of line, while 'Linie' is specifically military. Ligne is French, and a lot of French words were used in those days, not always officially.

The 7th, being Belgian/South-NL, probably referred to itself als the 7e Batallion de Ligne. You know, because none of the officers had bothered to learn Dutch or anything.  :P
The chief of staff of the Division uses the words 'linie' and 'ligne' indiscriminately in his diary. He also calls them "7de Bataljon Zuid-Nederlandse Infantrie" a few times. One time he calls them regiment. This guy is just too unclear.

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 05:28:11 pm »
I see, somebody should have told you Dutch that you don't need multiple words for one thing :P (Eg- De & Het)

The Officers more than likely would have gone by the French name however the rankers were mostly Dutch speaking, being raised in Ghent and all. And weren't all of the Dutch/Belgian infantry units basically just single-battalion regiments?

Offline Dan the Seagull Chef

• Commander in Chief
  • I use a pinch of Jesus in every dish.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [Chef]Dan_the_Chef
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 05:29:10 pm »
Good luck!  ;)
Wanna help the Wiki, join the Discord! Here are also the FSE Thread and Taleworlds Thread.